JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun?

• AR15

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Bolt Action (Like Rem. 700)

Votes: 45 42.1%
  • Other - say below

Votes: 13 12.1%

• Total voters
MyBushy.jpg

I have three coyote guns, Bushmaster, Savage .223, or my Mini 14. My Bushmaster has a scope now, and its very accurate, it has a Stainless 16 inch bull barrel.

My favorite coyote gun is an AR15 in 6.8MM 16" barrel with a nikon 1.5X6X42 scope.
For east side remington R-25 in .243 win with a bushnell 6500 2.6X16

Most coyotes i shoot are in the 30-40yrd range.

I would use my AR15 Ultra Match. Bolt guns have nothing on this gun for this type of shooting

My second choice would be a scoped stainless mini 14 that is a 1 MOA factory rifle. I am sure it will walk rounds a bit after heating up, but that is not the type of shooting we are talking about

I would go with speed and accuracy. I have a 22-250 model 70 that shoots 1/2 inch groups (with Federal premium ammo) and it's wind sensitivity is not noticable out to 200 yards with moderate wind. However, my model 700 in .223 is wind sensitive at 100 yards. Both guns are pillar bedded. The 22-250 is far more accurate than the 223.

I would go with a longer barrel in 22-250. Maybe the other guys have something to add about the .223 in bolt action with longer barrels. tkdguy

I would go with an AR for the faster follow up shots. Personally I am toying with building a yote gun so I can buy it in pieces that way wife doesn't freak about price if I am getting it in small chunks. :)

In E. Oregon on or near the ranch near Condon, I always keep an M77 .270 Win with me. Never know how far, or what you'll see.

In W. Oregon where there's woods and brush, it's a rifled barrel 12 ga with Remington Accu Tip bonded sabot slugs to bust the brush and kill anything out to 200 yards.

If you are just getting into coyote hunting and don't have a lot of money to spend on the expensive rifles the H&R, and Rossi single shot rifles are cheap and work just fine. They come in many calibers, 223, 22-250, 243 are all great choices.

I have a Rossi 22-250 with bull barrel and a 8X32 illuminated scope.
The rifle can shoot better than I can see. The whole rig was less than $300.

I agree with the member comment to take what ever rifle you can shoot well. Even a nice henry lever action in 22 mag will work well on most shots.

you guy's got me feeling a bit undernourished ! i'v been using a ruger 96/22 mag (jhp-40 gr)for years,and my buddy uses a ruger in 17 hmr,but living in prineville--if you miss one ,just look around the next tree,and your good to go again--pretty plentifull here--

steven

Just popped a coyote Saturday morning. Just by luck. I had the safe open, working on some guns, and I looked outside and saw a coyote sitting under the old apple tree. I ran out and grabbed the first gun I saw, AR .223 carbine, with eotech. Put the dot on him, and pulled one off. It flipped him, and he landed running so I put 2 more in the tail end. That did him in.

I have the chance to do some coyote hunting sometime this year (hasn't been determined yet) and I want to get my gear together.

So... I am considering my weapon of choice... a nice bolt-action rifle, say a Remington 700 in .223 or .22-250 or ??? OR my AR15 with a smaller mag? Maybe get a different upper, like a 20-24" varmint upper...

I place accuracy OVER speed -- so I am leaning towards a Rem700...

all of the above are good weapons, the killer is the bullet, hornady vmax is a must imo, 55 or 60 grain, pretty much will finish any coyote.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top