JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know this may not be the right forum but since ya'll are talking coyotes I thought I'd reply with my issue.....
I seriously need some help with the coyotes in my neighborhood. I live in Multnomah County in Portland, OR and I cannot figure out what to do about these coyotes. They are living in my neighborhood. There are tons of them on this block. They're not afraid of humans AT ALL. One came trotting down the middle of the street in broad daylight right up to my car, before it veered off and went in this yard they're living in. I didn't even know there was a house there cuz it's so overgrown with brush, but it's like a perfect little home for these beasts and I want them GONE! Another time it came at me and my kids (walked right past my cat tho) and I had to scream and charge back to get it to run away!
Anyone have any input or suggestions for me? The police said we could shoot them, just have to be careful since firing in city limits is illegal (to some extent).
Please, any insight will be helpful.

I know this may not be the right forum but since ya'll are talking coyotes I thought I'd reply with my issue.....
I seriously need some help with the coyotes in my neighborhood. I live in Multnomah County in Portland, OR and I cannot figure out what to do about these coyotes. They are living in my neighborhood. There are tons of them on this block. They're not afraid of humans AT ALL. One came trotting down the middle of the street in broad daylight right up to my car, before it veered off and went in this yard they're living in. I didn't even know there was a house there cuz it's so overgrown with brush, but it's like a perfect little home for these beasts and I want them GONE! Another time it came at me and my kids (walked right past my cat tho) and I had to scream and charge back to get it to run away!
Anyone have any input or suggestions for me? The police said we could shoot them, just have to be careful since firing in city limits is illegal (to some extent).
Please, any insight will be helpful.

If you just want to remove them, some sturdy snares and bulk chicken thighs might be most efficient. Obviously make sure no pets would be exposed. It might also have bycatch from other wild animals like deer and raccoons.

If you want to shoot, some options are air rifles, bows, crossbows, and maybe a well-placed suppressed 22lr. Not legal though. Eager to hear other ideas, since I have a squirrel problem.

Snares and traps are very indiscriminate for in town use, If you want to trap a live trap is your best bet.
My suppressor is legal.
If your in the city limits anything that shoots is a no no.

Bow and arrow or crossbow for non gun options. You need a license to trap them in the city. Call animal control first and ODFW for more info on both methods.

We have found out from the lady living in the house where the coyotes den is that there are 5. Two adults and 3 pups. All living in her backyard. This is right in a residential area of SE Portland. I know it's not legal to shoot inside city limits but how are we supposed to get them out of here?
The lady living there is disabled and unable to clear out her yard, which is why its so overgrown and the coyotes are living there in the first place.
She wants them gone too and has given permission for us to set traps in her yard. I just don't have the 1st clue what I'm doing and would much rather have someone who knows about this stuff handle it
Bow and arrow or crossbow for non gun options. You need a license to trap them in the city. Call animal control first and ODFW for more info on both methods.

I have tried both of them. Animal Control refers you to Fish & Wildlife and they do nothing. They did give me phone numbers to places that you can hire to come out and trap them. There are 5 of them living in the backyard of the house just down from me. This is a residential area and these coyotes are just trotting around like nothing, killing all the local house pets, and no one will do a damn thing. It's really driving me crazy!

We have found out from the lady living in the house where the coyotes den is that there are 5. Two adults and 3 pups. All living in her backyard. This is right in a residential area of SE Portland. I know it's not legal to shoot inside city limits but how are we supposed to get them out of here?
The lady living there is disabled and unable to clear out her yard, which is why its so overgrown and the coyotes are living there in the first place.
She wants them gone too and has given permission for us to set traps in her yard. I just don't have the 1st clue what I'm doing and would much rather have someone who knows about this stuff handle it

I have tried both of them. Animal Control refers you to Fish & Wildlife and they do nothing. They did give me phone numbers to places that you can hire to come out and trap them. There are 5 of them living in the backyard of the house just down from me. This is a residential area and these coyotes are just trotting around like nothing, killing all the local house pets, and no one will do a damn thing. It's really driving me crazy!
Oh, and fish and wildlife, along with the police, have all told me it's ok to get rid of them by my own means... And if one comes at me or my kids or pets, that I have every right to shoot them...of course both have then stated that you better be careful if you fire in city limits, the sergeant told me you better make sure your bullet hits its target ;)
But I'm no hunter, lol.

Again its just me. I quit hunting them decades ago. But if that is your thing there is no shortage of them. Just remember the vids when you go <EG>:D

Tree stand in her back yard and a crossbow. Make sure your shots are downward angle, so any misses stick in the ground, and as bad as it sounds head shots only. Don't want a wounded coyote dropping 2 blocks away in someone's yard. Fish&Wildlife may have kennel traps.

Just remember the vids when you go
Yea this is all warm and fuzzy when people domesticate wild animals but the reality is it is few and far between and usually nothing good comes out of it. If you remember from the vid he is only the 2nd person in the US to legally have a Coyote as a pet - and I noticed when his daughter was 'howling at the moon' with it, it was on a short leash. I know some people who have a bobcat as a pet and most who have been around it say they would not trust it as it still acts wild unless in constant company of the owners. Typical wild animal ownership by people who want to be 'highlighted' because of it.

Yea this is all warm and fuzzy when people domesticate wild animals but the reality is it is few and far between and usually nothing good comes out of it. If you remember from the vid he is only the 2nd person in the US to legally have a Coyote as a pet - and I noticed when his daughter was 'howling at the moon' with it, it was on a short leash. I know some people who have a bobcat as a pet and most who have been around it say they would not trust it as it still acts wild unless in constant company of the owners. Typical wild animal ownership by people who want to be 'highlighted' because of it.

Several untruths There are thousands of coy dogs and canines are not cats and the rest is do what you like that is what makes America great :) When people have not lived it don't pretend to understand it :)
Go kill a bunch. I wish ya well.
Lord knows I have killed my share of them, before I came to my senses.
As I said I shoot rodents and meat game, but just quit killing canines for the sake of killing them. You do as you wish. Its just my preference, and if what I say wakes someone up then great if not then great :)
I have rescued more of the wild canines than most people have seen and every rescue was due to ineptitude of the human. Yeah most should never try to raise them, but also most should never have kids either.

Last Edited:
I agree with you Taku, it is not the animals fault but the lack of a humans brain matter. :s0013: You are also right when you say most should never have kids. I despise ignorant, :s0076:selfish people :s0032:that have children and are abusive to them:s0037: as well as not provide them with LOVE and PATIENCE !:s0116: :s0107: :s0047: Like you said if you have not lived it don't pretend to understand it ! I am living proof of what we are talking about and I blame the ignorant Human .:s0083: I had my lil dog attacked by the big dog next door and it was my fault for not having my lil dog on a leash.:s0081: I was mad at the big dog but it was not his fault, SO ? :s0099::s0092: :s0054:

Yeah I have called in literally hundreds of them. I used to hunt them, and then one day I just looked at them differently and stopped. It was my choice. I learned a bit about them and liked what I saw.
Now if one got to my chickens or ducks or came after my companion animals them I would most likely still drop them, but to just kill them because I could, I just prefer not to any longer. I kill for meat and still go after sage rats and other rodents but just not the canines. I have developed a soft spot for them. I figure if we have to kill something, someday we will end up having that opportunity with the Islamic terrorists when they begin their BS here. The Canids have not tried to bomb me yet.:)

Oh, and fish and wildlife, along with the police, have all told me it's ok to get rid of them by my own means... And if one comes at me or my kids or pets, that I have every right to shoot them...of course both have then stated that you better be careful if you fire in city limits, the sergeant told me you better make sure your bullet hits its target ;)
But I'm no hunter, lol.
Yup, Good old ODFW , '' Oregon Dept. of Fat & Worthless '' and Animal Non-Control:s0036: get paid for not doing a Damn thing ! :s0129:It's their job to take care of that and not the Disabled lady or you folks ! LEO, ''Laughing Egotistical Officer'' :s0121: Bless his heart, he said you could shoot them if they come at you, your kids or pets. :s0003:Both stated that you better be careful if you fire in city limits, the ''sergeant ? '' told you, better make sure your bullet hits its target.:s0030: I bet it felt so good to have such contradictory Pearls of Wisdom told to you by such sacrificing and hard working public servants.:s0004: Just to know that all the Tax Payers $ is going to such worthy individuals that will Prosecute you,:s0007: steal what little $ you have:s0010: and then give you a nice,warm and safe bed + free meals and even a communal shower!:s0046: Wow , what a deal !:s0076: :s0153: All because you asked those that are there to ''Protect & Serve ! '' :s0094: :s0008: :s0115: :s0098:

Sorry! I had responded to the wrong reply, lol. My bad
I'm new to all this.
But I got that, lol.

Anyway, yeah, I was pretty shocked they said those things. I honestly couldn't believe that no one would do anything. The non-emergency people acted like animal control would be all over it and take care of it right away, so I call...they act like Fish & Wildlife would be the ones to handle it, so I call...NOTHING!
It's really sad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads