JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cracked means something failed, or it soon will, so yea, I would be concerned!
Some parts have more tolerances and can function while in a failed state, but then it becomes a question of how bad will it really be when it finally completly fails!

That's discerning. Makes me wonder if it's cast now, considering just about everything else is stamped steel and that should never crack.

Quick search...

It is cast. That is why it cracked.

The Magpul Ambidextrous Sling Attachment provides a range of motion greater than 180 degrees for true ambidextrous weapon manipulation for both right and left-handed shooters. These Slings are compatible with both mil-spec and commercial-spec carbine receiver extensions and work with one-point type slings with snap hook style attachments. Built from precision cast black manganese phosphatized steel, the Magpul AR15/M4 Sling Attachment has been proven to withstand stress tests of over 300lbs. Minimize sling snagging and facilitate faster reactions with this.

Quick search...

It is cast. That is why it cracked.

The Magpul Ambidextrous Sling Attachment provides a range of motion greater than 180 degrees for true ambidextrous weapon manipulation for both right and left-handed shooters. These Slings are compatible with both mil-spec and commercial-spec carbine receiver extensions and work with one-point type slings with snap hook style attachments. Built from precision cast black manganese phosphatized steel, the Magpul AR15/M4 Sling Attachment has been proven to withstand stress tests of over 300lbs. Minimize sling snagging and facilitate faster reactions with this.

Good digging! That is kinda dissapointing. Why cast something that has to be staked... Too brittle right?

Loctite or rockset works too in my opinion, although @titsonritz will probably chastize me for that! Haha

I was just doing it this weekend as I snapped a YHM barrel nut, stop it people. These things are suppose to come apart and be rebuilt, putting Loc-tite or rocksett on muzzle devises, castle nuts and and barrel nuts is bad juju. Putting rocksett on muzzle devises intended for suppressors is the only exception I can think of and it is easily dissolved by water.

Y'all know a helluva lot more about AR's than I do.

All I ever did was hump around missiles and jump outta airborne helicopters with no parachute with one. In civilian life all I've ever done with one is use it like a dropped crescent wrench as the best rugged tool for killing Coyotes that God ever invented.

I would not go about "staking" anything that had not failed in heavy use first. (the exception of course is the internal things we all know are required to be staked).

We're not in combat, boys. (Yet.) Treat your guns gently in this period. They will be there for you later. Do what is necessary. Sling attachments can be messed with till the sun goes down.

The Loctite guy had the first and best solution. Understand the grades of the product and use them accordingly.

With clarifiaction and with respect to titsonritz (but more importantly the gun), Don't use loctite unless something has failed repeatedly.

Last Edited:
OP, I've had lengthy discussions on this very issue. Bottom line, not stacking is not an option for me, the problem lies in all the new fancy hardened and Melonited end plates. A real milspec EP is malleable, which prevents the cracking.

Have to add this (and it is NOT "AR exclusive")

Screws that hold things (on guns) and the holes they go in to need to be stark raving dry.

Dry and degreased screws and dry threaded holes they go in to grab pretty well to each other.

We become guilty very often (especially those of us who care for our guns regularly) to allow lubricant of all forms onto screws and into holes.

"Staking" and "Loctite" are to be reserved weapons. Dry screws and dry holes hold things pretty darn good.

Have to add this (and it is NOT "AR exclusive")

Screws that hold things (on guns) and the holes they go in to need to be stark raving dry.

Dry and degreased screws and dry threaded holes they go in to grab pretty well to each other.

We become guilty very often (especially those of us who care for our guns regularly) to allow lubricant of all forms onto screws and into holes.

"Staking" and "Loctite" are to be reserved weapons. Dry screws and dry holes hold things pretty darn good.

Depends on the screw and application. Loctite, oil, and grease will all increase clamp load for an equivilant torque. Grease is good for future removal (hand guard nut) while loctite is obviously great for keeping things in place.

I would never not use loctite on a clamp on handguard screw.

@titsonritz is right that staking is best. I have had issues with it (need to go to an armorers class @Cerberus Group !) But it is interesting that other people have had the same issues with QD end plates that I have in terms of staking. Typically I use 1 drop of rocsett, or blue loctite which seems to hold OK, but I am able to remove. However I havent been running ARs for decades like others here!

I wonder is this thing would be an acceptable compromise to people?

"I would never not use loctite on a clamp on handguard screw".

Precisely correct. And once again I profess ignorance regarding AR's, but the same statement applies universal:

In MY arena, with regard to mounting optics (on bolt guns or otherwise), my rule is, "loctite YES to attach the mount base to the gun (but ONLY if you intend to keep the gun).

NEVER on any clamp-type device (such as rings). With Loctite, you are choosing to anchor the screw you have driven. Clamps by definition do not operate on anchoring, but rather tensioning.

Clamps are clamps because you damn sure are gonna adjust them at some sort of later date and for some sort of later reason.

Bolting a solid piece of "bar stock" (a solid mount base) to a rifle action is something that you will never expect to move again, and for that reason you will choose a grade and specific formula of Loctite to be employed. Here is where Loctite belongs.

If you believe your "bug-out" Apocalypse gun will fail you at the crucial moment of the imminent catastrophe because you did not stake your clamp screws on your sling in the proper manner, as a friend I would sit you down and hand you a full magazine, walk you to the line while cooing in your ear, "Everything's gonna be alright".

And it would be.

You guys need to really start just enjoying these wonderful guns.

No charge for this service. Drive Safely.

Last Edited:
wait...

I am re-reading titsonritz quote and I see, "not staking is not an option..."
I missed the double negative and utilized his definitive statement to believe that we had agreement.

My horrid mistake.

But perhaps this misunderstanding could be salvaged: We may now have a debate! Naw. He knows more about AR's than I want to.

"Dey kill dem dam Coyotes purty good dam shure". (My entire contribution to repeated field experience with the gun).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads