JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use lasers in two situations. My EDC LCP has one. Darned gun really has no iron sights.
Intended use is self defense at "OH SH!T" distances. In low light the laser may have some
intimidation value, and it allows me to focus on what's in front of me rather than on what's
in my hands.

Second use is the occasional low light pistol match. Even when there is enough light to
use irons, the laser gets me on target just a touch quicker.

Other than that--I really don't see the attraction.

I use lasers in two situations. My EDC LCP has one. Darned gun really has no iron sights.
Intended use is self defense at "OH SH!T" distances. In low light the laser may have some
intimidation value, and it allows me to focus on what's in front of me rather than on what's
in my hands.

This is/was my thinking in putting a laser on the SR9c for in the house/bump in the night use.
I still would like the cat though.

Last Edited:
Wow, lots of laser hate.
I have laser grips on two of my "J" frames, great for dryfire practice. Really help to see how stable your trigger pull is. Also the ability to draw, point, than while staying on point activate the laser to show you where you are actually pointing.

I have AR,s with laser / light combos, use the laser to verify that the scope has not shifted or to verify point of aim if scope has been removed and replaced.

Have a rifle that has already been sighted in (irons or scope) that you want to mount or change scopes on? Mount a laser first co-witness it to existing sights / scope, than mount new sights or scope and co-witness to the laser. Verify at range, usually only need very minor adjustment if any.

I also have a PCP air rifle with an elevation adjustable scope base. A laser makes quick work of readjusting the scope when changing my power source from CO2 to high pressure air or nitrogen.
So.. for me lasers definitely have their uses. As aiming devices while shooting not so much so, as an aid, hell yes, love them lasers.

Also a damn sight (see how I did that) better than sighting your Glock gangster style (or exposing your head) if you need to shoot around a ballistic shield when breaching your teenagers bedroom.

YMMV :s0062:

No comment. :rolleyes:

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

LaserMax as a guide rod. Indestructible. Windage is dead accurate - elevation zeros at 30'
I pulled the Romeo - Night sights are good enough but the laser helps initial acquisition (for me) - I draw from a shoulder holster.

I have AR,s with laser / light combos, use the laser to verify that the scope has not shifted or to verify point of aim if scope has been removed and replaced.

Have a rifle that has already been sighted in (irons or scope) that you want to mount or change scopes on? Mount a laser first co-witness it to existing sights / scope, than mount new sights or scope and co-witness to the laser. Verify at range, usually only need very minor adjustment if any.
Question. How do you know the laser is holding point of aim and not the scope? Not only that, bullets don't fly like lasers point.

My G17 has a Streamlight TLR2 (light+laser) on it, my G23 has an Olight PL-Mini-2 (light only) on it. When it's dark the flashlight makes perfect sense. With the TLR2, having the laser is a plus. Helps me line up the iron sights quickly in the dark with the flashlight and laser both on. But, I'll shoot when the iron lines up, not before. As they say, one man's opinion.

As an RSO, I see lots of new shooters bring their fancy new laser pointers to the range. They spend so much time "chasing" the pretty little dot around the paper and it makes them slow and inaccurate. I hear them complaining why they can't get the laser to hold steady and sometimes they are even holding the firearm at a strange angle trying to see the laser. With irons, your eye should be focused on the front sight post which makes you actually point the gun properly (for the most part) and takes the distraction of the jumping little dot away.

Do whatever work for you.

The house gun, (compact 9mm) has a laser for low light use.:)
I also have several, "Cartridge" type lasers for use when installing sights.:)
With my muzzle loaders, I have found the cartridge types are great for basically putting you on
the paper. I just drop one down the barrel and then adjust my sights to the spot on my garage wall. :D

Question. How do you know the laser is holding point of aim and not the scope? Not only that, bullets don't fly like lasers point.

Lasers point exactly like iron sights and scopes. A 50 yard zero from laser, irons, or optics will place the same load in the same spot at any range. Im surprised you don't understand that. The relationship between your eye and iron sights and scopes are as unaffected by gravity as lasers are.

Lasers point exactly like iron sights and scopes. A 50 yard zero from laser, irons, or optics will place the same load in the same spot at any range. Im surprised you don't understand that. The relationship between your eye and iron sights and scopes are as unaffected by gravity as lasers are.

So you can see your laser at 50 yards?
That's one hell of a holdover - or under...
Pretty sure KJ was referring to bore axis heights and POI being so extreme with a pistol length barrel at distance.

lasers are great, rmrs are great, irons are great, pistols are great. I use them all, and enjoy them all. Can't say I would think less of someone for using what they like to use. Someone else mentioned the benefits that a laser can have when dry firing or practicing your draw. It's a very noticeable indicator of where your muzzle is pointing, and the path that it takes.

Personally, I like a laser and irons combo for my CCW since it doesn't have a light rail. I had an RMR on a full size for range fun, but I didn't like it much. I'm not good enough to maintain a smooth picture of the dot throughout firing.

So you can see your laser at 50 yards?
That's one hell of a holdover - or under...
Pretty sure KJ was referring to bore axis heights and POI being so extreme with a pistol length barrel at distance.

Bingo. But whatever. I like surprising people with my apparent lack of knowledge. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top