Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Criminal buy guns on the street! Duh! Study Univ. of Chicago

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by tkdguy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

STUDY: CHICAGO CRIMINALS AVOID GUN SHOWS, INTERNET SALES, BUY GUNS ON STREET

buy-sell-guns-Reuters-640x480.jpg
    REUTERS/RALPH D. FRESO
    by AWR HAWKINS30 Aug 2015720

A new study conducted by the University of Chicago Crime Lab, inmates in the Cook County jail said they get they guns on the streets from “personal connections” rather that outlets like guns shows and the internet.
    The study focused on “inmates who were facing gun charges or whose criminal background involved gun crimes.”

According to the Chicago-Tribune, Crime lab co-director Harold Pollack said the study shows that “some of the pathways [regarding guns] people are concerned about don’t seem so dominant.” He said very few inmates indicated using gun shows or the internet. Rather, they get the guns in undetectable ways on the street. He said the inmates know they run the risk of being caught by police but “were less concerned about getting caught by the cops than being put in the position of not having a gun to defend themselves and then getting shot.”

The vast majority of the inmates used handguns to commit their crimes or protect themselves, very few cited using “military-style assault weapons.” And they said their habit was to get rid of a gun after one year because of the “legal liability” of being caught with a gun that could be linked to crimes they or others committed.”

As for specifics regarding sources for purchasing guns, some of the inmates indicated that gangs have individuals with a Firearm Owners Identification Card who buy guns then sell them to gang members. Others indicated using “corrupt cops” who seize guns then “put them back on the street.”

The inmates made clear they do not walk into gun stores to buy guns. Which proves a point Breitbart News, Gun Owners of America, and other gun rights groups have made for years; namely, that background checks place a burden on law-abiding citizens which criminals easily avoid.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at a

2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We should probably start sending this to all the anti-gunners in Salem with the subject line of "We told you so!!!!" - every day, every week, every month. Just to remind them how damn blind they are to the real problems.

I'm sure every one of those 'personal connections' insist on the required BGC before doing the sale :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    hker71 and Caveman Jim like this.
  3. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

They don't want their guns they want yours. That's why they pass laws that only affect you.

41Slinger, hker71 and Dyjital like this.
  4. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Of course they do, but any chance to call them out on their lies is a great opportunity. Make them actually say what they want. Maybe, just maybe, not so many people would be up for voting for these wastes of space if they actually saw their agenda - as many of us here already do.

5. BrentN

BrentN Kelso Active Member

They must be buying them on the street because they don't know about the gun show "loophole"..

hker71, albin25, Morpheus and 2 others like this.
  6. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

This pretty much lines up with what the Justice Department found when they performed a few surveys back in the 1990's.

I'd like to see the same type of study done in Oregon prisons, but I'm sure certain politicians would be against it as they would be afraid of the answer so soon after the passage of SB941.

Dbltap, Caveman Jim and hker71 like this.
  7. transittech

transittech PDX Well-Known Member

Guns and drugs are distributed the same way??? Get out!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

freestoneangler likes this.
  8. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

OMG! Oregon's new background check law won't remove all the guns from the gang bangers? Oh my :rolleyes:

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler wa Well-Known Member

The University of Chicago... enough said o_O

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

That government grant probably kept some lefty pos employed for a year while he collated and then extrapolated all the hard to understand data... Scientifically of course.

41Slinger and Caveman Jim like this.
  11. 41Slinger

41Slinger Harrisburg Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's a gun show loop hole ? My wife is going to be pizzzzzzzed.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  12. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

sometimes I wonder why people have to spend the time, resources and money on a study to prove something to obvious, Ive been telling people for years criminals get their guns thru other criminals not private sales.

So I had to look up the actual study to bookmark, the source of it. I had to create a log in to get it and am sharing the link here its in pdf format. Not certain the link will work for you without a login...
    http://ac.els-cdn.com/S009174351500...t=1441599082_3c9fa980bf07df016b235535729ae7bd

couple of quick takeaways...
    1) criminal get their guns thru other criminals, usually straw purchases or organized gun buys ("crates") where they get a clean gang member to make the straw purchases.
    2) this is most related to recent political events..... criminals avoid private sale transfers

pg35

we all know Bloomberg lies with his studies suggesting 48% less gun trafficking in states with universal background checks, now here is some credible evidence to refute that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

FYI, Koda: For each of those "statistics", I found the following in relation to Oregon;
    1) 46% fewer women shot in domestic disputes? Half of the "Background Check States" (BCS) had overall domestic violence rates similar to Oregon. Another half of the BCS's had non-gun domestic homicide rates twice the rate of the gun domestic homicides for women.
    2) 48% fewer police officers? This ones easy, as Everytown gives the data showing in Oregon, 49% fewer police are killed compared to BCS's. There's about 9-10 states with overall lower rates without background checks.
    3) 48% less gun trafficking? That's because most of the guns used in most BCS come from... BCS states. For example, from the 2013 ATF data, 89% of firearms recovered in California came from... California. Illinois is at ~81%. Most states without universal background checks were down around 40-60%.

Edit: Here's a link that might save some time in the future:
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...crooks-get-guns-from-pals-dont-keep-them-long

And as an aside: Here's what all those Chicago gun-control politicians are doing to win elections. Further proof about what they really care about, and push gun-control, instead of real criminal crackdowns.
    http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/January-2012/Gangs-and-Politicians-An-Unholy-Alliance/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Koda likes this.
  14. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Chicago is just champing the bit to have alcohol prohibited again. Kind of a "connected" circular theme.

RvGUVBPoq8h54rg&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

15. fuhr52

fuhr52 Lane County. Oregon Well-Known Member

Explain to me again how more background checks will prevent gun violence. I know it has nothing to do with preventing anything. Has everything to do with feeling good about your intentions to do something. Long as politicians feel go about their intentions all is good. Solutions need not apply.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This is indeed bad.

"“It is rare for offenders to buy from licensed dealers, and also rare for them to steal their guns,” the study says. “Rather, the predominant sources of guns to offenders are family, acquaintances, fellow gang members—which is to say, members of their social network.”"

Cause it means they will want to prohibit the selling or sharing of guns and require a transfer ....

(wha ... they already did that .. ... SB 941 )

< Emily Litella voice > Never mind.

17. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

I read this and thought, ( after laughing for like 10 minutes ) WTF, they could have asked me. In all my years I never once saw a criminal try and buy a gun at a store or gun show. Or even from me.
    It must be the gun fairy ?

41Slinger and Caveman Jim like this.