JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok. Here it is. I'm not proud, but this is too good not to share...
Kayak crabbing today. First time ever. No problem, I've got this.
Loaded up 2 of my 3 traps, push away from the dock, get 75-100 yards to where I want to drop one.
I've already baited and rigged them, all I have to do is drop them over the side, 1 at a time.
I drop the very first one, then realize I didn't uncoil the 50' of leaded line. No problem, I start to pull that pot back in. But it's still sinking as it hasn't reached bottom yet. And I pull on the line. Line goes taught, and I go overboard.
Completely under water. The kayak is actually floating, upside down, over my head.
Bait bucket, crab bucket, paddle, everything is drifting away.
Did I mention the outgoing tide?
I finally get the boat flipped right side up, gather all my floating gear (mind you, I'm treading water. And It's the flipping ocean). I haul my a$$ back on the floating slab of plastic. No small feat, as my rubber boots and rain pants are now a billion times heavier than they were 20 seconds earlier.
Lost both traps. Fished with one for about 2 hours. Then saw a red and white float about a quarter mile away. Paddle my a$$ off....Yep, mine. It was the trap that I had initially tried to drop, and because it's float was outside of the cage, it re-emerged at low tide. Even had a keeper in it!
The other trap is gone, baby, gone. Out to sea by now.
Phone is fried. Credit cards are stuck together. All my stuff is a salt water mess.
But I still had a blast...caught 4 keepers total, have never worked so hard for so little.

Want to go crabbing?.

Now that's intestinal fortitude brother, most lesser men would have quit after getting wet!!! :s0140: Good on ya for sticking it out, sucks about the phone... :(

Ok, attempt #2 with kayak crabbing was much more successful...
Didn't flip the boat, and caught my limit in about 3.5 hours...
Lots of limits were caught. Crab aren't very full, maybe 60%, but there a lot of them right now. Mostly males too.

Well ended up in Reedsport out on the boat this weekend salmon fishing and threw some traps out for the fun of it. Friday landed over 20 keepers majority being very large. Yesterday another almost dozen kept with all being very large. Still not soft shelled and I would say still mostly full of meat. Get out there and get some people!

Just a friendly reminder it is illegal to keep female dungenous crab. You're probably eating the guts, which some find a delicacy.
;)

Yeah, been catching a lot of red rock, you can get any sex and up to 24, the meat is sweeter. The guts/digestive stuff are the brown green stuff, the red/orange stuff is officially the eggs or roe. Again, so GOOD!
The more you know right? ;)

Yeah, been catching a lot of red rock, you can get any sex and up to 24, the meat is sweeter. The guts/digestive stuff are the brown green stuff, the red/orange stuff is officially the eggs or roe. Again, so GOOD!
The more you know right? ;)
Just wanted that to be clearly posted so nobody got the wrong idea. I've yet to try red rock crab, I'll have to give it a shot. I'd probably make sushi with the eggs. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top