JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have an outside one and did stop by sportsman's for lunch to upgrade (the lee one is small in my hand) but they didn't have one. I'll get one ordered.
I have yet to find a truly good outside reamer. They make VLD reamers which provide a very nice taper for the inside, but what is needed is a very shallow angle outside reamer, as we do not need a 45º bevel on the outside. That still leaves a burr protruding. Still, any outside deburring is better than none.

Just curious, I'm back at it today and back to my original question. How does my crimp look?

Two pics, one bullet

20210408_161128.jpg 20210408_161112.jpg

yes he needs the factory crimp die but trying to find one right now is like finding a female virgin at the mustang ranch.......aint gonna happen.

You can go to Midway, look up the Lee 9mm factory crimp die, and put yourself on the "notify me" list. When they get a batch in, and they still do from time to time, people on the list are notified and if you follow up quickly, you can get one. I'm on the list for a Lee .45 ACP U die at present.

Just curious, I'm back at it today and back to my original question. How does my crimp look?

Two pics, one bullet

View attachment 857639 View attachment 857640
In the pictures it looks like there's a small bit o space between the case wall and the boolet. Then again it could just be picture angle/lighting.

The real question is, will it pass the plunk test? Taking the barrel out, drop the round in the chamber. Does it slide right in? Is there resistance? That'll tell you if you've got enough crimp for sure.

In the pictures it looks like there's a small bit o space between the case wall and the boolet. Then again it could just be picture angle/lighting.

The real question is, will it pass the plunk test? Taking the barrel out, drop the round in the chamber. Does it slide right in? Is there resistance? That'll tell you if you've got enough crimp for sure.
Slides in and out just fine, no resistance. Did it to the factory ammo to get a feel for it then my ammo, was the same. The crimp feels the same also although I see what you're saying. I might do a 1/16th of a turn down for just a hair more.

My question is about your pic of galling on the outside of the case from the expanding/belling operation?
Nothing should be touching the outside of the case during the expand/bell operation.

New or once fired cases will have a burr on both the inside and outside of the case mouth from aggressive tumbling during manufacturing.
You need to remove that burr before reloading, the good news is you only have to do it once.
Seating and Crimping as two operations will greatly reduce the problems you are having too.
Crimping should really be called de-flaring/de-belling, for semi-auto ammo at least, but that's just me.
jmo,

ChamferDeBurr.jpg

Sizing die is touching, I believe I did it right.
View attachment 857536

I am not using any lube as I read that I didn't need to because I have carbide dies. These are deprimed and sized and then put in the tumbler as directed by Lee's tumber instructions.

(The pics above are from a dirty casing that I've been using for testing before I use my cleaned brass)

I'll be rereading your posts tonight after work :). Thanks everyone so far for your insight and suggestions.

9mm isn't a perfectly straight walled cartridge so while you don't need lube with a carbide die it may make the resizing process a little smoother. I just started reloading 9mm because of current prices and was surprised how stiff it was without lube compared to running .45 acp or 10mm. I started throwing some one shot on them before resizing and it helped a lot. Don't think that is the issue with the shaving, but will give your arm a break when resizing a lot of brass.

Two pics, one bullet

You can go to Midway, look up the Lee 9mm factory crimp die, and put yourself on the "notify me" list. When they get a batch in, and they still do from time to time, people on the list are notified and if you follow up quickly, you can get one. I'm on the list for a Lee .45 ACP U die at present.

It looks like you might still have a little belling at the case mouth. I agree with everybody that you will want a factory crimp die when you can get your hands on one. One of the nicest things about the fcd is you can still get a pretty consistent crimp even if your brass isn't all trimmed to the exact same length. Some of Lee's stuff is crap but a a few of their products like the fcd are amazing. I also agree that Midway is a good source. They've been one of the only sites where I've signed up for notifications, got the notification and the item was actually in stock and I was able to order it.

If you haven't tried it... you can also seat the bullet and crimp in separate steps using the die you have. It takes longer but can yield much better results especially for new reloaders. Just back the die out so you aren't crimping while seating the bullet (you will also want to do this if you end up getting a fcd). Once your bullets are seated use the same die but set it up to crimp like you are now except back the bullet seating screw all the way out.

OP: At one point you mentioned that the sizing die was toughing the shell holder? Read the instructions again. Every carbide die maker I know of suggests backing the sizer off just until it is not in contact with the shell holder. There is a possibility that pressure from the shell holder against the carbide die can shatter the extremely hard (but brittle) carbide ring.

Late to the thread but the vertical bright scratches after resizing are not normal. I have never seen anything like it.

Have you ever inspected and cleaned the inside of your sizing die?
Good eye. Those are not the H&K chamber flutes, and it does not seem to be a brass defect, so it must be a dirty size die or dirty crimping die.

so it must be a dirty size die or dirty crimping die.
Well, he shows it after sizing so I am thinking it's a dirty sizing die. I will start to see something very similar (but much less pronounced) on my 9mm brass after a lot of usage however since I have started a basic pre-cleaning of my brass prior to resizing I have not seen it return.

What I am thinking is that there may be some lube on the bullets or perhaps sizing lube on the cases which transfers to the dies. Of course, it then picks up and holds grit.

If his die AND brass are clean he should not need lube since he mentioned using carbide dies.

When I size 9mm (carbide & no lube) I hardly feel any resistance. I think it's a combo of dirty brass & die.

If his die AND brass are clean he should not need lube since he mentioned using carbide dies.

When I size 9mm (carbide & no lube) I hardly feel any resistance. I think it's a combo of dirty brass & die.
Good point, I've not experienced this in many thousands of rounds reloaded, but all brass goes through a pre-clean tumbling before touching the dies. Thus the reason I've never encountered. Darn good advice!

I have ALWAYS pre cleaned brass in some form or another along the way - but now I am liquid tumbling it's a whole lot easier.

I have always noticed brass sizes much easier with even a minimal pre clean to knock some of the imbedded debris off of it. Dies stay much cleaner as well.

Two pics, one bullet

You need to polish the sizing die because it has brass galled in it.
That galled material is brass from the burr on the case mouth of once fired brass being sized for the 1st time.
As I mentioned before, you must remove that burr prior to re-loading it the 1st time.
That galling/scratching creates a weak point that will lead to splitting that shortens case life.
jmo,

Hmmm I usually deprime and then ultrasonic clean...sometimes i do the ultrasonic before depriming/sizing. Then I tumble. I *THINK* you should be fine but that one pic looks odd with the half shiny area. What diameter projectiles are you using?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top