Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Creating a rifled barrel with ECM - at home

Reactions

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Very cool...thank you for sharing this.

I wonder if this process could be used to re-rifle a old barrel...
It would be totally cool to use this method to re-rifle a barrel from 1850 or so....:D
Andy

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Maybe, if you want to take it up a caliber size or two... ;)
Oh yeah , I have done that in the past...with a traditional rifling machine...
Most .50 caliber barrels move up to .52 or .53 caliber...most .54 caliber barrels end up as .56...or .58 caliber...
Which in turn may mean a new round ball or just keep using the original size round ball and a thicker patch...

Mostly I just want to do this at home for a old rifle or two , to give them a new lease on their shooting life
Andy

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Well... what could POSSIBLY go wrong with that? :s0140:;)
Oh you mean besides the possibility of totally ruining a sound and safe barrel from the 1840's or 50's....:eek::D
Yep...when doing that sort of thing....you gotta be careful and pay attention to what you are doing for sure...
And think through , if the risk of damage outweighs any "improvement" one might gain with such a project
Andy

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online