JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One legal issue, if you have certain licences then this is not something you can do when you feel like it. You'll have to do it all the time. Modern systems record the data for you, and you transmit it the reporting agency.

What if you go hunting for a week, or vacation for couple, do you need a portable unit to keep up, to meet the legal requirements?

Be sure to check.

Note, I have a portable unit and have since I got my first machine! I don't camp or hunt anymore but where I live makes me subject to power outages. Included in my rig is the inverter, a 12v deep cycle wheelchair battery, the wiring, a quick charger and a 5,000 watt generator that will power plenty of other items but was bought, primarily, to run the charger. Obviously a much smaller genset would be fine, even a vehicle in a pinch! The wheelchair batt is common usage for driving a C-pap. I love this thing, I went for several years of not using C-pap when the power was down! Stress + no real sleep + my already sunny personality was a real bummer!:D

No
They only monitor you the first 30 days

Depending on your insurance company you could have to take the memory card from the machine into the doctors office every few months to make sure you are in compliance, and to check for additional problems.

Make sure to use it every night, and if you plan on taking a nap in front of the tube, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use the cpap then. Falling out of compliance with the insurance companies standard, could mean you are forced to pay for the machine yourself, and they are spendy.

^^^^ this may be true. My insurance was 30 days. The machines have a modem built in. They know a lot about your sleeping from there office. I hate sleeping without the cpap. I freaking get a headache everytime.

What sort of testing? I have been trying to get a sleep study but my wonderful Silver plan through the Oregon exchange won't pay jack bubblegum. I had a finger oxygen monitor overnight that showed my O2 drops to 50% when I sleep. You think that would be enough, but insurance will only listen to the "right" doctor.

50%?!
I'm thinking that is not correct.
What kind of life do you have? How many headaches each week? 50% is heading to death at 50. How old are you?
I'm not sure what your government health care wants from you. You do need to see a doctor that specializes in sleep apnea. Ask them if that works. I'm not sure of you money situation. But worse case you pay out of pocket. Testing and doc fees and machine is probably $10k without insurance.
I'd do it. Or buy a machine on eBay and learn how to titrate your machine.

I take the memory card out of my machine every few weeks and upload the info a website. The site has all my info for every single night.
If I forget to upload after a few weeks they call to remind me.

Nick Burkhardt: "I had a finger oxygen monitor overnight that showed my O2 drops to 50% when I sleep."

Nick, I don't post a lot on this site. I do more listening than talking, but your post hit me hard. I highly recommend you do whatever is necessary to get the sleep study done. That O2 level, if accurate, is in the red. I did my sleep study at home with a portable and uncomfortable rig. My O2 saturation was at 58% with an apnea event every minute (average). I rung someone's bell when the technician read the results a day later. The sleep doc prescribed the CPAP without ever seeing me the first time due the emergent nature. Yes, it changed my life too. It took two people from work prodding to get me to see a doc. Lord knows I wasn't taking the hint from my loving wife. I don't know what your insurance situation is, but get the referral if needed, and get'r done. I hate putting on a mask to sleep, but brother it's worth it. I'll save further testimony, since the rest of the folks darn well said it already.

image.jpg It's a year and a half old now!

Ok.
Mine isn't hooked up to my wifi.
But I was having issues with wifi not being strong enough for our other devices at home. I bought a extender. Works great.

My machine is identical to Velzey's. Issued by Kaiser Sunnyside.
My test was one night. They stick sensors onto you to monitor head and heart.
Not 30 minutes into my sleep study, the technician woke me up and put a mask on me.
Early next morning got unwired and sent to the office for the machine and a class on use.
I use the nose pillows, but have been told by other users I should have asked for the mask.
The out of pocket cost was $500 for me but it was worth it.
Technician also uses one, hunts and fishes. He rigged a toy car battery to camp with his unit.

I am self employed so I have to buy private insurance through the Oregon Exchange to get the ObamaCare discount. The PulseOx rental cost me $40 for the one night, insurance paid nothing. A sleep study is going to be about $2000 and insurance won't pay for any unless they get the ok from the "right" doctor. I spent 45 minutes on hold with insurance yesterday trying to find out what hoops to jump through. I grind my teeth at night and wear a bite guard to keep the enamel from wearing away. A CPAP would have to work around that. No headaches or falling asleep during the day. I am 48, could stand to get more exercise and lose weight. Hopefully that and diet will help with my snoring.

I'm not sure if I could use one. I do snore, but I don't get the headaches folks are talking about and I'm generally fairly well rested when I get up most days. That said, my wife has suggested I consider doing the study, but knowing folks that have done it, I really don't want to do the in-clinic study as that will be a night of completely lost sleep for me.

So, for those that have done the in-home, what does that entail? Does someone come to your home to set up equipment? Or do they just send you home with equipment and instructions?

Depends
Lots never get headaches
In home study is cheap and is to see if you have sleep apnea.
You will wear 3 items on your body and you set it up yourself.
Snoring is a sign. Could be mild apnea or severe. That's the thing, everyone is shocked when they have it.
I will give some more details later today, when I'm in between appointments.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top