JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think I have plainly demonstrated that we reached and gone beyond the limits of your knowledge and understanding on this concept and discussion. The rest of the class gets it and that's all that really matters. I will just chalk this up before dismissing the class.View attachment 768419

Congratulations. I hope the time you spent here didn't interfere with your trips to buy up ammo and resell for profit.

Congratulations. I hope the time you spent here didn't interfere with your trips to buy up ammo and resell for profit.

No sir, not one bit. My crew of ammo Oompa Loompas are out scouting for the Neckbeard in Chief while Im stuck at the day job. It's a good thing I am such a masterful multi tasker.

I own 2 .

#1 - KImber Micro 9 w CT laser grips.
I own 1 and the wife owns 1.
The dont get in the way. They won't be a hindrance, and may in fact be a help.

#2 - BM9 AR Pistol
Its part of the Red Dot sight.
Again, it does not hinder anything. And may also be a help.

I have them adjusted for close quarters. We train with them maybe 10% of the time. We don't rely on them.

I bought this "laser" back in '89 when it was PURE SEX to paint a red dot on your target's chest. It's never been taken off that 92F pictured (I carried it in several different countries while on PSD duty), and it's the only one I own.... meh.

ACA1D749-0F4F-4481-9D81-3E8AEB05799D.jpeg

Two of my pistols have lasers which enable my wife to shoot them. Had a shooting partner who couldn't hit a car sized target with sights but was at least on paper with his laser equipped glock.
I find they are useful to train with for trigger practice, esp. DA trigger pulls.

I can see it as a training tool to show how heavy triggers can disrupt your point of aim for sure.

I started thinking about this topic when people would come in who were absolute beginners and would ask me about "laser sights" for their new pistol. Literally 25% of them meant a red dot, the other 75% meant lasers, and a good amount of both groups didn't even realize that the gun had iron sights or how to use them, even roughly.

It was at this point where I started to look down on lasers because for whatever reason, they have this place in public consciousness where it's THE way you have to aim. I got people asking about them in the tens daily, sometimes over a hundred.

Buying that pistol? Can't get it unless you have a laser! Someone must have played too much Resident Evil 4.

All of this only applies to people who have no other real experience shooting or otherwise use lasers in ways that make sense! It's not a replacement for irons or a dot! IT'S DEFINITELY NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR A WEAPON LIGHT! You will have a bad time!

I like laser cartridges for dry fire practice indoors. They r like $25-$30. Gives u hundreds/thousands? more opportunities for draw and fire practice to supplement regular range practice and u get some instant feedback on ur trigger control (for one shot).

Ok, I know you've all been waiting four pages for me to weigh in....:rolleyes:
The best benefit of a laser is the psychological effect it has on the person who looks down and sees the little red/green dot on their chest. That alone may be all you need to defuse a situation.

Last Edited:
My opinion concerning hanging lights, etc on firearms has been validated! Thank you! Lights should go on Christmas trees and never on a firearm. All hail iron sights and instinctive shooting!

Hmmn, 01 Gunny? Non-IR lasers have a limited use but how do you perform threat identification in the dark without a weapon mounted or handheld light? Confirmation bias is one of the biggest impediments to real learning. We should strive to avoid it.

My 2 cents on lasers is if u train enough to use it proficiently it canbe another "tool in the toolbox" to help u (especially a light laser combo that doesn't add a lot of bulk). If u depend on it or any other gizmo to heighten ur abilities without becoming proficient at it could make things worse by adding complications. Knowledge and training trumps gizmos.

My view is keep it simple until u have mastery (or close to it) then adding the right tool in the toolbox (And becoming proficient at that) can help. Below is a video of using laser on an AR in a home invasion.

I see it all the time with those new to photography. They think the right camera or lens will make them a better photographer when 95% of what they need is knowledge and practice. Once they have learned what to do to get good shots consistently in any setting, then adding a better camera body or lens will make them better. But until then it won't do much of anything except add more gadgets to fiddle with that they haven't yet mastered.

And ifyou have a split second to capture a bird in flight, or to defend yourself in the case of guns, your responses should be automatic. The subconscious part of your brain "reads and reacts". U don't want the slow, logical part of ur brain doing all the work during that time saying to urself, "I need to turn on this switch, then I should..." that's my thoughts anyway.

The two main benefits I see Of a laser (I don't use them except to test recoil response when playing with different muzzle compensators etc) are intimidation factor and being able to shoot without using sights in certain situations (both shown in video below). But withoutbeing proficient in other areas first, then being proficient using the laser, it could be a hindrance when ur body is in fight orflight mode.

Last Edited:
Telling an Ex-Marine how to fight takes more stones than I have fellas.o_O

Imma sit this one out.

Im a former 0351/8152 Marine so I stand by my comments. The days of recon by fire are looooong gone. We must be deliberate, thoughtful, and precise before we pull the trigger these days.

Speaking as a disabled geezer: I love having lasers on my firearms. Crimson Trace is my favorite brand.

I'm not that great at point-shooting, but if I ever wind up knocked onto my keester I won't have any difficulty putting rounds up my attackers nose (or wherever the laser's dot is when I pull the trigger).

Can I use iron sights? Yes. And there are times when iron sights would be preferable to a laser dot.

I also value having a light on my carry gun, whenever that's possible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top