JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have coyotes here all the time. They get mostly the mice and squirrels with an occasional cat. That's about it. We had 3 dens of them out on the farm. They supplemented their diet alongside the dogs out in the yard.
I don't know why people get in such a tizzy about coyotes. Keep the cats inside at night. They are mostly nocturnal hunters too. Without them we would be overrun with rats and mice and the damned squirrels. They are bad enough as it is.
A big coyote won't even reach 40 lbs, most are about 25 to 35 soaking wet.

I live in the Cully neighborhood and see them often. My Wife saw one stalking my chickens through the fence, she went outside and it hopped a couple of fences and was gone. I have lost one chicken to a hawk and have seen them after the chickens more than coyotes. Most of the time the crows run the hawks off.

You have higher odds of winning the lottery while being simultaneously struck by lightning on a clear blue day than getting attacked by a "pack" of coyotes.

I always carry cocked and locked but had just got home from work and usually the first thing I do is in chamber and put it away today I just unloaded it and put it back in the holster. Wild life doesn't bother me and have encountered them out in the woods before and never worried about it but to turn you head and see it no more then 10 ft away slinking right at you had me a bit spooked. Seeing one that bold first thing that went through my mind was rabid.

Not uncommon - I had the same thing happen once when I was out CALLING them - turned to see one had snuck up behind me about the same distance - when I turned so did it - and was a memory!

We have coyotes here all the time. They get mostly the mice and squirrels with an occasional cat. That's about it. We had 3 dens of them out on the farm. They supplemented their diet alongside the dogs out in the yard.
I don't know why people get in such a tizzy about coyotes. Keep the cats inside at night. They are mostly nocturnal hunters too. Without them we would be overrun with rats and mice and the damned squirrels. They are bad enough as it is.
A big coyote won't even reach 40 lbs, most are about 25 to 35 soaking wet.

Wheat farmers around here don't like mice and rats and like the coyotes that eat them.

You have higher odds of winning the lottery while being simultaneously struck by lightning on a clear blue day than getting attacked by a "pack" of coyotes.

LOL coyotes don't do people. Even my kids played in the fields when the coyotes were chasing the mice alongside the flail mower. Fox did the same thing. We had several that would wait for us at the end of the driveway to come home and feed the dogs so they could eat too. There was a 3 legged one that went farm to farm begging all the time. He could dammed near out run a greyhound on 3 legs :)
I pulled one pup out from a woven wire fence where he got tangles up in while momma paced back and forth and released him and he took off to mom. About 3 months later I think it was that pup would come to the fence line and pace back and forth showing off his brush rabbit he just got and he kept doing that with squirrels and mice, and gophers. Funnier than hell. Almost like a thank you for saving the lil snot.
Yeah they cause issues with chickens , turkeys, stray cats and such, but overall they are very beneficial and great rodent control. Most on this side of the mountains are lucky if they get to the 20 lb range soaking wet.
I have seen some bigger ones up in the high cascades, but most in the valley are pretty small. They adapt too, and are pretty well at home in residential areas. If you want to worry about something worry about the buildup of the cougar population. They are big enough to do harm and it's a matter of time till they take a kid. Don't worry about the coyotes as they are no threat. If you see them around, they are probably looking for some leftover sandwich or other lunch leavings or a nice smelling garbage can.. or a rodent buildup, in which case welcome them.

I've had them kick dirt in my lap trying to run away when they realized that I had fooled them with the call. That expression on their face at that moment is priceless!

[QUOTE="Taku, [/QUOTE]

... Snipped to .... They adapt too, and are pretty well at home in residential areas....

Way Long ago, in Tacoma Area... I was given a "Yote/dog" mix.... She was really cute, wanted to cuddle in my lap...

Which was allowed... Great Lap dog, Until...
She Pharted. :oops: That was the Foulest Smell, I have EVER SMELLED... And I used to work with a guy who drove the work van... Controlling the Windows.... Oh, I do not think his diet ever varied, Beer & Boiled Eggs.

His Passing Gas, could have taken lessons, from my Yote/Dog phart Production!

In Fact, I heard that Saddam Husein's Chemical War Gases, were based on Yote Pharts.... :confused: :oops: :cool:

philip
Well, it might notta been a Fact... But I swear, Yote Pharts are ~Bad~ !!!!!

We see them periodically here in inner NE PDX. I have noticed that we never hear them yodel. That's too bad because I grew up listening to them sing every night. Loved that, cougars screaming at each other too!

Last Edited:
When I first moved here I stopped into the Vancouver wdfw office and talked to one of the game wardens about yote hunting. Figured I would ask a few questions and see what the prevailing opinion was as elsewhere I had game wardens get all whiney about yote control -even though it was legal...
The Vancouver office was quite happy to suggest that the population needs to be thinned - said that they spend a good chunk of the budget on coyote control in the vancouver area - send out a trapper every time they get a bunch of calls about fluffy disappearing in X neighborhood...

[QUOTE="Taku,

Way Long ago, in Tacoma Area... I was given a "Yote/dog" mix.... She was really cute, wanted to cuddle in my lap...

Which was allowed... Great Lap dog, Until...
She Pharted. :oops: That was the Foulest Smell, I have EVER SMELLED... And I used to work with a guy who drove the work van... Controlling the Windows.... Oh, I do not think his diet ever varied, Beer & Boiled Eggs.

His Passing Gas, could have taken lessons, from my Yote/Dog phart Production!

In Fact, I heard that Saddam Husein's Chemical War Gases, were based on Yote Pharts.... :confused: :oops: :cool:

philip
Well, it might notta been a Fact... But I swear, Yote Pharts are ~Bad~ !!!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah the coydogs are really clingy. Sweet as hell but have to be wrapped around you all the time :)

We see them periodically here in inner NW PDX. I have noticed that we never hear them yodel. That's too bad because I grew up listening to them sing every night. Loved that, cougars screaming at each other too!

Yeah we have had to get up at 1 or 2 in the AM and yell out the window for them to shut up they get so loud at times.
Yipping and howling gets loud, but kind of like the sound.

The yipping is about the only thing that would make me call them a nuisance around my place. I assume they keep the rodent population down and it wouldn't really bother me if some of the roaming neighborhood cats get caught up in the mix too. My dog has met a couple of them in the yard but I don't fear for her safety one bit being over 80#. Most of the ones I've seen aren't very big but there was one that at first glance I thought was a Husky-mix dog. Pretty tall but not very filled out like a dog would be. Beautiful animal. They don't seem to be too afraid of us but keep their distance.

I have been seeing a pretty good sized yote in a field right airport way by the park and fly.
It's an odd place i thought to see one. But i've seen what looks like the same one on multiple occassions

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top