JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just returned from 4 days around Bend calling in Coyotes with good success. One day we had some extra time and our next ranch was not until the next morning so I called a rancher who does not allow hunting of coyotes and asked if we could call them in for videos. He said you bet and send me the videos.

You sure can tell these fellas have not been shot at, they came in across the pasture to one side instead of the sage in front. The second even came in from downwind although he didn't come close, just yipped at us. Very interesting seeing their reactions when not shot at.

Coyote coming in to a rabbit call - YouTube

Coyote yipping at us - YouTube

Cool video!

What is the ranchers' reason for not allowing coyote hunting? Kinda interesting

He raises beef cattle and says the coyotes eat all the squirrels, rabbits and rockchucks that eat the grass. We shoot more squirrels, jackrabbits and rockchucks then any 100 coyotes are going to eat. I think he just likes to hear them at night.

Healthy looking coyote - looks well fed......

Yep well fed on all the rockchucks we give him all summer and fall!!!

Rockchucks (or even just plain old gophers) are a worse menace to haying equipment than coydogs, I have to agree with that part. My cousin shot over 200 gophers in one of his small (160 acres) hay fields last spring. I told him to get a Ferret. BTW: My cousin doesn't shoot coydogs either,

Our problem up here in the highlands is pocket gophers. They make the same big mess, but they won't show their heads so you can shoot them.

Squirrels get into feed bins, urinate and deficate as they eat, yes, I can understand the squirrel being a problem.

Rabbits? You would really have to have a lot of rabbits to eat what a cow eats... same goes for mice, of course, mice get into feed bins too, but then there can be hundreds of them little buggers.

Rabbits? You would really have to have a lot of rabbits to eat what a cow eats... same goes for mice, of course, mice get into feed bins too, but then there can be hundreds of them little buggers.

You will notice in my post I mentioned jackrabbits, allthough I did say rabbits first. I guess I will write "black-tailed hare" from now on. We were averaging 10 BTHs every 100 yards. That is a lot of alfalfa!! Here is a pic of the first hundred yards of the field from last year. We didn't take any pictures this year it slowed us down!!!

cjrabbits.jpg

Yikes, that is a lot of BTH...need more coyotes, and more rifles. 10 per hundred yards could be devistating.

North Bend Eh? When I was a teen we were living off Thompson Road in the land between the two towns back in the early 60's (60-63) Still have a couple friends in the area.

I like crab but thinking of a BTH tasting like it makes me queasy. Many years ago the chow hall at MCAS Cherry Point, NC served rabbit with orange gravy. I don't think they intended the gravy to be orange it just worked out that way. The rabbit was good, the gravy got pushed aside.
Those videos were cool.
Mike

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top