JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So maybe I should have expected a longer wait time, but when I called Clark County to set up an appointment for my CPL, I was told the earliest possible appointment was May 21st, yes as in 7 months from now!!!! I'm sure they are busy, but find this to be absolutely ridiculous, we could just about get every person in the entire county set up in that time it seems!

So maybe I should have expected a longer wait time, but when I called Clark County to set up an appointment for my CPL, I was told the earliest possible appointment was May 21st, yes as in 7 months from now!!!! I'm sure they are busy, but find this to be absolutely ridiculous, we could just about get every person in the entire county set up in that time it seems!
Their mimeograph machine is probably out of toner. Go, government!

Clackamas County for reference: I called in June the first day they reopened and got a Sept 23rd appointment. When I went in they said they were scheduling for February 2021. they said they are doing 3 times the number of appointments and there's only 3 people that handle it. I was able to walk out with my card though. It actually does pay to be a law abiding citizen ;)

Wow, that makes be feel slightly better. I was pissed when I got my email from Multnomah County today saying my appointment is in early February.

Open carry - I would. And when the heads explode as I go grocery shopping in Seattle and they inevitably ask why I am doing that, I would tell them because the application for concealed carry was too long and inconvenient.

That's my plan for 2021 when my current one expires if the regular process is prohibitively long.

Also side note: the entire CC permit process is unconstitutional.

The renewal is for the entire state of Washington. I'd call just to make sure, but if you think through it, why wouldn't they?
My guess would be that a permit needs to be renewed in the issuing County where all your records are (prints, photos etc) Plus the county probably wants that $50 too. It's like buying a handgun in Kelso but you live in Vancouver. Your background check is still done by the county you reside in.:s0092:

The renewal is for the entire state of Washington. I'd call just to make sure, but if you think through it, why wouldn't they?

The answer is on Cowlitz's website:

Concealed Pistol License | Cowlitz County, WA - Official Website

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 11.44.04 AM.png

Can a Clark County resident renew in Lewis or Cowlitz county?

The OP is talking about a new CPL. No appointment required for renewals.
From Clark County Sheriff's website...

No appointment is needed for replacement or renewal CPL services.
Renewal/late renewal requirements
  • State or Federally issued identification (ex: state driver license, military ID, passport)
  • $32.00 for those permits not expired (no earlier than 90 days before expiration)
  • $42.00 for those permits expired 90 days or less
  • If your previous permit has been expired for more than 90 days, you are required to apply as an original
  • Completed State of Washington Concealed Pistol License Application

I've been waiting for my renewal from Multnomah county for over a month. When I took my paper work in their precinct was boarded up and closed because of "smoke" during the forest fires.
what a crock.
Get to work.

The OP is talking about a new CPL. No appointment required for renewals.
From Clark County Sheriff's website...

No appointment is needed for replacement or renewal CPL services.
Renewal/late renewal requirements
  • State or Federally issued identification (ex: state driver license, military ID, passport)
  • $32.00 for those permits not expired (no earlier than 90 days before expiration)
  • $42.00 for those permits expired 90 days or less
  • If your previous permit has been expired for more than 90 days, you are required to apply as an original
  • Completed State of Washington Concealed Pistol License Application
Good information thanks!

Have my Oregon CCL. Moved to unincorporated Clark County in September. Took 30 days from call to Dept of Licensing to get an in person appointment in order to get a Washington drivers license. I thought too long but with Covid it is what it is I guess. So I got my license at the end of October. Next, I called the Clark County Sheriff's Office to set an appointment for my Washington CPL. you have to go in person per what I read. Clark County Sheriff's Office told me that the soonest appointment available was JUNE 1st, 2021. I am not making this up. A seven month wait feels like a defacto "no" to granting new concealed licenses in Clark County. I guess I'll have to wait until June...

Have my Oregon CCL. Moved to unincorporated Clark County in September. Took 30 days from call to Dept of Licensing to get an in person appointment in order to get a Washington drivers license. I thought too long but with Covid it is what it is I guess. So I got my license at the end of October. Next, I called the Clark County Sheriff's Office to set an appointment for my Washington CPL. you have to go in person per what I read. Clark County Sheriff's Office told me that the soonest appointment available was JUNE 1st, 2021. I am not making this up. A seven month wait feels like a defacto "no" to granting new concealed licenses in Clark County. I guess I'll have to wait until June...

Open carry and direct all complaints to the department who refuses to give you an appointment.

Has anyone asked the Sheriff for a diplomatic meeting to complain about the unlawful delay? An agency can't avoid the 30 day RCW deadline to issue CPLs simply by refusing to let you apply. Call the NRA's office and ask if they will use their litigation funding to stick up for Clark County gun owners?

I too scheduled last month for my May 13, 2021 first available appointment. When I called the Vancouver PD they said my address falls under the jurisdiction of the Clark County Sheriff's office. Has anyone scheduled an appointment with the Vancouver PD or does the Clark County SO handle all CPL/CCW requests? Since I just moved here in August I am still trying to get caught up on all the gun laws. I have a Utah CCW which was good until I became a resident in WA. Washington law requires me to have a CCW/CPL in my home state therefore nullifying my Utah license in WA.

You have to apply in the jurisdiction you reside. If you live in incorporated Vancouver you can apply to Vancouver PD. Unincorporated you have to apply to the Clark county Sheriff's Office. My mailing address is Battle Ground. Battle Ground is allowing online applications. However, you must live in Battle Ground city limits to apply with Battle Ground PD. I don't. Not complaining too much since my tax burden in an unincorporated area is likely lower. However, the 7 month delay really is unreasonable. Especially where I (and others with other jurisdictions CCL's like the multi-state Utah concealed carry license) have already established we are qualified to have a CCL, or CPL as it is called in Washington. I would also rather have Deputies out on patrol than doing bureaucratic interviews but really, aren't there admin and clerical folks in the Sheriff's Office that could take fingerprints and review applications?

And while I appreciate the open carry suggestion, it raises to many potential issues for me. I will open carry when I am on DNR lands, but otherwise, not. Thanks for the idea on contacting the NRA, it would be nice to see my dues going for something other Wayne LaP's $3000 suits.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top