JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i just wanted to post this, so I be of a sounding board for people that might need to get tested, or don't even know they need it.
It has literally been life changing. In many ways.
One big way, no more daily head aches. It's shocking!!!!

I've been using one for about a year or so. My life has definitely seen improvement

No more nodding off during lunch, or during a meeting.
No more coming to every morning, my "up" time is cut by 75%
No more headaches - I got them too. Not horrible ones, but just more of a dull ache that was more of an annoyance than anything else. Not as irritable either.
No more fatigue or loss of energy during the day
No more drinking coffee like it was water
My brain seems to start working much earlier, than its usual wake up time of noon.

So I have been considering getting tested for quite some time, but it just always slips down the list. My wife gets upset that I snore so much and that I can fall asleep in seconds before she does and then she commences with the nudges and elbows. My question is about the device or CPAP, and I know you probably aren't a doc but is the mask generally required or is the mouthpiece a viable option? It's still on the list but will be a few more weeks.

Let's see when I surf I can hold my breath for a good 60 seconds. And when I sleep I was holding my breath more thanI was actually breathing I think.. I'm not sure how I'm still alive I was holding my breath for so long during my sleep.

If you have not been tested get it done! The new nose masks are so comfortable, just slip it on and oh look it's 7 hours later and time to get up! No more of that tired all day long falling asleep during all my breaks..

I've been using a C-pap for 11 years.
No one has mentioned that Sleep Apnea can kill you! It kills by heart attack! All of the above are just symptoms, leading up to blowing your pump. B5Ben, the masks come in nose covering, mouth and nose covering, which I have to use, and the mouth piece. Much like a scuba mouth piece. Which you use is largely based on what you can use.
Oregonhunter5 is right, it is a life changing event! I was so beaten down by the symptoms that I didn't really give a poo if I died. Once diagnosed, the machine made life worth living again!
Fair warning, it is not easy to get used to the darned thing, but it's a lot better than leaving a widow and you're children fatherless!

So I have been considering getting tested for quite some time, but it just always slips down the list. My wife gets upset that I snore so much and that I can fall asleep in seconds before she does and then she commences with the nudges and elbows. My question is about the device or CPAP, and I know you probably aren't a doc but is the mask generally required or is the mouthpiece a viable option? It's still on the list but will be a few more weeks.

I hate to sound like a liberal, nannying, mother hen, but get tested!!
In most cases you'll have to do a sleep over - no more than a couple to figure out what kind of machine and mask you need.

My only complaint is in my case its hard to find a mask that will fit my homely mug properly. I also wake up to those marks from the head straps. Other than that its been a godsend. You won't be disappointed.

I took right to it. The new machines and masks are amazing. My first night my wife work me up several times thinking I was dead.. I had not slept that good in years!

Had a friend that kept putting it off and putting it off, had a blow out in his sleep at 42!

I use a mask that just has two soft small round inlets that sit in the nose. I tend to open my mouth when I sleep, so I have to wear a chin strap. You can't have a opening or the air will escape.
My oxygen was 80% at night. That's bad. That's why I had headaches.
53 episodes where I stopped breathing an hour.
I'm a much nicer person.
Much happier.
Way more energy.
Better outlook on life.
I enjoy the mask.
At 42, I'm so shocked how well this works for me, I'd consider going back to med school, to be a sleep doc. Cause I want to help everyone with this stuff.

You asked about the mouth piece, "sleep appliance".
For less severe cases they work ok. But they have one BIG drawback, they change the bite of your mouth. Meaning your teeth will be offset and collide. You don't want that...
There's surgery, but that's less successful, and still not the gold standard which is the cpap.
Best advice is this, man up, and see it through. The cpap isn't that hard.

I will echo what has already been said, I was a bear of a snorer! I could be heard 2 dorms down at the fire station I worked at, falling asleep in seconds. I would get off shift, go home and take a nap even if we did not run calls the night before. I was getting up 4-5 times a night to pee. I did the sleep study which was a take home deal that connected to my wrist. Tried the mouth piece first which I hated. CPAP was the way for me. I opted for the nose pillows rather then the masks and have no issues. The very first night, I slept nearly 13 hours! not getting up once to pee. My wife had to come wake me, she was getting concerned, I never sleep that long. It has now been 7 months. I sleep quietly (My wife says) The CPAP is a quite device, I sleep about 8-9 hours, usually getting up once a night to pee or not at all. Make the call!!

^^^^
That is almost my story. Please be open to this guys. There's a lot of pride with men. A lot. I am one. But this is my only gift I can give you. Get tested. Not snoring is a total bi product. Loving life is what you realize. Not dying of diabetes or heart failure is the unknown win.
Life is much much more happy for me.
It's crazy!!!!!!

One legal issue, if you have certain licences then this is not something you can do when you feel like it. You'll have to do it all the time. Modern systems record the data for you, and you transmit it the reporting agency.

What if you go hunting for a week, or vacation for couple, do you need a portable unit to keep up, to meet the legal requirements?

Be sure to check.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top