JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lasers just mess with my shooting at the range. I have a green laser built into my HD pistol mounted light and to me, it just is distracting to shooting. Yes in a pinch it would get you on target but I find my iron night sights work better for me accuracy-wise.

On a side note, I do think lasers are good for telling people about how sound their grip is. A laser is very telling about where you're pulling your shots because you can see what movement is occurring leading up to trigger press. Just my opinion.

yea, well irons and sights in general are just a crutch for people who are obviously not as good as me at just shooting things by instinct.

Y'all might as well just get into knitting or something.

And doesn't it rain in Oregon (lol, derp).. I've hardly ever used a dot sight but can imagine with water drop refraction it'd look like 100 Christmas tree lights intead of one dot so..
It doesn't been using red dots on pistols for 8 plus years. shoot competition in the rain, and snow. done training in rain and snow it works just fine. Most of the time that's with a owb holster waters never been an issue.

Yeah - but a red dot doesn't embarrass you at the range like a shaky laser dot does... :rolleyes:
Wow I guess everyone should get a laser so they can hip fire off shots. How did anyone manage to defend themselves up until the magic dot arrived? Freeze or I'll burn your retinas :rolleyes:

Wow I guess everyone should get a laser so they can hip fire off shots. How did anyone manage to defend themselves up until the magic dot arrived? Freeze or I'll burn your retinas :rolleyes:

Funny you mention that...
Up until the first few years into my 3rd score of life I had no issues.
But lately my eyes are starting to age quickly.
I've also flash burned my eyes twice in a welding gig over the course of 10 years earlier... Kinda wish that never happened.
Any hoo - happy to get another tool to help my decrepit body.

PS: Like your 'Night Sights" and tritium? I remember when those were new too. :rolleyes:

Funny you mention that...
Up until the first few years into my 3rd score of life I had no issues.
But lately my eyes are starting to age quickly.
I've also flash burned my eyes twice in a welding gig over the course of 10 years earlier... Kinda wish that never happened.
Any hoo - happy to get another tool to help my decrepit body.

PS: Like your 'Night Sights" and tritium? I remember when those were new too. :rolleyes:
Frankly, the night sights help me grab my pistol off the stand but after that, it's the light that's going to help me get on target.

You do you and I'll do me. I have nothing wrong with lasers but I just can't imagine any self-defense scenario I could be in where having a laser would make the difference in whether or not I was able to hit the bad guy. I suppose if my eye sight were worse, I might have a different opinion.

I suppose if my eye sight were worse, I might have a different opinion.

Give it time - your eyesight will eventually get worse.

Technically I still have 20-20, but I can't read small print, I can't see far away like I used to, I have somewhat clouded vision in one eye that will never clear up, only get worse, and sometimes I have double vision focusing problems.

Probably, in the next 5-10 years, I will need glasses for my driving.

As for shooting, I now do better with any kind of aid over iron sights - lasers do help me there and I don't want to put a red dot/et. al. on my pistols - at least not that would replace the iron sights. At least with a laser, if it fails, I can fall back to iron sights.

Before I worked at a gun counter, I never really put a lot of thought into the idea of Crimson Traces or any other laser sighting system. Now after having that experience, I've been blown away by the level of demand for these products. I notice that the vast majority of people who come in interested in them seem to be beginners or otherwise casual shooters.

Now I'll go to my grave arguing for using a weapon light over a laser any day. The laser has always been a novelty item and a glorified toy to me. Everyone that tells me about why they want one has this idea that they're going to use the laser to hipfire their pistol across their living room or down the hall and hit some bad guy. I don't know, I'd rather train actually being proficient with irons or a red dot and have a light, all of which would be vastly more advantageous in a myriad of situations.

Anyone else wanna validate me, or argue with me?

So, just my own humble opinion here, but...

I don't like having a light or laser on my EDC because I don't want the bulk. I certainly see the percentage in having a light/laser for EDC in low light / dark conditions but I have never been able to justify the trade-off, thus far, and don't generally go unsafe places at night (yes I know, even 'safe' places can present with a threat, but you get the point)...

For home defense I do have light + laser (TLR8) on my CZ P10C 9mm and also have crimson trace grips on my Desert Eagle 45 (1911) because I like the idea of being able to light up an area, and/or put a dot on the target, at night, in my house, under duress...

But! A laser is no substitute for training and practice! And while a laser can assist with point shooting (within a fairly limited/fixed range) it is perhaps nothing but a detriment if dealing with multiple targets at varied ranges. I have the TLR8 on my home defense firearm dialed in at 15' -- this makes me comfortable about being able to hit center mass, under duress, with an attacker at 5 - 30' when my point of aim vs impact is not going to be off by more than an inch or two at most... I always use irons at the range unless I'm just checking the accuracy of the laser or just "messing around for fun"...

Obviously shooting from the hip is silly... Proper grip, site picture, and trigger discipline are essential to hitting what you aim at, maintaining proper control of the weapon, and being able to make quick and accurate followup shots...

In my humble opinion, new gun owners need to get as much education, training, and practice as they can, with as few bells and whistles as possible before adding stuff on... I do think it is okay, even for a less proficient shooter, to put a light+laser on a good home defense pistol, but, if all you're gonna do is install it, dial it in, and then set it on a shelf until someday in the distant future you have break-in at 2am, you're not doing yourself or anyone you wish to defend any favors... That said, the same statement goes for going out, buying a new 9mm, shooting it once at the range, and then putting it on the shelf... Proficiency is the key to effective defense and this is especially true with hand guns... If you can't commit to that it might be better to consider a shot gun for home defense (though that takes practice and getting used to recoil, etc. as well)... Bells and whistles are never a substitute for proficiency...

-/\/\ark

Before I worked at a gun counter, I never really put a lot of thought into the idea of Crimson Traces or any other laser sighting system. Now after having that experience, I've been blown away by the level of demand for these products. I notice that the vast majority of people who come in interested in them seem to be beginners or otherwise casual shooters.

Now I'll go to my grave arguing for using a weapon light over a laser any day. The laser has always been a novelty item and a glorified toy to me. Everyone that tells me about why they want one has this idea that they're going to use the laser to hipfire their pistol across their living room or down the hall and hit some bad guy. I don't know, I'd rather train actually being proficient with irons or a red dot and have a light, all of which would be vastly more advantageous in a myriad of situations.

Anyone else wanna validate me, or argue with me?

I'd say that stock sights with a light aren't super useful, turn off the lights and turn on the weapon light, see if you can make out stock glock (or any others) sights very well against a bright light. Maybe you'd do better with a RMR / red dot. I think the red dots are better than lasers generally, because they aren't super responsive like a laser; that is to say when you are moving it around, it tracks slower and more smoothly.

though if you get a cheap olight you can get a laser as well for $40 more. I could see someone just opting to get one with a laser.

I guess you'd need to try and testing it in the total darkness to get a sense if the power was out, how things would actually work.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top