JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was sitting on my front porch smoking and heard a clicking sound turned my head and the biggest damn coyote was almost all the way up my drive way pointed right at me I jumped up and pulled my pistol out racked it and it ran down to the street then turned and stared at me for a few seconds then walked off. I live deep in a neighbor hood on the edge of town see plenty possums coons and what not but never had seen a predator.

We see (and hear) them pretty regularly where we are (south of Oregon City). I'll see them in my neighborhood early in the morning, trotting along the street. We also hear them howling at night. I've never felt the need to pull my gun out though - unless it was attacking a dog or cat in the area, we just let them be. They're very easily scared off. To date, we haven't had any issues with them, and we've been in the area for 15 years.

I've never seen one here and when I saw it it was facing me from about 10 ft away. It startled me I swear it was stocking me. Makes me worried for the kids waiting at the bus stops hopefully it was only the one and there isn't a pack wondering around.

There is likely little to be afraid of with coyotes, though it can be intimidating if you're not used to seeing them. I see them every few weeks and don't give it much thought. Attacks on humans are extremely rare. Here is what the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife has to say about them:

Conflicts with humans

Coyote conflicts can range from relatively benign sightings to pet killings to
an exceptionally rare attack on a human being. Coyotes differ from most
other wildlife species in cities in that they can be considered a nuisance
without any evidence of damage, but simply by being seen. Every year,
ODFW receives many calls from people just because they have seen a
coyote. Many people are not familiar with normal coyote behavior so often
misconceptions and fear results.

Some of the most extreme examples of conflict between humans and coyotes
are those cases where a coyote has attacked a pet or domestic livestock.
Some counties have placed bounties on coyotes to help control predation on
livestock.

While urbanization has encroached on habitat and displaced many wildlife
species in the Pacific Northwest, coyotes have demonstrated amazing
resiliency and adaptability in the presence of humans. Intelligent and
adaptable, coyotes have benefited from people in some ways. Human
development of buildings, canals, garbage dumps, domestic livestock and
pets has provided coyotes with an abundance of food and shelter. Coyotes
have made good use of these resources and are now common even in
metropolitan areas.

As the populations of both people and coyotes increase, more frequent
encounters between the two are inevitable. Therefore education is an
important factor in dispelling misinformation about coyotes and coexisting
with these remarkable animals.

That's what I have read too and good to know. I have also read stories of coyotes killing people but never alone. I doubt I'll see one again but to to admit it freaked me out a bit lol.

As long as they keep to themselves, they can be kind of fun to watch. Like I said, until they start going after animals around our neighborhood, we're content with leaving them be. Hopefully your guy was just out snooping around. I treat them like unfamiliar dogs - keep my distance. If they were to become aggressive toward me or someone else, then yes, the gun may come out at that point.

I saw a huge coyote about this time a couple years ago crossing the street on Phinney Avenue on my way to pick up the kidlet from school. It certainly caught my attention, but my guess is your average Seattle housefrau thought it was just their neighbor's collie. They're highly adaptable and eat a lot of cats and yipper dogs, so for now they have my support.

watch for, "LOST CAT" signs to start popping up. :s0165:

Yep. Deep in inner NE Portland's Irvington neighborhood cutting grass at some fine historical homes. I've been standing there talking with a client about the weather and the green grass when a Coyote comes trotting down the middle of the road. Yelling and clapping my hands barely changed it's gait, as his head turned to look at me. I've seen one in the Alameda Neighborhood too. There's not really any over grown areas in these hoods for the coyotes to bed down, that must mean they're sleeping in your hedge? Under your large front/back porch? Behind the garage in that 2' wide space with last years leaves? I've seen they're scat too, it just looks, different, laying there in the middle of the sidewalk.

I get a bit of a kick out of seeing the "Missing Fluffy" posters on the phone poles. People need to keep the cats IN THE HOUSE, where they belong.

Mike

"People need to keep the cats IN THE HOUSE, where they belong."

Good point,
It's a good idea to always keep your cats and other dog food in the house, so you don't attract wildlife.

I have lived hearing and seeing them regularly most of my life. Heck I hardly notice them anymore, like deer and elk. When my daughter was young she was always afraid of them when they would scream and howl in the woods behind the house at night but I would always try to let her know there was nothing to fear and they were probably just happy because they playing with their puppies or something like that. Personally I like hearing them at night. It helps me fall asleep.

"People need to keep the cats IN THE HOUSE, where they belong."

Good point,
It's a good idea to always keep your cats and other dog food in the house, so you don't attract wildlife.

I lived in Florence Oregon, and had a door for my cat... One day, he did not come home.... If I had known he was going to be gone that long, I would have packed a lunch for him...

As it is, that neighborhood is still filled with Coyotes.

I just knew that Buddy was always an outdoor cat First, then Indoors.

He was the only cat I ever had, that would jump into my open car door, sit on the Passenger Seat, wait for my Seatbelt work, And Then get up on my shoulders, and ask "Where we going, Dad"???? Very close ties to Buddy.

Now, my Cat is Indoors Only. And the family of three cats inbetween were Raised to be Indoor Only...

That entire story cover my 21 years of being in Oregon. Cats. Indoors. And give them plenty of Belly Tickles!!!!

philip :s0104:

I love my cat but it loves the outside environment. I live on the edge of a small town of 500 people. I hear the packs outside at night and worry about her. I would rather let her run free and enjoy her life than keep her safe and locked inside. The risk and worry is my problem, not her's.

I think not more than two weeks ago we saw a small pack of coyotes in the field right next to Tualatine Sherwood Road. They were pretty close to the road, so even with tall grass we could see them.

I also saw then on roads 2-3 times while driving. They are not afraid of lights and car sounds, so they must be quite used to human activities.

I love my cat but it loves the outside environment. I live on the edge of a small town of 500 people. I hear the packs outside at night and worry about her. I would rather let her run free and enjoy her life than keep her safe and locked inside. The risk and worry is my problem, not her's.
That is why we did not clip our cats claws. She was in doors most of the time, but occasionally wondered outside. But she also torn part of our carpet up. A small price to pay.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top