JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Before I worked at a gun counter, I never really put a lot of thought into the idea of Crimson Traces or any other laser sighting system. Now after having that experience, I've been blown away by the level of demand for these products. I notice that the vast majority of people who come in interested in them seem to be beginners or otherwise casual shooters.

Now I'll go to my grave arguing for using a weapon light over a laser any day. The laser has always been a novelty item and a glorified toy to me. Everyone that tells me about why they want one has this idea that they're going to use the laser to hipfire their pistol across their living room or down the hall and hit some bad guy. I don't know, I'd rather train actually being proficient with irons or a red dot and have a light, all of which would be vastly more advantageous in a myriad of situations.

Anyone else wanna validate me, or argue with me?

Same as everybody wanting RMRs. I carried a G19 with one and while it was the cat's meow at the range, I just thought it hurt more than it helped for CCW. Too much bulk, another thing to remember to turn on, lint covered screen after a few days, and really, what are the chances you need to actually use the sights in a self-defense shooting.

With lasers, I've never owned one, but it seems like if you need a little red dot to show you where the bullets are going to hit, then you need a more naturally pointing self-defense weapon.

But, that's just my preference and I don't judge anyone that chooses differently or reaches different conclusions.

Same as everybody wanting RMRs. I carried a G19 with one and while it was the cat's meow at the range, I just thought it hurt more than it helped for CCW. Too much bulk, another thing to remember to turn on, lint covered screen after a few days, and really, what are the chances you need to actually use the sights in a self-defense shooting.

With lasers, I've never owned one, but it seems like if you need a little red dot to show you where the bullets are going to hit, then you need a more naturally pointing self-defense weapon.

But, that's just my preference and I don't judge anyone that chooses differently or reaches different conclusions.
And doesn't it rain in Oregon (lol, derp).. I've hardly ever used a dot sight but can imagine with water drop refraction it'd look like 100 Christmas tree lights intead of one dot so..

Step 1: become proficient with irons (or the equivalent). Replace your sights with better ones (ideally, night sights).
Step 2 : mount a weapon light and train with it.
Step 3: now you can look at a laser, if you want. I prefer the idea of a dot; though, I have astigmatism so I'm hesitant to look for reflex sights on my MOS pistol until I find one that won't look like a blurry mess to me.
Also, this is just for my home defense gun. I wouldn't use a reflex sight on a concealed carry weapon - just my night sights (I'd consider a light if it made sense and was small enough but I'm counting on my sights for a concealed gun).

I have used both lights and lasers for a LONG time. Many love to hate on them. To me matters none. They work for me. Over many years I have heard a LOT of people say the main reason they do not need or want one is they can point shoot so well it's a waste. Of course 99% of the people who tell me that suddenly can't do it when you go to the range with them. :eek: There are certainly some who do not need sights to hit what they shoot at. I have learned they are rare and I am NOT one of them. So I take all the help I can get :)

I like those guide rod lasers , but have never owned one. The good stuff is spendy. I can see them being useful for old eyes.
I Dont like having stuff hanging all overr my firearm .Ive seen a few that looked more like a multi tool .

Last Edited:
I agree 100% with the OP. Lasers are a gimmick that many new inexperienced shooters fall for. It's unfortunate that so many people buy into the idea and "train" with them. Slower, worse accuracy and WHEN it fails the "shooter" is dead in the water, so to speak.

Its tough to use a laser with a flintlock pistol....:eek: :D

Seriously though....shoot with want you want and what makes it easier for you , to see and hit with.

With that said....
I would suggest to not totally rely on a laser sight....learn to use iron sights.
Stuff happens in life and the skill of shooting with iron sights , may make the difference between being able to shoot or not.....maybe even living or dying.
Andy

First, to each their own, but a few observations to perhaps validate OP thoughts. When I watch shooters at the range with lasers they tend to spend quite a bit of time getting them on target before the first shot. After the shot, the laser goes well off target which needs to be acquired again and follow up shots take even longer. This does not bode well for self defense use. I've also seen more than a few few stop working, break and even fall off guns. The thought of a laser pointing somewhere other than where the bullet is going is a problem for me. IMHO, newer shooters would be better served by training with iron sights to acquire good and fast sight pictures and be able to control the gun and trigger for more rapid follow up shots.

My thoughts are specific to shooters on the less experienced end of the spectrum. Those in the high speed / low drag realm using solid equipment and training with such can keep scrolling. :cool:

I'm not against lasers. I am against lasers for me. Still have one that now rests in a box where formerly it was attached to a small 9mm defense weapon. Thought it was a cool idea but could never shoot accurately with it. Always better with the irons. Hence it ended up in a box not to be used again. Oh, truth in advertising here. I do own laser snap cap/"bullets" that I use for indoor practice. They are the berries. Coupled with a reactive target and it is almost like being at the range ... except with no rain, wind and cold :s0114: In this time of ammo issues I can work on techniques until they get perfected and not feel guilty that I don't go right in and reload what I just "shot".

Two of my pistols have lasers which enable my wife to shoot them. Had a shooting partner who couldn't hit a car sized target with sights but was at least on paper with his laser equipped glock.
I find they are useful to train with for trigger practice, esp. DA trigger pulls.

I bought a Glock in the 90's that had a laser on it. Wouldn't stay zeroed and was kind of big so it became a cat toy until I ran out of batteries.

For whatever reason I decided that a Streamlight TRL-8G was something that I couldn't live without.
Now I have battery eating cat toys in red and green.

I used it for dryfire and while useful it eats batteries to fast.
The pencil drill works just as well for that and I have plenty of pencils.
For what I paid for it I could have gotten 2 cases of 9mm at the time..
Probably shouldn't dwell on that too much I suppose.

Never really felt the appeal of a pistol mounted laser sight, myself. I suppose it could be a good secondary system, but it's not for me, movie cool factor notwithstanding, nor do I want a bigger holster to accommodate the extra stuff hanging under the barrel. ( I know there are other systems, like in the grip, or apparently in a guide rod?)
The red dot sights are super fast, and work well for old eyes, if you can see your targets without glasses. The ones I use are " shake and wake", so there's no fiddling around with turning it on.
I have astigmatism so I'm hesitant to look for reflex sights on my MOS pistol until I find one that won't look like a blurry mess to me.

Unfortunately, WITH glasses, you get a blurry mess. The other downside for new shooters, is all that good stuff you get with a red dot isn't immediate... you have to train for a lot of hours to get fast with it. 'Til then, you get to play " where's my dot?" until you get a natural point of aim established by feel.

For a new shooter, irons are probably the most bang for the buck, in the shortest possible time.

Don't really care but I think new shooters should get proficient with their iron sights first. As my eyes get weaker I will probably put a dot on one or more of my guns. Getting old isn't easy to accept sometimes.

Every time I see a newbie at an indoor range with a laser it is bouncing all over the place and they keep chasing it while shooting, then wondering why they can't hit the target.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top