JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
is it legal to hunt coyotes in oregon with an ar 15? is 223 over kill? do most contests and controlled hunts allow it? im thinking about goin out and given it a try it would be my first time so just trying to get some info id probly find some land pick a spot and sit their make some calls to see if any would come about if i start doin it often then id probly try some contests or something in the future any info given would be awesome thanks i read somewhere that you cannot hunt in oregon with more than a 5 round magizine is this true?

You can not hunt "Big Game Mammals" with more than 5 round capacity with a semi auto rifle in Oregon. Coyotes are not considered big game mammals in oregon, nor are they considered furbearers so you are good to go with your AR and hi-cap magazines. 223 is definately not overkill for coyotes. Get out there make some sounds like you're a dying critter and keep shooting until you run out of coyotes or ammo!

Let me warn you in advance, it is very addictive.

Never done coyote hunting and would like to give it a try, too. In fact, I've never done any hunting. Do you need license, tags like with big game? Can you provide any good links on the topic? tnx.

Coyotes are Varmints not furbearers no furbearers lic needed no season or bag limit. hunting lic is all you need.
Predatormasters.com is a great place to learn.

You can not hunt "Big Game Mammals" with more than 5 round capacity with a semi auto rifle in Oregon. Coyotes are not considered big game mammals in oregon, nor are they considered furbearers so you are good to go with your AR and hi-cap magazines. 223 is definately not overkill for coyotes. Get out there make some sounds like you're a dying critter and keep shooting until you run out of coyotes or ammo!

Let me warn you in advance, it is very addictive.

CALLED ODFW and was told you have to use a 5 rnd mag for yotes also...

In fact, I've never done any hunting. Do you need license, tags like with big game? Can you provide any good links on the topic? tnx.

Newcomers to hunting should complete the Oregon Hunter Education class. This is available as a free workbook or online.

Just email ODFW and they will mail the workbook to you in a few days.

There is a lot to know about hunter ethics and safety, even for non-game animals.

ODFW Hunter Education

CALLED ODFW and was told you have to use a 5 rnd mag for yotes also...

This is incorrect. It is completely legal to hunt varmints with an AR with a magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds.

ODFW is an absolutely terrible source for what is legal and what is not legal. Most of the time you end up talking to some idiot college intern who has no idea of the game laws.

You need to contact Oregon State Police to ask game hunting "legality" questions, since they will be the entity enforcing the laws and issuing citations etc...

Never done coyote hunting and would like to give it a try, too. In fact, I've never done any hunting. Do you need license, tags like with big game? Can you provide any good links on the topic? tnx.
Welcome to Predators_west lake oswego, OR has the only copy of coyote 101, this is a scientific research paper on the coyotes eye and instincts. sign into the forum and they will send you a free call and some camo to get you started.

greenbug is correct, do not ask odfw legal questions, they only try to manage game and fish, and poorly at that. imo. Ore. State Police are the enforcers of the laws.

Sure, but you're going to need to ask for permission from landowners if you're in the flats. They have coyotes in Lake Oswego, so there are dogs around but they aren't as plentiful as starlings or pigeons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top