JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're right I mis-spoke using the term "Parallax Error"
I was incorrect.
My apologies.

But we're still talking converging straight lines here - not ballistics.

Edit: Cute post.
At self defense ranges on self defense targets bullet drop is negligible, with 9mm it takes about 40 yards to drop the 2 inches to be at the same level as the laser on a typical light/laser combo and another 30 yards before it drops another 4 inches, if you're taking 70 yard shots with a pistol in self defense you done bubblegumed up.

One thing about a laser is it shows just how unsteady your aim is and where you really are aiming instead of where you think you are aiming.

If there were a HUD of some sort without additional bulk (like red dots/et. al.) on pistols, that showed a crosshair/ring/etc. of some sort to the user, in such a way that is easy to see, i.e., not requiring alignment of sights on two different planes of vision, then that would be nice - more accurate and faster IMO. That is one reason why I like ghost rings and aperture sights.

I am hoping that with practice a laser sight can be faster. I won't abandon iron sights for obvious reasons, but I think laser sights have advantages. Ironically, I think one reason laser sights can seem slower is because people try to be more accurate with them than iron sights when maybe "good enough" is good enough (i.e., your aim doesn't need to be perfect, just close enough to be effective) - of course, that means less accuracy.

OTOH, if a person slows down and tries to be more accurate, then practices to be faster while trying to preserve accuracy with speed, then they may get both faster while better at accuracy. I should practice more while we have dry weather.

The other night I switched one to laser/light and the laser did not come on. Eventually I got it to come on, but yes, I have had Streamlights fail on me. I have one Surefire light without laser - I wish their laser/light combos
When mine starts acting up a fresh battery fixes it.

In the real world you shoot at the sound. In Vietnam you learned the Vietnamese word for doctor (Bac Si) so that when you heard the wounded VC calling that word, you would know when and where to throw your hand grenades. Please feel free to make all the threat determinations that you want. I was in the business of eliminating the threat.

So let me clarify the major points you have made thus far for members here who own pistols for home defense and CCW:

Nobody needs a flashlight on their nightstand or CCW pistol.

Treat your home, property and town as a Vietnam War Free Fire Zone. Threat identification/confirmation is un-necessary and a waste of time.

Shoot at all unidentified sounds in your home, yard, neighborhood, city. If you are walking your dog in the city park at dusk and hear a twig snap behind you quickly draw your light free pistol, turn, and perform a mag dump in the direction of the sound.

You are awakened at 1AM by a noise in the entryway. Your 17 year old son has a midnight curfew so you can safely assume it's not him. When you stick your head into the darkened hall to see a figure standing there. Dump a mag, reload and dump another then yell,"VC numbah 10, F Bac Si".

Anytime you hear someone call for help or request 911 dump a magazine in their direction or at the very least throw a big rock at them.

So let me clarify the major points you have made thus far for members here who own pistols for home defense and CCW:

Treat your home, property and town as a Vietnam War Free Fire Zone. Threat identification/confirmation is un-necessary and a waste of time.

Shoot at all unidentified sounds in your home, yard, neighborhood, city. If you are walking your dog in the city park at dusk and hear a twig snap behind you quickly draw your light free pistol, turn, and perform a mag dump in the direction of the sound.

You are awakened at 1AM by a noise in the entryway. Your 17 year old son has a midnight curfew so you can safely assume it's not him. When you stick your head into the darkened hall to see a figure standing there. Dump a mag, reload and dump another then yell,"VC numbah 10, F Bac Si".

Anytime you hear someone call for help or request 911 dump a magazine in their direction or at the very least throw a big rock at them.

God you are insufferable.
I'd block you - but my wife loves to laugh at your posts.
Wonders why a guy like you would consistently talk trash to people on a gun page if you truly intend to make sales here face to face.

I told her - "That's not why he's here."

Now - talk smack about the Air Force.
You've already pissed off everyone else.

(Everyone thinks they have a good AF burn - in 40 years, I've only heard 2. :))

God you are insufferable.
I'd block you - but my wife loves to laugh at your posts.
Wonders why a guy like you would consistently talk trash to people on a gun page if you truly intend to make sales here face to face.

I told her - "That's not why he's here."

Now - talk smack about the Air Force.
You've already pissed off everyone else.

(Everyone thinks they have a good AF burn - in 40 years, I've only heard 2. :))

I have two rules I live by. Never hit a woman and never talk smack about the air force.

I'd rather train actually being proficient with irons or a red dot and have a light
Why not have it all?

When I can I have a red dot and laser/light along with the irons. The red dot is the most crucial to me since my eyes are getting old now. The light can be external. The laser helps in some situations.

I don't believe that any of the participants on this forum need you to clarify or explain anything to them, especially concerning my opinions, views or thoughts. They all wear big boy pants and can figure these things out for themselves. You are clearly trying to establish your position as a dominant one with regard to "lights" on guns. Your arguments and postulations are poor at best. You clearly have little or no real world experience with regard to gunfights except for your online gaming experiences. Don't make the error of building a straw man and then putting your straw man in an environment of your choosing. If you like lights on your guns, that's fine. I don't. In the real world, you'll notice that neither soldiers nor the police use them. They simply tell your intended target where you're at. While you seem to be using "threat identification" as the basis for your theorem, it is spurious, at best. Now please, just go back into your basement.

ooh-burn-meme.jpg

"Live those dreams
Scheme those schemes
Got to hit me
Hit me

Hit me with your laser beams
Ow ow ow ow laser beams..."

Errr...wait....wrong lasers , forum , whatever...:eek: :D

In any event....

Lets remember Rule Number One :
Be Excellent To Each Other.
That means less insults and attacks....and more positive posting.

Thank you.
Andy

Remember though, the typical civilian is in neither a LE nor military role when defending themselves in the most likely scenario of home defense.

If SHTF I would probably be much less likely to use a WML/laser than I would in a "normal" circumstance where rule of law and LE support is available.

Currently, I do want to be able to identify anybody or anything before shooting at them just because they are present on my property. Breaking into my house would be different as I live alone.

I don't believe that any of the participants on this forum need you to clarify or explain anything to them, especially concerning my opinions, views or thoughts. They all wear big boy pants and can figure these things out for themselves. You are clearly trying to establish your position as a dominant one with regard to "lights" on guns. Your arguments and postulations are poor at best. You clearly have little or no real world experience with regard to gunfights except for your online gaming experiences. Don't make the error of building a straw man and then putting your straw man in an environment of your choosing. If you like lights on your guns, that's fine. I don't. In the real world, you'll notice that neither soldiers nor the police use them. They simply tell your intended target where you're at. While you seem to be using "threat identification" as the basis for your theorem, it is spurious, at best. Now please, just go back into your basement.

Pretty sure threat identification, i.e. Being sure of your target and what is behind it, is a pretty crucial part of being a responsible firearm owner and user.... Hardly a spurious theorem.

In the real world, you'll notice that neither soldiers nor the police use them. They simply tell your intended target where you're at.

Weapon light technology has made leaps and bounds just in the last five years let alone since the 'Nam days and are capable of temporary yet complete blindness. Police and military do indeed use them today.

Weapon light technology has made leaps and bounds just in the last five years let alone since the 'Nam days and are capable of temporary yet complete blindness. Police and military do indeed use them today.

Yeah, saying military and LE don't use them is completely untrue. They've been using WMLs for years.

joker,joker,joker....dat funny sh-t right dar!
1st mistake, "AWSUMING".
2nd, not calling in air support sooner! :eek:
darn kids anywho. That will show 'em to report before curfew!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top