JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Central Oregon, have a Johnny Stewart Preymaster electronic caller which I have never used, and a willing attitude to learn.

If there is anyone willing to mentor me, I will be happy to furnish transportation or pay for gas and lunch. :eek:

Thanks,
Ray

I am by no means the worlds leading authority on predator hunting. With that said I was blessed with the opportunities to get to hunt with people who knew what they were doing. Rich and Tyler Higgins, Scott Francom, Jay Nistetter were some of the guys I spent time with on stand down in Arizona while living there. Gerry Blair, Les Johnson, Steve Craig, Mark Zepp and many more have spent time by the campfire talking with me about the finer points of this or that. And there are countless other men I shared a stand with that I personally would put on the same level as the above mentioned even though they are not famous in the community.

I have hunted the worlds before and called enough coyotes to win it, however the second part of the deal connecting with them and that I sure did not.

With all of that said, I was afforded the opportunity to meet those people, learn from them because of websites like the following:

Welcome to Predator Masters -- Hunting the Hunters
<broken link removed>
The NPHA

I think if you looked hit those forums with your willing attitude you would surely find someone to take you up on your offer.

As a teenager I hunted hwy 20 east of Bend and also did real well up around Madras. You are in a good area and all it will take is getting set in the right direction.

There is a fella by the name of Jerry Mallbeck who posts on predatormasters from Oregon, another fine hunter goes by the name of tt35 on PM. Look either of those guys up and you will be ahead of the game.

If I ever decide to get an Oregon hunting license maybe you and I can share a stand and I can pass on what I have learned from people better then myself. I just moved back to Washington from Arizona and have yet to travel across the Columbia in search of predators. Although Bend is only a 2 hour'ish drive from my new home.

Also, look into predator hunting clubs in your area. In Arizona I was a member of the APC ( Arizona Predator Callers) and also attended PVCI (Phoenix Varmint Callers Inc.) meetings and met most of the legends in the sport. These clubs usually have events designed to foster new comers to the sport and always welcome new members. Give google a ring and see if you cant find a club in your area.

Either way, good luck and keep after them!

Thanks for advice kodiak61! I will visit those sites. I am not a youngun, actualy closer to an old'n. ;)

Best thing about predator hunting, age is not a factor. No heavy lifting needed!

I hunted with an 80 year old guy from the APC who walked my (at the time) 28 year old dick in the dirt (pardon the expression). I was always the young one when I hunted in AZ, I think because I always wanted to hunt with the older guys who had years of experience to learn from. Tyler Higgins was the youngest person I hunted with, but he called and killed his first coyote at age 4 or 5 so I dont think he counts as young when it comes to calling. Kid is only 25 now and just won the AZ state calling championship for either the 2nd or 3rd year in a row.

Ok I'm rambling again, good luck my friend.

Here is the first thing I would start with?

1) Full camo that works good in the sage brush. Face mask too. Think Bow hunting level.
2) Cheap pad to sit on from walmart. $5
3) Varmint Als shooting sticks $20 Varmint Al's Bi-Fur-Pod Page
4) Sling on your rifle to hook over the sticks when you sit down.

Practice a bit with the sticks and pad so you can just drop and set up real smooth. You will want to set the caller and get down real soon with out a bunch of movement. I don't get over there much but if I do I would be happy to take you out for a day.

I would just do the basic 2 sticks. Or you could purchase them if you don't want to mess with making them. Don't use a harris bi-pod though and make sure the sticks are the right length for you. Keep in mind a lot of the time you will be on the face of a hill looking down. So the sticks need to be long enough to still work in that situation.

I live in Central Oregon, have a Johnny Stewart Preymaster electronic caller which I have never used, and a willing attitude to learn.

If there is anyone willing to mentor me, I will be happy to furnish transportation or pay for gas and lunch. :eek:

Thanks,
Ray

If you prefer to learn in the fashion of the blind leading the blind, my dad also recently came into a very nice e-caller (don't recall the brand) and is in the same boots as you. He's a VERY knowledgeable marksman, and we hunt big game and waterfowl together, but coyotes are a different breed. (get it?)

Anyways, he just retired, and his other shooting buddy (besides me) is often too busy for his new-not-at-all-busy-watch-tv-all-day-schedule. You guys might just hit it off.

Why do I feel like I'm trying to get my dad back into the dating scene?

Hey ray, I am actually going to go hunt next weekend, cougar and yotes. If you would like to come along i always enjoy company of other hunters. I basically only hunt coyotes n cats, this year was the first i elk, deer, and bear hunted. My buddy richard and i nabbed 11 coyotes in the opening morning of the high desert coyote hunt 3 years ago, i do have a few sweet spots but they are approx hour and a half away from us. Let me know. Yes we will hook up n head out to my long range area, i get my stock finally on tuesday for my 300.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top