JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Abstract: Both the public and sentencing judges regard silenced firearms as more dangerous than ordinary unsi- lenced firearms, and the federal penalty for possession of a silenced firearm during crime is a 30-year mandatory minimum. The assumption that silenced firearms are more dangerous than ordinary firearms has never been em- pirically researched. This study examines federal and state court data to compile statistics on who is being pros- ecuted for possession of silencers and what crimes they are used to commit. This data indicates that both on the federal and state level those prosecuted for crimes involving silencers are far less likely to have a criminal record, and are far less likely to actively use their weapon than those people convicted using ordinary unsilenced firearms. The data indicates that use of silenced firearms in crime is a rare occurrence, and is a minor problem. Moreover, the legislative history of silencer statutes indicates that these provisions were adopted with little or no debate.
The silencer penalty has been justified by a need to crack down on “professional criminals” or to punish people using “dangerous weapons.” The evidence suggests that 30-year minimum sentences make no sense. Mandatory minimums should be repealed and sentencing judges permitted to treat each case on an individualized basis."

http://taurus45acp.com/files/clark.pdf

Too many James Bond movies.....I mean seriously? Most civilians have never even seen or heard a suppressor in real life. How many "professional criminals" use a $1000 suppressor threaded on to their $150 Hi-Point to knock off a 7-11?

Because of the entertainment industry, the general public believes that silencers are used by professional hit men, hence the long mandatory sentences to keep them off the streets. Of course, the movies and TV show silencers to be effective on revolvers, too. :s0114:

Too many James Bond movies.....I mean seriously? Most civilians have never even seen or heard a suppressor in real life. How many "professional criminals" use a $1000 suppressor threaded on to their $150 Hi-Point to knock off a 7-11?

Think outside the box, I can make one for under $10, not all are Gov. approved. Plenty of videos out there to show you how to make one. Only the law abiding pay to get the Gov. approval to have one.

Think outside the box, I can make one for under $10, not all are Gov. approved. Plenty of videos out there to show you how to make one. Only the law abiding pay to get the Gov. approval to have one.

Sorry, I was being completely sarcastic. I realize there are several YouTube videos on the subject.....I just don't think suppressors are very popular with the criminal crowd, but you get my point.

The data indicates that use of silenced firearms in crime is a rare occurrence, and is a minor problem. Moreover, the legislative history of silencer statutes indicates that these provisions were adopted with little or no debate.
The silencer penalty has been justified by a need to crack down on "professional criminals" or to punish people using "dangerous weapons." The evidence suggests that 30-year minimum sentences make no sense. Mandatory minimums should be repealed and sentencing judges permitted to treat each case on an individualized basis."

http://taurus45acp.com/files/clark.pdf
That file is an excellent source of information. I used it extensively in 2010-2011 when I was talking to our legislators about HB 1604 and HB 1016 (silencer use bill) in an attempt (successful after 3 years) to make silencer use legal in WA. I had a few minor nitpicks (like calling tax stamps permits/licenses) but overall it is very nice.

Ranb

You would think all the people that gripe about noise would be thankful for some suppression.
Anti's would never admit anything positive about anything firearms related.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top