JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know firearm safety rules quite well, the operative word is firearm. Not everything that looks like a gun, is a gun.
A modified Glock looks like a Glock to me. I wasn't talking about you personally in regards to the safety rules. I was talking about the kid who pointed the gun and pulled the bang switch.

Sounds like this...

"I was talking about the kid who pointed the gun and pulled the bang switch."

I thought the article said the gun fired without pulling the trigger.
Anything you see in the media (particularly if it involves guns) is of doubtful veracity, so that may or may not be true...
I get the feeling that there's more to it than is readily apparent.

"I was talking about the kid who pointed the gun and pulled the bang switch."

I thought the article said the gun fired without pulling the trigger.
Anything you see in the media (particularly if it involves guns) is of doubtful veracity, so that may or may not be true...
I get the feeling that there's more to it than is readily apparent.
Either way it is the kids fault.

... Not everything that looks like a gun, is a gun.

As far as proper handling it does not matter! You treat it as a firearm until there is absolute assurance from everyone in the space that it is not.

Movie prop guns are triple checked by three independant technicians and then the individual actors involved with the scene (yes prop guns shooting 5 in 1 blanks can kill and injure).

Law enforcement has everyone check each other to ensure they all have blue guns and no duty arms or ammo in the training space.

There are other examples but this post is getting long.

As far as proper handling it does not matter! You treat it as a firearm until there is absolute assurance from everyone in the space that it is not.

Movie prop guns are triple checked by three independant technicians and then the individual actors involved with the scene (yes prop guns shooting 5 in 1 blanks can kill and injure).

Law enforcement has everyone check each other to ensure they all have blue guns and no duty arms or ammo in the training space.

There are other examples but this post is getting long.

Jon-Erik Hexum put a .44 magnum prop gun to his head and pulled the trigger.The wadding shattered his skull. He played the character Phineas Bogg in TV series "Voyagers!" He was bored shooting the pilot episode of "Cover Up".

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0382149/bio?ref_=m_mn_ov_bio

From the news article: " He told police he didn't know the gun was loaded". IOW, he picked up the gun and assumed it was not loaded. That is not a reasonable assumption.

Conclusion: Negligence. Although he didn't do anything deliberately, he neglected to deliberately do something (more than one "something", in fact) that would have avoided the tragedy.

Last Edited:
Regardless of the negligent aspects of the incident it's reading things like the following from the story that just reek of irresponsibility, lack of respect and zero understanding of firearms.

The reason: the Glock pistol had been modified,

They had handled guns before and "had a history of playing around with firearms,"

Otiza had purchased the weapon from an "unidentified party" a few months before. (The gun was actually reported stolen from Broward County. Otiza had faced a weapons charge, but it too was dismissed.)

Believing the gun didn't work, Otiza had tried fixing the Glock a month before the shooting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top