JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the wife and I went looking around for cool spots and decided to go to one of favorite spots up Gooseneck Creek Rd.

We get part way up and pull off before it gets to BLM so my wife can take pictures of the landscape and mushrooms growing. We hear gunfire the entire time out into the forest. Sounds like some people having a good time, no problems there

As we walk back to the car I hear gunfire coming from the street, not the forest and it's a guy in his truck driving down the gravel road firing his gun into the open, just past us.

Seriously WTF are people thinking? It's bad enough people target shoot at that spot because there is no good stop and bullets just go into the canyon where people work/live/hike, but just firing into the unknown not looking to see he was practically firing over my head.

I'm still kinda pissed off, people are gonna get my rights taken away because they can't be trusted to be responsible.

So the wife and I went looking around for cool spots and decided to go to one of favorite spots up Gooseneck Creek Rd.

We get part way up and pull off before it gets to BLM so my wife can take pictures of the landscape and mushrooms growing. We hear gunfire the entire time out into the forest. Sounds like some people having a good time, no problems there

As we walk back to the car I hear gunfire coming from the street, not the forest and it's a guy in his truck driving down the gravel road firing his gun into the open, just past us.

Seriously WTF are people thinking? It's bad enough people target shoot at that spot because there is no good stop and bullets just go into the canyon where people work/live/hike, but just firing into the unknown not looking to see he was practically firing over my head.

I'm still kinda pissed off, people are gonna get my rights taken away because they can't be trusted to be responsible.
Yes, you are right. I just went out to my favorite spot (rock quarry) out in the national forest, last night. Noticed more garbage out there that people were shooting at. Maybe next weekend, when i have more time, ill pick up as much trash from there as i can. We live in an age where there are more and more uneducated and disrespectful shooters and hunters out there, making the rest of us look terrible. We are lumped into a single group and this is what a lot of the non shooting public sees. It makes me sick at times. When i see these fools out there shooting their household appliances and trash, i always ask them to pick up their garbage when they are done. Generally people arent dumb enough to argue with me. We can all stick together and clean up after these idiots, but things likely won't change, until they start shutting down our favorite spots. Then its us, the responsible ones, that really lose in the end.

Heck they probably figure the city liberals celebrate homeless absolutely trashing the green spaces around the city, so why can't they.

It's people like that who are the reason I always go heavily armed when in the woods.
I always plan for a shootout when going to the woods.
And why I have a hard time taking my kids out there.

Maybe they were growing weed and trying to scare you away.

Maybe they were growing weed and trying to scare you away.
I actually had a run in like this about 20 years ago. We were picking mushrooms and came across 2 creepy crawlers asking what we were doing up there. Got a case of the creeps with these two and headed back to our vehicles as we had what we came for. I started packing soon after. A year later I read about a big grow operation shut down by the sheriff in the same area.

Shady situations, and you never know what could become of it all.
Reminds me a long time ago my wife and I loaded up the kids and the dogs for a road trip.
We found ourselves way out the middle of peace and serenity, temporarily.
We all played in a small stream for a bit, then the sound of another vehicle made it's way to where we were.
The S-10 Blazer they (two males) arrived in would see better days at a scrap yard.
These two were drunk, high, something, maybe both.
Next thing we experienced them not more than 25yds unloading their guns into the stream.
I was carrying, but thought better to not confront due to my wife, kids and dogs.
We found ourselves quickly loading up to get the heck out of there.
Had to drive right past them.

As I passed, I stopped, and said hey, did you realize anyone was down here before you started shooting?
They glared right through me.
I got us out while I could.

Idiots that fail to take the safety of others or handle themselves well during these interactions do more harm to our rights then they realize. Wake up rando gun owners.

Glad to hear you are ok.

I am honestly surprised I've not been shot at yet doing some of the things I do.

I've stopped countless times over the last 5 years to talk with folks shooting poorly or just making the rest of us look bad.

I've found that there are two types of us when it comes to shooting in the woods, or on public lands.

Those that get it, own their mistake, and state they will do better next time.

Those that tell you to go pound sand and continue shooting in the direction of the highway.

Sadly, it mostly comes down to traditional values around the woods being the free place to do everything.

That and lack of education on things.

There's also plain "I don't give a F" types too.

Ok, it's a plethora of problems.

Just got to keep on trucking through it though!

When the ballots come out for people to vote for tax money to pay for law enforcement, be it sheriff, state police, forest service, park service, etc., many people say no to more taxes. So these agencies keep cutting back because they don't have the budget to keep existing officers, let alone hire additional ones. As long as that trend continues (and I'm sure it will) it's going to get worse, with less and less enforcement out where it is needed. It only makes sense to use what limited resources are available to take care of and protect the areas where most of the people go... which isn't where most of the recreational shooting is done. We lose and the people that don't care are the winners.

Mike

Governments job is to fund police and fire services first, but they continually make other pet projects that buys them votes priority. Sadly Mike, I think your statement is correct.

... Next thing we experienced them not more than 25yds unloading their guns into the stream. ...

My wife and I went camping about 15 years ago on the Olympic Peninsula -- some remote out of the way campground with few amenities and a lot of nature. While we were swimming in the river, a truck stops on a bridge upstream, then someone with a rifle started shooting into the river bed toward us. I didn't see where he was hitting -- we just got out of the stream bed as quickly as possible. Pretty insane.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top