JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
'kay, story coming up.

Back in 1986, our daughter had to have some serious surgery to try and build her a hip joint - she was born with that part of her hip missing. This meant a LOOOOOOOONG stay - ten weeks, in the children's ward of the local hospital.

The little girl next to her was in for a shorter period of time, so when she left, she also left behind her Teddy Ruxpin thing, along with the 'Peter Pan' tape.

As I recall - and to tell the truth, I don't think that I'll ever forget it, after ramming the tape up its butt, it 'spoke' the words 'Hi there, I'm Teddy Ruxpin - and you and me are goin' to be Real Good Friends....clickclickclick... have you heard the story about Peterpan? [yup, said as one word, with the accent on the first syllable].

After almost two months of this, I was about driven bats, and when the time came for daughter to leave, Teddy Ruxpin 'accidentally' fell into mrs tac's handy tote bag.

The following day was a Wednesday, and in the British Army, that means Wednesday afternoon sports day. As I've mentioned before, being the only person of my kind on an RAF base meant that I did more or less what I liked, and that entailed turning up on the range with a trunk-load of fun, civilian and military. The boys thought I was slightly more than usually crazy when I set Teddy up on a sandbag at the wrong end of a 50m range, turned him on full volume and walked back to my FN GPMG - you call it the MAG58. I blew the little s**t away with the first fifty rounds, and called it quits.

Mind you, I have a history or this kind of thing. In the early Spring of 1980 I had done zackly the same with a singing Smurf, except that time I used a Sterling SMG.

tac

I remember the Ruxpin back in the day. We didn't have one, but one of my sister's pals did. Creepy is right.

My little girl has a pink teddy bear that not only talks, it makes a heart-beat sound, and "knows" (via some download my wife did) the little girl's first name, birthday, holidays, etc., and will talk about said at times. Creepy as hell. I made a dark joke about using it like a clay pigeon, but the Mrs was not amused, so I dropped the subject. ;)

Last Edited:
Yeah I had one...

Until I took it apart, mounted the parts to a remote controlled pickup and... well I made stuff fun as a kid. Still wondering what the final cost of my disassembly was.

I used to do a puppet show (not for kids- we performed in bars late nights around nyc) and for awhile we were using a teddy ruxpin I had rewired so that it would move and react based off what we were saying into a microphone I had hooked up to it. It definitely got creepy.

Some of you guys really need to get out more...
upload_2017-1-4_9-47-17.png

tac and ig, the Christmas vulture.

Teddy Ruxpin came out just a bit before my time. I remember having the sesame Street versions that were the same thing. I remember throwing the big Bird one somewhere and never saw it again.:cool:

I remember my wife walking through the house LATE one night when the kids were little.
As she walks through the living room, she hears "Peek a Boo, I see you", and just about sh*t herself on the spot.

Turns out, it was our daughters Big Bird with motion sensors.

Good times :s0114:

Missed out on the Teddy Ruxpin as I think it was out of style or before my kids time frame., I do remember thinking that if I ever met a big purple dinosaur named "Barney" in real life singing "I love you..you love me.." I wouldn't wait to the him to the range.... he'd be on the extinction list in the backyard before he finished the first verse:mad:

I can still remember that scene in, "The Unit", where the team leader had just come home from a hostage mission
and walked into his bedroom. As he walked by his bed in the near dark, a strange voice spoke out.:eek:
He quickly turned and double tapped the image of himself in the mirror.:mad:
On the dresser was a motion activated doll his wife had bought for his kids while he was gone.:rolleyes:

I'm waiting to hear about Tickle Me Elemo, next.... o_O

A new employee is hired at the Tickle Me Elmo factory. The personnel manager explains her duties, and tells her to report to work promptly at 8:00 AM.

The next day at 8:45 AM, there's a knock at the personnel manager's door. The assembly line foreman comes in and starts ranting about this new employee. He says she's incredibly slow, and the whole line is backing up.

The foreman takes the personnel manager down to the factory floor to show him the problem. Sure enough, Elmos are backed up all over the place.

At the end of the line is the new employee. She has a roll of the material used for the Elmos and a big bag of marbles. They both watch as she cuts a little piece of fabric, wraps it around two marbles, and starts sewing the little package between Elmo's legs.

The personnel manager starts laughing hysterically. After several minutes, he pulls himself together, walks over to the woman, and says, "I'm sorry, I guess you misunderstood me yesterday. Your job is to give Elmo two test tickles."

Missed out on the Teddy Ruxpin as I think it was out of style or before my kids time frame., I do remember thinking that if I ever met a big purple dinosaur named "Barney" in real life singing "I love you..you love me.." I wouldn't wait to the him to the range.... he'd be on the extinction list in the backyard before he finished the first verse:mad:

Back when first person shooters were new we had titles like
Wolfenstein 3D, Duke Nukem 3D and Doom.

Barney was also a thing.

I had a co-worker who got the hacks for Doom, so you could change the characters. The set he chose for the bad guys? The Purple dinosaur. So, imagine his surprise when his toddler finds him playing Doom one day. I am sure he slept in the garage for a week!

something like this:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads