JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive meet folks that go that route. The police are informed when running ID if a cpl was held and not renewed and usually ask if the person is armed. If your ducks aren't in a row and your cancelling a firearm your in trouble. I keep everything legal it's not worth going down that road in today's anti climate.

Don't ask, and certainly don't tell.
I would credit my CHL for getting me out of two speeding tickets with just a warning. LEO aren't the enemy, but they are tasked with enforcing laws.
Until they enforce illegitimate laws, then it changes. They always can object.

But that's a different story for another day.

If one is concerned about giving up privacy, in 2019, your sadly nearly two decades late, that big push came after 9/11 and data was being collected way before that at well...

If you surf the net, purchase online, text, email or call, you've already compromised your privacy. That's just the way it is. Going off grid totally is the only way to stop the data gathering.

Renew your CPL and protect yourself, no one else will...

One version of reality, is they already have your secret personal data.
I don't know if the Oregon driver license is somehow 'unmarked' after giving up a concealed carry permit. "Growing tired" of privacy being taken, isn't a very effective remedy after the fact of giving them all the data you now want to make 'more secure'.

Yep. Once you're in the database, you're in. Might as well renew.

As much as I agree that a CPL being required to conceal carry is blatantly unconstitutional, we are also having to work within the confines of the government and right now, the government says, can't do that without paying a fee, otherwise it's jail time. When the common sense returns to this land or the reset button is hit, then it won't be needed anymore.

The part I'm not signing up for is the lifetime of background checks just for doing one nics check. That means no more CPL renewals for me, and I bought most of the guns I can use for my holster business last year. Also did my last CPL renewal on new years eve last year, so I've got a little over four years to find another state to live in. Before 1639 you could choose not to do any more when you saw the system getting too onerous, which will happen soon as they have most everyone roped into it and don't feel they need to worry about the optics of it any longer. At that point, denials that happen because of such things as mistakes, records tampering, AG opinions, and so on can and will result in an armed assault on your home. If you've done a nics check post-1639, you can't opt out of that anymore and you'll have no idea when to expect them.

It sucks that we have to and I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'm not going to fight the man over this and if they are worried about their personal information like that, they better be way off the grid and even doing that would be problematic as far as keeping their information secure. I also enjoy my background checks never being longer than 10 or 15 minutes including filling out paperwork.

The part I'm not signing up for is the lifetime of background checks just for doing one nics check. ...

I haven't bought anything recently because of that but I have some past purchases that put me in the DOL's database. I go back and forth on this in my mind regarding whether to buy again or not. If I do, I've signed up for those lifetime checks. If I don't, it isn't 100% clear to me that the law won't be applied to my old purchases retroactively. I also expect future legislation will make the waiver retroactive, so I'm not sure what I'm gaining by stopping purchases. The flip side is that any new purchase made removes the chance to argue against a retroactive waiver either implied in current law or expressly built in to future law.

My plan is to go with what counts right now. Any talk of a retroactive application to prior purchases, is for now just talk. If you remove that HIPPA protection, there are many more unknowns of what that may lead to.

Count me out.

Per my screen name, you'll note that I've been around longer than most here. Before the chl regs changed form "may issue" to "shall issue," in most jurisdictions (including the Portland tri-county area), it was virtually impossible to get a permit, unless you were buddies with, or a large campaign contributor to, your local sheriff. After I left law enforcement, I was a private investigator for the rest of my career. Even though I worked many court appointed homicide and other potentially dangerous cases, and had, in addition to my LEO background, a perfectly clean record, I could not get a CCW permit. Finally, since my family and I owned a small piece of property at the coast, a sheriff there, who had become a friend during a case, bent the rules a bit re 'resident,; and issued me a permit, which I kept updated through him until 'shall' came along. My point is, when I hear whining regarding the difficulties, and 'privacy' and 2nd amendment issues regarding obtaining a permit, I reflect on how bad it was in the past, and am grateful we've moved forward to where we are now, and am thankful that 'privacy' is even (to me) a minor consideration.

While I agree with the idea I will renew my CHL because I'm not willing to die on that hill. I have too much at stake in my life to risk the time and money to fight that charge.

In the last month I've had two separate conversations with two separate people regarding renewing an CPL and both times the other person said they wouldn't be renewing their licenses. When I asked why both said they're tired of the Gov charging them for a Right they already have, the secondary reason is they didn't feel the need to give up this info to any entity and felt their privacy is being taken in everything they do and they're growing tired of it.

Curious if others have heard the same thing from others they've come in contact with.

I have heard it, old news, and I have said it, old news.

Cate

I am not fond at all with having to pay , to "bear arms"....As in the Right to keep and bear arms....
To me carrying concealed is bearing arms...
Nothing in the 2nd Amendment says that you can only bear arms in a certain way or manner...why should I pay to exercise a Right...?
That said...
If I want to be legal ( as in legally concealed ) I need to do so...So I renew every 5 years.
Andy

Will you carry a handgun and/or a knife over a certain blade length in a concealed manner more than in an open manner? Get one.

Be legal and safe so you don't lose even more of your so called RKBA rights (LOL - rights?! Yeah - right. NOT!) by doing something NOT legal in your state or when you travel.

I am waiting with baited breath for the national reciprocity conceal carry law to pass and a whole bunch more that was promised to us by some candidates and past/present politicians too! I do NOT see that happening.

Remember that MANY states that used to HONOR other states carry permits NO longer honor them and people should actually USE the specific states that they are visiting or traveling through .gov websites to protect their butts when it comes to ALL gun and knife laws.

ALL states differ on their gun laws. What is legal here may not be legal there or next door for that matter.

GUN laws differ within different parts of ONE state too.

Open and conceal carry laws differ within ONE state even here in Montana.

Inside and outside of city limits, etc.

I don't own, shoot or conceal/open carry handguns any longer.

I do carry FIXED blade knifes in various lengths depending on where I am.

And in this state - the 'carry' knife laws apply to me and others for conceal or open carry for various types of knifes and for the BLADE lengths.

My MT born and raised husband carries concealed most of the time but he open carries too. He obeys the law.

I obey the law.

All of us have been on LISTS long, long before 9/11 and that is a fact.

You are on a list when you buy a NIB gun from your FFL dealer. You are on a list whether you show your permit or not since you still have to fill out your 4473 form. Permits do make some gun sales go quicker supposedly.

Being on lists are part of your daily life even if we do not LIKE them. From utilities to property taxes to vehicle, boat, etc. registrations, tags, etc.

I lived in 2 states when it came to gun buying issues. (I lived in other states but I was not buying guns in them.) One state did not issue CCW permits until several years after I moved out west. Back east, once I filled out my 4473 form - I breezed right through within a couple of minutes not even 5 minutes. My late husband had a very HIGH security clearance (Retired Military.) and he breezed right though too.

My MT husband renews his carry permit within a month of it expiring. Even if you FILL out your renewal in person at the county courthouse, face to face, had one for 20 or more years, you can't conceal a handgun or a knife, depending on the knife's blade LENGTH, IF your permit expires (Date!) and your permit is SLOW getting to you due to the messed up MAIL delivery system. He has always received his in time. The last time took only 7 days and the time before that took a little bit longer due to the MAIL.

You must immediately change your permit's address within a time frame if you move too. Some people remember their driver's license or their state id card but it goes for their carry permit too.

MT = concealed weapons permit.

I am used to saying CCW from my former state which did not have it when I lived there but I fought for it. It was one of the last - remaining TOP 7 anti ccw states in this nation. Great Lakes region - boonies.

I personally do not believe that we should have to have a PERMIT to carry a handgun concealed (Or even open in some states!) even though many people do not agree with me. Such is life.

If you are not safe (Insane or a violent criminal.) to be in public with a firearm, open or concealed, you need to be in an insane asylum or in jail.

Many states do not even allow open carry unless you have a permit. Some states do not or did not allow open carry of HANDGUNS - period!

Many states do NOT allow a loaded firearm in your vehicle unless you have a PERMIT. Your guns, your ammo and your magazines if you have any must be UNLOADED and kept apart or under lock and key and AWAY from the driver's seat. (This was my former farm/lake state.)

My former state did allow open carry of handguns though.

Cate

Carried for years in ca illegal, could not get a permit, wasn't rich famous or connected. Never got caught. Came up here got my cpl, been carrying for years, only realized recently my cpl expired years ago. Oops! Reapplied last week. Oh well as the saying goes, "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" .

If one is concerned about giving up privacy, in 2019, your sadly nearly two decades late, that big push came after 9/11 and data was being collected way before that at well...

If you surf the net, purchase online, text, email or call, you've already compromised your privacy. That's just the way it is. Going off grid totally is the only way to stop the data gathering.

Renew your CPL and protect yourself, no one else will...

^. This. :s0155:

There are good arguments on both sides.

Keep in mind:
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land." -- William Kingdon Clifford

Everything we do in life involves risks. We calculate the risks as best we can, and modify our behavior to reduce those risks as much as we can tolerate, and then carry on.

I homeschooled my son without bothering to tell the authorities or get their permission. None of their damn business! I consider laws to be 90% impositions, if not 100% (I'm NOT saying that people should be free to victimize others). I feel like less of a slave when I am ignoring or flouting the law.

The Law | Strike-The-Root: A Journal Of Liberty

I guess if a person wanted to conceal without the CCL, they could just tuck their shirt under it if leo was near. Then it would be unconcealed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top