JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been reloading for several years now, but have nowhere near the experience of many of you, so I figured I would ask here.

I recently came into 100+ pounds of mostly rifle brass recovered from grandpas barn, but there is a good portion of .45 brass as well. This is all from the late 60s and early 70s, mostly WCC headstamped. Most, but not all have a full crimp around the middle of the case, presumably at the base of the bullet. So, my question is this. Are these still safe to load, has the crimp compromised the integrity of the case? It obviously had been fired once in this condition and was fine. Is this just the way things were done before? Picture attached of what I am talking about. Three crimped, one is not...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last Edited:
I would only worry about the idea they were stored in a barn. The ammonia from the animal droppings and urine could degrade the brass and cause failure. Probably ok if the barn hasn't been used for livestock.

I would only worry about the idea they were stored in a barn. The ammonia from the animal droppings and urine could degrade the brass and cause failure. Probably ok if the barn hasn't been used for livestock.

This is not a problem. I called it a barn, but "pole barn" or shop would be a better description. There are no animals to worry about, just a mountain of junk covered in decades of dust.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Thanks for all the responses, and such concern for my safety ;)

The brass really is in good shape, stored either in original boxes, or in empty milk jugs, and inside of larger cardboard boxes. I really only was concerned with the crimp.

It will be put to good use!

I pee on my own brass so I know which brass is mine .;) j/k
Like others point out is fine. Just inspect your brass as with any other.
If concerned do not hot load it.

So the bullet doesn't get "seated"/jammed back too deep.. upon feeding. Some weapon designs and or bullet profiles are more prone to this "bullet setback" than others.. and in the case of revolvers, to prevent "bullet jump" that could tie up the revolver.

As Certaindeaf points out... these were probably military cases made in the 40's or 50's that cannelure is there to prevent setback in machineguns like the thompson and M3. Essentially what it does is create a small ridge on the inside of the brass... when you're loading you shouldn't try to seat the bullet deeper than that ridge as it will bulge the case and make it not chamber (you're putting more force with a reloading press than you are striking the feed ramp).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top