JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I went ahead and hit Coos Bay yesterday. The weather was perfect, warm, no wind, got sun burned.
Didn't do so well on the crabs, we got 6 dungeness and 15 large rock crabs. But a great day on the water anyway. Other people, that were crabbing closer to the mouth did better, we saw one boat that had caught 22 dungeness.

Some years back, Oregon changed the male only harvest regulations, and let you keep legal sized female crabs.
You could fill your limit in less then an hour.
They state of Oregon had commissioned some scientific research that claimed that legal sized females were not reproducing at that size and could be harvested without detrimental population reductions.
They reversed that decision the next year after juvenile numbers dropped to very low counts.

Ya I remember that year I kept a few females they didn't taste the same kinda nasty, female rock crabs are often real chemical tasting too I don't know why, so I don't keep them either.

Netarts bay has been over fished for decades. Be very careful near the jaws on a out going tide. Best times is super low tides in winter and just walk in waders in the pot holes. Lived in PC for many years and crabbed there a lot.

Netarts Bay has been my favorite place to go for the last 6 or 7 years. Always do good there...sometimes it just takes a little longer. Unfortunately, there's just too small of area that is prime ground and it gets crowded with tempermental jerks that don't know how to crab nice and courteously. I've had to pull floating line out of my prop more then a few times; and that's when I'm focused on watching for it, too.

If it's over-fished and I can still get 2 limits of large crab in less than 4 hours, I really wish I could have crabbed it before!

I'm going to be crabbing Nehalem Bay next month, I'll try to remember to post results here.

From what I am hearing this has been one of the worst years in history for crabbing in Coos Bay. I listened to people talk about to much fresh water all my life. In years past wile they were talking I was pulling in limits of crab all winter long and not saying a word about it. Some are soft in winter but many limits were from pulling a string of three pots once.
My experience has been the more bait you have in the pots the more crab you will have on each pull.
Silver Hand

From what I am hearing this has been one of the worst years in history for crabbing in Coos Bay. I listened to people talk about to much fresh water all my life. In years past wile they were talking I was pulling in limits of crab all winter long and not saying a word about it. Some are soft in winter but many limits were from pulling a string of three pots once.
My experience has been the more bait you have in the pots the more crab you will have on each pull.
Silver Hand
Good point keep that bait fresh.

You guys need to understand the crabs in Netarts don't live there they just migrate into the bay and when it's overfished the crabbing sucks. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it sucks. With so many boats fishing it what do you expect.

Went out on Nehalem Bay for a few hours yesterday, Memorial Day. I was surprised there were very few boats out. The weather was incredible...the crabbing was not. We got 8 keepers for 5 pots in 5 hours. 2 jumbos (nearly 7"), 4 between 6 & 6-1/4", 2 juuuuust barely.

More crab out there, if it weren't for guys like this not actually working their pots.

OSP Fish & Wildlife Division Investigation Seizes Over 150 Illegal Crab Pots From Ocean; Two Facing Charges osp_logo_s.gif
May 19, 2014

Sergeant Todd Hoodenpyl
Oregon State Police - Tillamook
Fish & Wildlife Division
(541) 815-3373
[email protected]
www.twitter.com/ORStatePolice

Photograph links valid at least 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

A three-month investigation by Oregon State Police (OSP) Fish & Wildlife Division into illegal crabbing activity conducted by a Garibaldi-based fishing vessel led to the recovery of over 150 illegal crab pots, some of which may be stolen, and pending charges for two men. The investigation is continuing and OSP is planning a public viewing June 9th of seized crab gear with markings not associated with the fishing vessel named "Valkyrie".
OSP Fish & Wildlife Division troopers started the investigation in December 2013 after a mandatory hold inspection noted the "Valkyrie" deployed commercial crab pots in the Pacific Ocean and did not conduct a landing within 14 days as required by law. The "Valkyrie" is owned and supervised by ARON STEINBACH, age 34, from Bay City, and was operated by two different captains. The first captain was THOMAS WHITE, age 30, from Nehalem, and the most recent captain was a 52-year old from Garibaldi man.
In February 2014, OSP Fish & Wildlife troopers contacted STEINBACH and WHITE about violations. Subsequent to the ongoing investigation, STEINBACH was cited for Leaving Gear Set More Than 14 Days Without a Landing and WHITE was cited for No Commercial Fishing License. It also became apparent to troopers that many of the vessel's crab pots had not been worked for long periods of time, causing concern that the gear could be killing, wasting and harming crab, greatly impacting the resource.
Starting May 6, OSP Fish & Wildlife troopers aboard the Department's Patrol Vessel, " Guardian", assisted by United States Coast Guard personnel and resources, began seizing "Valkyrie" commercial crab gear from the ocean near Cape Falcon. Many of the more than 150 seized crab pots had evidence of multiple violations. Several contained biomass in the form of rotten crab or crab parts, indicating crab were being caught by the unchecked gear and the crab were dying and going to waste inside the gear.
On May 12, STEINBACH, who was in the Tillamook County Jail on an unrelated matter, was cited by OSP for the following class A misdemeanor charges:
* Waste of Commercial Food Fish
* Commercial Dungeness Crabbing With Inadequate Release Mechanism
* Leaving Gear Set More Than 14 Days Without a Landing
* No Buoy Tags
* No Pot Tags
Each charge may have additional counts resulting from the ongoing investigation. No charges have been filed at this time on the vessel's most recent captain.
OSP Fish & Wildlife Captain Jeff Samuels thanked the United States Coast Guard and Tillamook County Sheriff's Office for their assistance.
"The Coast Guard's help in providing personnel, vessels, aircraft, and logistical support was invaluable, and the manpower from a Sheriff's Office work crew to off-load the crab pots was much needed," said Samuels.
During the crab pot recovery, crab gear with different markings was found indicating some of the gear may be stolen. OSP Fish & Wildlife Division is scheduling a public viewing of seized crab pots to possibly identify any gear as stolen and facilitate its return to any owners. The viewing is scheduled June 9 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the OSP Tillamook Office located at 5995 Long Prairie Road.
Questions regarding the investigation and scheduled crab gear viewing may be directed to Sergeant Todd Hoodenpyl at (503) 815-3373.

Made another trip to Nehalem over Father's Day weekend. Another great day of weather and a little better with the crab. Managed to pull 21 out on Saturday, and they were all WELL over keeper size. Most were between 6-1/4 and 6-3/4" with a couple 7".

Made another trip to Nehalem over Father's Day weekend. Another great day of weather and a little better with the crab. Managed to pull 21 out on Saturday, and they were all WELL over keeper size. Most were between 6-1/4 and 6-3/4" with a couple 7".

Were the shells still hard? It's getting to be that time of year...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top