JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Geeze, when's the last time they pulled their pots on the 2nd of December? I don't even remember. I don't crab for myself. I've depended on Freddy's for first of the season freash crab, at a sale price. This last year never was. And when it was I wasn't going to pay that money. And the only thing I saw had been previously frozen for big money. If those local crabbers are selling everything over seas. Or back east, and leaving locals with high priced frozen, I hope they all go out-of-business! I absolutely despise being treated like a tourist by the sellers of our local resources!
It's common practice in all the agricultural, livestock, and fishery industries to export your best products because it commands the highest prices.

When I was a logger, the BEST logs (basically primo old growth) were called "export grade", and fetched the better part of >$1k's just for one large log. Then they got shipped to Japan and submerged in Osaka bay (to keep them preserved) for future use.

Same went for citrus exports (especially to Japan).

t's common practice in all the agricultural, livestock, and fishery industries to export your best products because it commands the highest prices.

When I was a logger, the BEST logs (basically primo old growth) were called "export grade", and fetched the better part of >$1k's just for one large log. Then they got shipped to Japan and submerged in Osaka bay (to keep them preserved) for future use.

It's common practice in all the agricultural, livestock, and fishery industries to export your best products because it commands the highest prices.

Not the way it used to be for local crab. Just in the last 6-7 years. I used to get some folks together that wanted crab and/or oysters and we'd make a run to Garibaldi. Oyster came from Pearl Point in Tilly. We'd spend somewhere around $300.00, cash, at a place in Garibaldi that pulled the live crab from tanks and cooked them for us. Then we'd use their facility, over looking the harbor, and clean them all. We'd Ice the cleaned crab and oysters and bring 'em back and distribute to the other folks. No profit in it for us. That crab place sold and they didn't want our cash price that matched what you'd pay at Freddy's and eliminated their shipping costs.
Screw the crabbers. We do still support the Netarts oyster folks that don't treat us like tourists though.

I used to get some folks together that wanted crab and/or oysters and we'd make a run to Garibaldi.
Garibaldi was one of my fav places on the coast. We'd rent a small skiff and put out our rings, get the crab and take it back to the public pier/dock where you could cook em up. Then we'd camp in a tent at the nearby State Park, and hit the mud flats at low tide the next day. Harvested a crap ton of cockles, a few cherrystone (or whatever the small smooth ones are called), but never did try to get any gooeyducks (sp). After that we would head to Cannon Beach, get a room, and the next day hit the glass blowing/blown art museums. Always a good trip except for weather.

I was traveling from San Diego to North Carolina to attend USCG Aviation Electronics school in 1976. Went thru Texas with our truck camper. At the store, I forget which city, there were no quality cuts of steak. I asked the butcher and that's the explanation I got... that all the good steak was sent out of Texas. Sheesh.

I don't think it's that way now. The folks at TGT seem to be enjoying plenty of grilling.

Garibaldi was one of my fav places on the coast. We'd rent a small skiff and put out our rings, get the crab and take it back to the public pier/dock where you could cook em up. Then we'd camp in a tent at the nearby State Park, and hit the mud flats at low tide the next day. Harvested a crap ton of cockles, a few cherrystone (or whatever the small smooth ones are called), but never did try to get any gooeyducks (sp). After that we would head to Cannon Beach, get a room, and the next day hit the glass blowing/blown art museums. Always a good trip except for weather.
I did the rental/crabbing/clamming thing, with my parents in the early '70s, before I even moved here to potland in June 1983.

Dad and I took a the 12' boat he carried on the top of the Econoline van, with the Aristocrat trailer behind, and went into the bay to clam the sand bars. Raking cockles and digging Blue/Empire/Horseneck clams. No geoducks in Tillamook bay. I bet that park you're talking about was Barview Jetty county Park. About the coolest camp ground I'd ever had the pleasure to camp in! It's become so expensive now I don't know how regular hard working folks can afford to camp there anymore. It's the same neat place though. And now Tilly County has seen fit to charge a $10.00 parking fee to people that want to go out to the jetty and walk the beach, fish, or just sit in their car for a few minutes.

Oh man. Something else came to mind. The first wife and I camped there in the mid '70s. Annie Green Springs, "Easy Nights" was the thing then. Garibaldi! That was a partying town! Burleys Tavern was THE place. Hard partying, mill workers, loggers and fishermen, commercial and pleasure. I remember this one night, kind of........ :s0140:

Thanks for bringing it back to mind!

You guys buy crab?

0E41C8FE-4C15-4E8F-B3BC-81FDC81B2361.jpeg

FDFF45E6-76E2-4D64-BF68-1E4B949817DC.jpeg

8C276EE2-3318-43FB-B856-B13A90C814E3.jpeg

893AD027-F48D-4369-BD74-D2911BFC0AFD.jpeg

A12BAB99-8BDC-418A-9D77-DE6DBAE75F52.jpeg

Crazy!

I have a pretty good technique so it's not a pain.

First two days it's just crab.

Next two it's crab topped English muffins.

Last day is crab cakes.

Good thing I'm on a statin.

P

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads