JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never wanted a laser on a handgun.

My MT husband never wanted one.

People should learn how to shoot their handguns and rifles using iron sights FIRST in my opinion but to each their own. Become a proficient shooter!

I think that too many people rely on extra stuff on their guns without getting their basic training down first too. Practice time! This goes for Older shooters and not just Newbies too.

Another thing, if a person can't HIT what they are aiming at with their handgun without USING a laser... well... that does bother me but as I said, "To each their own!"

I use iron sights on my last two rifles and I always used iron sights on my former rifles and handguns too. My senior citizen husband uses iron sights on his handguns and on most of his rifles. But IF he is hunting with his specific rifles, he does use scopes on them. He hunts in different types of terrain too.

ADDED more.

Disclaimer again: I have worn Rx eyeglasses since I was 5 years old. I am nearsighted with some other eye issues. I started to wear Rx bi-focals in my middle or early 40's. I am 70 years old now.

Old Lady Cate

Or???????

How about a Lazer Pistol?
Hans-Solo.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I've played with lights, lasers, and now have an RMR on my Glock 19. All I can add to the topic is do what works for you. What it all comes down to is you are sending down range a very fast piece of metal capable of killing someone. Do whatever you can to win the fight.

As a former Bradley gunner, I'm hoping for gyro stabilized pistols to be the next new thing... :)

Mostly lasers are just different and fun. If you like then, cool. If not, save the money for a couple of rounds of 9mm.
I have a laser on my AR9, tons of fun to shoot at night. I only have it on there so I can shoot from the hip and actually hit something. Just fun. Self defense at night? Not really because with the proper light on a rifle/pistol, I can use the
silhouette of the sights to aim. Just my opinion.

I like them for a dry fire tool. hold the dot in place while squeezing the trigger. Helped my accuracy with glock style triggers substantially. As a sighting system, totally worthless might be exagerated, but as a training tool helping correct recoil anticipation or isolating movement from the mushy glock trigger? I find one worthwhile.

I like laser cartridges for dry fire practice indoors. They r like $25-$30. Gives u hundreds/thousands? more opportunities for draw and fire practice to supplement regular range practice and u get some instant feedback on ur trigger control (for one shot).
That one shot thing is what made me a bit less interested in them, tough I do enjoy practising with DA pistols and laser cartridges. Helped me determine without recoil that the sights on a certain pistol are indeed off to exactly where my POI was on paper.

Sidearm, no.
Battle rifle, yes. (IR)

I have only 1 pistol mounted laser and thats on the wife's 637.

Reason being is that its her bedside gun and I want her to be able to use the phone with one hand and be able to fire with the other if need be.

I see more potential for use on a handgun than a rifle for the sole fact that I'm not gonna be able to afford any decent nvg setup in the extended/near future. Id personally rather have a light, and the combos for handguns either seem to be more than i'm willing to spend, are huge, or are horrendously cheap.

Before I worked at a gun counter, I never really put a lot of thought into the idea of Crimson Traces or any other laser sighting system. Now after having that experience, I've been blown away by the level of demand for these products. I notice that the vast majority of people who come in interested in them seem to be beginners or otherwise casual shooters.

Now I'll go to my grave arguing for using a weapon light over a laser any day. The laser has always been a novelty item and a glorified toy to me. Everyone that tells me about why they want one has this idea that they're going to use the laser to hipfire their pistol across their living room or down the hall and hit some bad guy. I don't know, I'd rather train actually being proficient with irons or a red dot and have a light, all of which would be vastly more advantageous in a myriad of situations.

Anyone else wanna validate me, or argue with me?
Nope no argument. I love the laser. Great for sound shooting in a dark house. Got my dog last night rooting a hotdog on the floor. Maybe a burglar next time. Yup love shooting at what I can't see. Red dot won't work at night and your slide will destroy it in short order. Stick with iron sights. Most self defense is under 10 ft. I'm a freakin' sniper at 10 ft. 20 ft is a drug deal gone bad. Be aware
Before I worked at a gun counter, I never really put a lot of thought into the idea of Crimson Traces or any other laser sighting system. Now after having that experience, I've been blown away by the level of demand for these products. I notice that the vast majority of people who come in interested in them seem to be beginners or otherwise casual shooters.

Now I'll go to my grave arguing for using a weapon light over a laser any day. The laser has always been a novelty item and a glorified toy to me. Everyone that tells me about why they want one has this idea that they're going to use the laser to hipfire their pistol across their living room or down the hall and hit some bad guy. I don't know, I'd rather train actually being proficient with irons or a red dot and have a light, all of which would be vastly more advantageous in a myriad of situations.

Anyone else wanna validate me, or argue with me?
Nope no argument from me I love lasers. Last night I heard a sound in the bedroom Pop the laser on, shot that sucker but it turned out to be my dog rooting a hotdog on the floor. oh well shouldn't have been there. maybe next time it'll be a burglar. Red dots are cute but worthless in the dark and the slide on your semi automatic will destroy any of them in short order. Stick with the iron sights. Most self defense will be decided in 6 feet or less and I'm a sniper at 6 feet or less. Be aware anything over about 20 feet is a drug deal gone bad cops don't look kindly at that. I guess they figured out the perp shot in the back was no longer a risk to you. Oh well cops have no sense of humor

I like those guide rod lasers , but have never owned one. The good stuff is spendy. I can see them being useful for old eyes.
I Dont like having stuff hanging in my firearm .Ive seen a few that looked more like a multi tool .
Come on children. I've been on this rock 73 clicks. Most self-defense will be 6 to 10 feet. Hell's Bells we're all snipers at that range. If I plan to shoot 150 yards I'll use my 300 Win Mag. Kills at one end and cripples at the other. Happy hunting brothers and sisters

Come on children. I've been on this rock 73 clicks. Most self-defense will be 6 to 10 feet. Hell's Bells we're all snipers at that range. If I plan to shoot 150 yards I'll use my 300 Win Mag. Kills at one end and cripples at the other. Happy hunting brothers and sisters
Careful we have an operator here
:D

I have literally several tens of thousands of rounds through red-dot equipped pistols. Still waiting the inevitable I guess.
Tens of thousands, WOW several Tens of thousands even more WOW!! I'm impressed. 3rd Battalion 5th Marines didn't expend that much ordinance during the entire pacific island campaign, and won it without benefit of red dot. Goodness wherever did you find the time?

Nope no argument. I love the laser. Great for sound shooting in a dark house. Got my dog last night rooting a hotdog on the floor. Maybe a burglar next time. Yup love shooting at what I can't see. Red dot won't work at night and your slide will destroy it in short order. Stick with iron sights. Most self defense is under 10 ft. I'm a freakin' sniper at 10 ft. 20 ft is a drug deal gone bad. Be aware

Nope no argument from me I love lasers. Last night I heard a sound in the bedroom Pop the laser on, shot that sucker but it turned out to be my dog rooting a hotdog on the floor. oh well shouldn't have been there. maybe next time it'll be a burglar. Red dots are cute but worthless in the dark and the slide on your semi automatic will destroy any of them in short order. Stick with the iron sights. Most self defense will be decided in 6 feet or less and I'm a sniper at 6 feet or less. Be aware anything over about 20 feet is a drug deal gone bad cops don't look kindly at that. I guess they figured out the perp shot in the back was no longer a risk to you. Oh well cops have no sense of humor
That's why you use a light laser combo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top