JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We went out yesterday in Nehalem bay. Crab are starting to fill up and shells hardening nicely. We should organize a NWFA fishing trip one of these days. I don't have a huge boat but we could probably put together a decent fleet

20180906_145445.jpg 4158.jpeg 20180907_075753.jpg

No I haven't. Any good ?
They are delicious. The bay water gives the meat a sweet and rich, almost buttery flavor. We steam them with a liberal coating of old bay and a dash of cider vinegar in the water. The Jimmies(males) taste the better than the Sooks(females) and are usually more expensive. Plus the females are the reproducers, so we like to throw them back.

I'd love to get into some fresh out of the water Dungeness sometime. I have only had them pre-cooked.

I have not. This should be fun:D
I've never met anyone who prefers the blue over dungenous. ;)
There are some docks you can pay to crab from on nehalem bay and some free ones on tillamook bay. Of course Nehalem bay has the best crab, but they're all pretty good. Except I hear willapa bay crab have the least desireable flavor. It's easy, I might head out tomorrow!

Only $10 for a shellfish license too..I'm surprised they don't charge you an extra $9.00 to look at them with your eye, plus $12.50 if you want to cook the, and another $5.00 to eat them.
Oh yeah, it's pretty fair. Just make sure you don't keep any undersized or female crabs. I hear it's about a grand per crab.

Beautiful picture of the coast. And delicious crab meat. 'gratz.

When me and the Mrs lived up in the north coast area, we would often travel down that way for weekends away. Fond memories of that area. :)

Iirc you can rent aluminum fishing boats with tiller motors at nehalem bay they seat up to 4, includes life jackets, fuel, baited crab rings and everything for like $50hr.
The Jetty Fishery and Kelly's Marine are 3 rings and a 14' boat starting at about $90 for the first two hours and like $50 for every hour after that.
Is there another rental out of wheeler? Last time I went the the Jetty Fishery, they told me I was too rough on the crabs (because i tossed them back instead of gently kissing them before swimming them back to the bottom)...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads