JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone suggest me an area or two that would be good for learning to call coyotes? I am self-teaching myself how to call and really dont' know know any good areas (or how to call for that matter). I live in Portland so somewhere within a two hour drive would be good, preferably somewhere I can set up a camp for the weekend or something. I only have a Scion hatchback so I am limited to roads that aren't too hard to travel. It's tough to get into this type of stuff when you have no friends or family that do it! If anyone feels so inclined to teach me I am a good listener and student :s0114: Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Just go out into the woods you know best and look for dog crap and coyote tracks in the mud. They are EVERYWHERE. . . you don't need someone to tell you an area. They are even in Portland.

look for dog crap and coyote tracks in the mud.
AND once you find the above look for an area you can comfortably hunker down in, yet still safely control your rifle and ensure you have a good field of view and safe backstop. Full camo is essential, keep upwind, scent helps and learn to properly 'call' with your predator call. Get a good book or a video on predator calling. I would recommend you start by just going out and practicing calling and don't even think about any shooting at first. See if you can even call anything in. Calling is an art combined with some natural animal science and understanding the coyotes behavior. I have been doing this for a long time and still don't have it all down.

Find a good back drop. Don't be on the skyline. Make sure bushes are behind you. Wear camo. Stay STILL. Move your eyes, not your head. Make sure the first shot is perfect, cause the second one is a luck shot.

That would be great twodogs and much appreciated. I plan on spending the first couples weekends in April heading out and trying to call, so any advice you have, places or technique wise, would be a great help. I have been reading a lot and watching videos so now I just gotta get out there and try.

I'm out in Vernonia. I've been finding areas but having a hard time figuring out how to call 'em in. If anyone who wants to give it a shot out this way and a. is sober, b. follows the law, 3. doesn't sweep me with their rifle, d. isn't a complete tool bag, bragger or bullbubblegumter, e. is up for a 3-5 mile hike but doesn't march like a member of the special forces wants to try a few spots where there may or may not be coyotes but lots of really nice terrain and the possibility of finding an elk shed, and finally knows how to sit still and be quiet then let me know.

Heck just discussing this is getting me excited to get out and do some calling! One of the most common mistakes made by first time callers is 'over calling' When in a comfortable spot (and you are ready) make your first call loud, fast and of SHORT duration - I mean like 15 - 20 seconds and no more. And that is it for that spot. As previously mentioned move your eyes and not your head, don't even whisper, and be PATIENT! it is not unusual to see a coyote very soon after calling but don't even think of moving for 20 - 45 minutes as a wary, older dog will zig zag, try to come in behind you or simply hide and watch and wait. The reason you don't want to blast another call is if one happens to come in and you call again it will most likely scare it off. there is an ancient (and very effective) technique for dealing with this but we'll save that for later. If after a minimum of at least 45 minutes (and seeing/hearing nothing) you might go ahead a try one more short call but most likely you have 'contaminated' the area and it will be time to move on. Plan on two to three moves in a typical day of calling. One final hint - don't think you will always 'see' a 'yote you call in. More often than not you will hear them before, if ever, seeing them. I have been in tree stands in the winter and heard them trotting through the snow in what seemed right in front of me and never saw them. I was once resting against a rock wall on the ground while one was mocking me by screeching out - on the other side of the wall - but only after it trotted back and forth for over a half hour. I once was beginning to stand up to leave the area only to discover one had moved in to within about 10 feet behind me and jumped in and took off when I stood up.

While we on the subject of coyotes, anyone use a .223? If so what loads are you using? I was flipping through the regs and it states that you can't use FMJ's for game mammals and a magazine that holds more than five rounds. Does this apply to coyotes?I can't seem to find any .223 besides FMJ's

I'm out in Vernonia. I've been finding areas but having a hard time figuring out how to call 'em in. If anyone who wants to give it a shot out this way and a. is sober, b. follows the law, 3. doesn't sweep me with their rifle, d. isn't a complete tool bag, bragger or bullbubblegumter, e. is up for a 3-5 mile hike but doesn't march like a member of the special forces wants to try a few spots where there may or may not be coyotes but lots of really nice terrain and the possibility of finding an elk shed, and finally knows how to sit still and be quiet then let me know.

In for a weekend, I am just a short jaunt out to you in Vernonia. I love to hike and alpine climb so I am up for a long hike any time :s0155:

If you do go out now, dont get discouraged. Right now is probably the worst time of the year to have much of any success in calling coyotes. Most of the dogs are shacked up with their mates getting ready to drop a litter of pups and have heard every call all winter long. In short they are pretty wise this time of year to prey sounds. If you can produce a good challenge howl that would be the most effective this time of year as the dogs are paired up and territorial right now.

Best success is just before hunting season in the fall, plenty of dumb uneducated young of the year pups looking for food and friends. Plus there has not been a bunch of heavy traffic out there like during or right after the fall hunting seasons. September to November is a good time to "learn" how to call coyotes since the rate of success is much higher and you will be more likely to stick with it with the higher likelihood of success.

Is the offer still on the ta

Can anyone suggest me an area or two that would be good for learning to call coyotes? I am self-teaching myself how to call and really dont' know know any good areas (or how to call for that matter). I live in Portland so somewhere within a two hour drive would be good, preferably somewhere I can set up a camp for the weekend or something. I only have a Scion hatchback so I am limited to roads that aren't too hard to travel. It's tough to get into this type of stuff when you have no friends or family that do it! If anyone feels so inclined to teach me I am a good listener and student :s0114: Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.
-
All the counties in Oregon are filthy thick in Coyote especially west side of the state in all the rural and AG area's . Living here and hunting Coyote for many years every week and seeing how Grossly Underestimated numbers people think they are around the local area's . You don't have to go to travel Eastern OR. of travel out of state . I hunt coyote and have shot more than most people around here for coyote . Is good just walking looking for Sign ( Coyote *S.HI*T. ) when they scratch & mark territory . Or look for prints left in area's . That's good for learning there travel routes & Den area's .
( this Not Opinion ) . My biggest trick for hunting coyote is simply going out at night to my chosen area and spending ' TIME ' . ' Listening ' . and there is 2 or 3 times every night when the groups of dogs will light-up Call & chatter . They will tell you themselves where they are living and hanging . Always (if possible) before dirtying-up the area with Calling . Invest a little time before educating Dogs . Go Out and ' listen ' early evenings and dark Early morning hours . Combine that with looking in the day hours for sign .

I've hunted north plains and vernonia. Always looking to add a hunting buddy to my list. I meet all your criteria and would love to hunt with you. I have a few secret spots as well as made a few friends that own land. Think horningly if you catch my drift. I use an inexpensive electronic call. I've got a few downloaded sounds on it that always bring them in. I use a bull barrel 700 in 223 and usually stick with 55 grain anything, but my fav is ballistic tips.

Just realized I meet mrwoodsmans criteria. Not the OPs.

Mrwoodsman or the OP, I live in NP and work in V. Hit me up if your looking to add a hunting, shooting, scouting friend to your list.

Bastards are thick of dogs out in there and always killing lots out from hillsboro/north plains to banks .

I got 2 dogs two days ago . But It HOT days off & on right now and Dogs not moving much and running hard even after midnight . Even this morning it was 70 deg. at 01 am . was out threw some field area walking about 1.5 miles with rifle out in Banks area and was 'sweating' with Pack and rifle . think maybe even a 100 deg. tomorrow also which really Sucks .
was almost daylight with full-Moon big above last night and easy to see out in the grass fields . Saw no dogs running at all but around 02.30 I found ( Heard exactly where ) a pack light-off of Yipping fleabags that are Den up in area of thick and trees at far end of property but they was no more than 300 or 400 yards max. off to where I was sitting and killing time listening .

Was of mostly yearlings yipping and only couple of older dogs mixed in pack . So with only about 3 hours of my time. I got a good spot to sit when this Hot spell breaks to set-up and run a sound .
Soon as this full moon dumps out the weather will cool and hopefully we get a little rain to knockoff the dust . Dogs will run harder soon as we drop about 25 deg.
This heat makes the grass and fields crisp dry . makes trying to be quiet almost impossible walking, anywhere as every step is Crunch Crunch and the Dogs hear real good . Need a little rain to soften things up and make getting out to your sit a little more stealthier .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top