JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Nick Burkhardt - my co-worker was in a similar situation. He fell asleep while driving, twice. Got fired.
Bought a used unit on eBay.
Studied up and got it dialed in. Sort of.

Even now employed, the insurance we have (Kaiser of Atlanta -- not to be confused with a local Kaiser !) it is similarly $2k out of pocket for a test. I told him to setup our Medical Savings Plan $100/pay period and he'd have the money in a year.

He says he does better with his head & shoulders elevated, has a wedge to sleep on.

Good luck.

My wife is a professional driver. She has to protect all her endorsements. Her machine has some way to report to the office. They made it sound like that was a regular thing, for so long as she is working.

She also has the nose pads. Her sister an RN, reminds that you need to use purified water in the machine - not simply tap. It's a tiny risk. But you really do not want to get a brain eating amoeba. And, regular (what ever that is) cleaning - you don't want to be forcing in mold or mildew spores. I am sure any machine you get will come with instructions for this.

Hagar the Horrible gets a CPAP

cg50773320658d6.jpg

Etrain 16: "So, for those that have done the in-home, what does that entail? Does someone come to your home to set up equipment? Or do they just send you home with equipment and instructions?"

I received a referral from a family doc to a sleep med center. They gave me the option of the home test which consists of a rig strapped to your chest that records your heart rate, respiration, and O2 saturation. After a quick brief, I took it home for the night. Dropped it off in the morn.

Nick Burkhardt: "A sleep study is going to be about $2000 and insurance won't pay for any unless they get the ok from the "right" doctor."

Nick, I recommend you see a family practitioner, see what they say, and get a referral if needed. It's a lot of money and time. Don't take my word. Not a doc, and didn't play one on tv. See what your doc says. It could be as simple a custom mouth guard that does the trick. I tried that, but it turned into a chew toy as I slept. Good luck, brother.

The sleep study I did at home was thru the Sleep Medicine network near 82nd overlooking the Banfield freeway. Seems like I had a device on my wrist and finger and maybe a strap around my chest. Provided quite a bit of info! All of this was for a mouth piece, which I hated and stopped using it after a week. (Too tight on my teeth, thought I'd pull a crown each morning I removed it) It took 5 visits which was covered under my dental plan. All told they billed my insurance $2k for a mouth guard. If I had to do that over again, I would just buy the mouth pieces on TV for $50, I've heard from friends those do help the snoring. I have Kaiser now and have the same CPAP as others here. They just used my previous study. If you have no ins. or they won't pay for anything, either find a used CPAP on CL or buy a mouth piece, but just

Norco is the place that provides all my products. They also provided the in home test items. They are helpful kind of. Sometimes they have nothing to add to my questions. Glad I'm dialed now.
I was born with apnea.
Large tongue
Bed wetter
Issues with depression
ADHD
Heart burn at times
Frequent peeing at night

These are all Possible signs.
I have zero issues with them since the cpap
Well I quit pissing the bed at 15. Lol!

Older thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Did a home study as previously described, pretty easy, although did not sleep well all hooked up. When the results were reviewed, they set up a overnight study in the lab. That lets them figure out what pressure is required to work best. The "lab" portion you see is just set up like a small hotel room with private restroom. Yeah, they hook you up with several sensors, but your sleep session is in your private room overnight.
I went from 55 apnea events (65 when sleeping on my back) per hour! with 71% Oxy level, to less than 5 events (NORMAL RANGE) the very first night, and have stayed that way for last two months. Can only wonder how many brain cells I've lost over the years before getting CPAP. Can't recommend it enough!

Older thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Did a home study as previously described, pretty easy, although did not sleep well all hooked up. When the results were reviewed, they set up a overnight study in the lab. That lets them figure out what pressure is required to work best. The "lab" portion you see is just set up like a small hotel room with private restroom. Yeah, they hook you up with several sensors, but your sleep session is in your private room overnight.
I went from 55 apnea events (65 when sleeping on my back) per hour! with 71% Oxy level, to less than 5 events (NORMAL RANGE) the very first night, and have stayed that way for last two months. Can only wonder how many brain cells I've lost over the years before getting CPAP. Can't recommend it enough!
Life saver! Tell me, how often did you have headaches before the cpap?

Going in for a sleep study 12/6/16. Wife and hunting buddies, (one brings his CPAP) tells me I snore very loud and stop breathing. I also wake about every 2 hours to turn side to side, no peeing, no headaches, nap in the afternoon once in awhile, 63 and retired, we'll see how it goes.

Going in for a sleep study 12/6/16. Wife and hunting buddies, (one brings his CPAP) tells me I snore very loud and stop breathing. I also wake about every 2 hours to turn side to side, no peeing, no headaches, nap in the afternoon once in awhile, 63 and retired, we'll see how it goes.

A Cpap machine changed my life 2 yrs ago. I didn't realize I had sleep apnea since my mid to late twenties. (47 now) If I don't use it even one night it really effects me!
I wish you the best and I hop it helps you as it has for me!!

Stacy

Ask your buddy how he knows all that info about your sleeping habits. Lol! Sounds like he still wakes up a lot.

FYI
I was born with it. My 12 year old has one now. My 4 your old will get one soon.
Your either born with it, or get it later in life.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top