JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey All, was wondering if anyone had experience with two of the Criterion Barrel profiles. I'm pretty much settled on using a Criterion Barrel for my next 223/5.56 Upper build, but am stuck between the Core Series and Hybrid 14.5 inch. Reviews on the Core series seem to be amazing but I find very little on the hybrid. I was originally thinking going for a Block 2 M4ish setup for versatility and durability. In my head the hybrid profile is a little more like the popular "SOCOM" profile barrel but in .223 Wylde. Apologize ahead of time for noob nerdiness incoming.

I've read reviews on both profiles in general and looked at the specs, but no one seems to have a direct comparison between the two. Most of the specs are the same - Chamber (.223 Wylde), Material (4150 CrMoV), Finish (Chrome-lined, Phosphate), Length (14.5 inch), Gas Length (mid), Twist (1-8), Groves (6), etc.
Key comparison points:
  • Weight
    • Core: 1.65 lbs (26.4 oz)
    • Hybrid: 1.85 lbs (29.6 oz)
  • Balance
    • Core: Bias towards the receiver
    • Hybrid: More evenly distributed
  • Gas Block Diameter
    • Core: 0.625 inch
    • Hybrid: 0.750 inch
Obviously these three specs all boil down to weight/mass and balance. I like the idea of the extra mass as piece of mind when considering heat. I'd like to have a barrel that can get hot under constant use but maintain accuracy through it. My original consideration was people's rave reviews of the Block 2 M4 and how well it held up in adverse conditions and maintained accuracy. However, I've seen tests from people like 9-Hole Reviews who tested a Block 2 vs a DDM4 Govt Profile. Basically there really doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to using a heavier barrel aside from potential durability and maybe some added benefits for sustained automatic fire (which I can't and won't do).

So am I just over thinking this and leaning towards something because in my head the logic for the durability and reliability make sense? Weight is always a factor for the human error side of accuracy and performance so should that be the bigger factor. I am fairly fit and train, but in the imaginary apocalyptic situation where I actually have to use my weapons would that 0.2oz and balance shift make a difference? Naturally I understand a weapon is only as good as the meat sack using it so training and practice are ultimately more important. However, I'm sure plenty of us still get a good chunk of our fun out with stats and specs. Anyways, looking for feedback based on my nerdy thoughts and your experiences. Was leaning towards to the Hybrid partially because I have a couple 0.750 adjustable gas blocks already and not sure it worth making a decision based on less than a 1/4 oz of weight. I maybe shoot this suppressed on occasion in the future if I can get the wife approval on purchasing one if that factors in at all.

Pictures of profiles for reference:
Core:
1680716644777.png
Hybrid:
1680716610506.png
SOCOM:
1680717220938.png

I prefer the Core barrel profile over the Govt profile. I have 2 Criterion Core barrels, a BCM ELW and a SIONICS LW, all are basically the same in that respect, same goes for Hanson profile barrels. The meat of the barrel is at the chamber where all the heat and forces originate. The consistent taper not only helps with balance it also helps with better harmonics. This type of profile really help when you start adding weight to the front of the gun with lights, lasers and such.

That said if you are doing a "Block 2 M4ish setup" the Hybrid is a more correct profile but the one you have picture has a mid-length gas system, you would want a 14.5" carbine length which Criterion does not make (they make a 16"). I rebuilt my Colt 6920 to a "Block 2 M4ish setup" using a Colt SOCOM barrel and DD RIS II FSP. Centurion Arms SOCOM barrel would also be an option.

Also, I don't use adjustable gas blocks on anything. All the barrels mentioned have a reasonable sized gas port and really do not need them.

However, I've seen tests from people like 9-Hole Reviews who tested a Block 2 vs a DDM4 Govt Profile. Basically there really doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to using a heavier barrel aside from potential durability and maybe some added benefits for sustained automatic fire (which I can't and won't do).
The M4A1 heavy barrel was designed solely to increase the number of rounds before barrel failure. The reason the gas tube was not changed was the "Govt" profile M4 barrel ruptured after about 600 rounds, but the gas tube remained intact (after about 450 rounds the barrel was visibly warped out of shape). The new heavy (SOCOM) barrel lasted over 800 rounds with the gas tube being what failed at 800 rounds.

The Army reasoned that 800 rounds fired as fast as you can was not really that likely, as even the briefest of pauses will allow the gas tube cool enough to carry on . . .

"M4 Carbine Heavy barrel Cook-off," ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ

"Fire to Destruction Test of the 5.56mm, M4A1 Carbine and M16A2 Rifle," ARDEC, Rock Island Arsenal, IL.

Here's the video of the M4 vs M4A1 barrel testing. Really incredible to see that M4 barrel droop before failing, and afterwards watch the Socom barrel withstand firing nearly twice as many rounds before the gas tube fails.

I don't have either of the barrels mentioned but I do have a Criterion barrel in 12.7x42 (50 Beowulf) and that thing is very high quality. Groups fired out of it are better than my skills permit.

The meat of the barrel is at the chamber where all the heat and forces originate. The consistent taper not only helps with balance it also helps with better harmonics. This type of profile really help when you start adding weight to the front of the gun with lights, lasers and such.
☝️This. I run a criterion core wylde and can attest to the harmonics and weight distribution benefits. Saving a little overall weight in the process doesn't hurt either... and not exactly talking a pencil profile to begin with, right. For me though, my priority is successive accuracy over rapid fire round count durability. Unless you're going to be running your barrel really hard... I opt for improved accuracy 98% of the time vs. moderate accuracy 98% of the time because there is a 2% chance I might run it hot someday. YMMV

Obviously, it depends on what your end goal is.

The M4A1 heavy barrel was designed solely to increase the number of rounds before barrel failure. The reason the gas tube was not changed was the "Govt" profile M4 barrel ruptured after about 600 rounds, but the gas tube remained intact (after about 450 rounds the barrel was visibly warped out of shape). The new heavy (SOCOM) barrel lasted over 800 rounds with the gas tube being what failed at 800 rounds.

The Army reasoned that 800 rounds fired as fast as you can was not really that likely, as even the briefest of pauses will allow the gas tube cool enough to carry on . . .

"M4 Carbine Heavy barrel Cook-off," ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ

"Fire to Destruction Test of the 5.56mm, M4A1 Carbine and M16A2 Rifle," ARDEC, Rock Island Arsenal, IL.

Here's the video of the M4 vs M4A1 barrel testing. Really incredible to see that M4 barrel droop before failing, and afterwards watch the Socom barrel withstand firing nearly twice as many rounds before the gas tube fails.

There were some similar testing clips and info in the 9-Hole Review video I mentioned. I can't imagine ever being able to put a barrel through that kind of stress. So that said it sounds like the weight savings and better harmonics of the core are a better choice. Also explains why they're so damn popular.

Did you ever end up picking one up? I just ordered a 16" Hybrid over a CORE because they were in stock. This isn't a hard use rifle so I also liked that the non chrome lined Hybrid was 416-SS vs 4150 CrMoV for the CORE.

Last Edited:
I picked up the Core 14.5" for a Wilson Combat Billet set with WC TR-TTU trigger, Cryptic Coatings Mystic Bronze BCG... just waiting on the WC 13.8" handguard now (and I'm salivating).
I will be switching out the BCG with a WC Bullet Proof but gotta scrap up the funds first ;)
Let us know what you think of the Hybrid barrel once you get some pew pew time in!

Did you ever end up picking one up? I just ordered a 16" Hybrid over a CORE because they were in stock. This isn't a hard use rifle so I also liked that the Hybrid was 416-SS vs 4150 CrMoV for the CORE.
I have not yet. I'm probably going to wait a few months to keep my wife from getting on my case about gun purchases. I'm not in a rush as I have a fully functional upper I'm still training with and need a lot of improvement. I didn't notice they had a hybrid version in SS-416R, I was mainly looking at the 4150 version. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the weight when you get it.

I have not yet. I'm probably going to wait a few months to keep my wife from getting on my case about gun purchases. I'm not in a rush as I have a fully functional upper I'm still training with and need a lot of improvement. I didn't notice they had a hybrid version in SS-416R, I was mainly looking at the 4150 version. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the weight when you get it.
Since you don't mind waiting, I'd suggest putting yourself on their email notification.

Since you don't mind waiting, I'd suggest putting yourself on their email notification.
Appreciate it. I am actually on it right now. I saw they were taking pre-orders again a couple weeks ago but didn't want to do this round of pre-orders. My wife just on my case for buying a Savage MKII so figured it might not go over well. She thinks I'm going a little too crazy with my guns so I'm trying to pace things out well enough that she doesn't get too annoyed. But on the upside she seems okay with me buying car parts again 😅

Ahhhh crap, thats what I get for not having funds set aside for these things.......49 dang years and you'd think I'd have this stuff figured out :)
I have a few in stock notifications(now out of stock). It usually takes few days to week to go out of stock.
Go to google and search for the Criterion barrel you want.
I was looking for a "Criterion Core 18" barrel". Go to every website that has the Criterion Core 18" and select the In Stock notification option. Sometimes you have to register first to use the in stock notification option. Do it for as many shops as you can. When they come in stock and you'll get a notification. In my case, I reqested so many I had a steady stream of in stock notifications for a while and got all my builds done in a few weeks. Rooftop Defense had around 300 14.5" cores in stock and I watched the number go down over the period of 2 weeks and I picked up 2 before they ran out.
I've been shooting few days every week with the Criterions and appreciate them compared to the BA barrels I had. My PSA 10.5" Wydle is very good though I did not replace that barrel with Criterion.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top