JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get into cowboy style shooting and am looking for some suggestions on what lever action and pistol options exist that won't break the bank on both upfront cost or ammo. I am a pretty busy fella so although setup and capable I just don't reload with the exception of my hunting rifles. The only revolver I currently have that would fit the bill is a Blackhawk in 357 that has some sentimental value so I am somewhat dissuaded from using it. Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

Looking to get into cowboy style shooting and am looking for some suggestions on what lever action and pistol options exist that won't break the bank on both upfront cost or ammo. I am a pretty busy fella so although setup and capable I just don't reload with the exception of my hunting rifles. The only revolver I currently have that would fit the bill is a Blackhawk in 357 that has some sentimental value so I am somewhat dissuaded from using it. Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.
I think you need two revolvers and rig. I'd look at SA Rugers without target sights in .357/.38 if that caliber is competitive.

OP: In my own SASS career, I discovered it really didn't matter how perfect your
'first outfit' was in caliber, make, model, etc etc. Cowboy action has so many variables and good choices, most of which many of us have never considered before, that it wouldn't be long before yet another 'perfect set up' was near at hand just waiting for your attention. One match I was in the same posse with black powder cartridge, metallic cases, and even a couple cap-n-ball shooters who had figured how to keep loaded up & shooting competitive with everybody else.
You'll see vintage Spencers, Henrys, early and vintage of all makes, and learn how to run a double barrel coach gun faster (AND safer) than you ever thought possible. I took a liking to a 3" shoulder holster and a 7 1/2" cross draw. As demanding as those extremes are, somehow I shot my first 'clean' no miss match with them.
My first half-dozen matches I had only 1 SA revolver. Plenty of offers for match loaners were at hand. Somehow I bought a different caliber for my "pair" of revolvers. One 45 Colt, 1 44 Special. Awkward choice only when a novice cowboy caliber reloader. But you catch on.

Be sure you figure out your own cowboy handle and register for your matches as such, before someone else gives you something else that sticks.
Cowboy action matches are the most fun you can have with your clothes on (and there's many variations of THOSE as well).

My first lever carbine was a used Rossie 92 in 45 Colt. Indestructible, accurate enough, reliable. Handled like steering a ponderous agricultural implement. After a decade of heavy use someone talked me out of it.
So don't worry too much about the details. You'll probably like Cowboy Action enough it won't be long before you want to try out a different outfit. Good luck.

What arms do I currently use for SASS?

2 - Stainless Steel Ruger Vaquero revolvers, 5.5" bbl, in .38 special/.357 mag
SAA-357-Mag-002.jpg

1 - 1894 Marlin Carbine, .38 special/.357 mag
Cowboy-Long-Guns-001.jpg

1 - 1897 Winchester Pump action, 12 gauge, 20" bbl (cut down)
Cowboy-Long-Guns-006.jpg

I reload my own .38 special for both of the revolvers and rifle. KISS (caliber wise) and I want to get back on target faster, so the loads are light. As for the 12 gauge. Any cheap/promo brand #8 or #7.5 shot is GTG for me.

Aloha, Mark

albany gun club puts on sass matches twice a month I think it is, contact them and go watch a match. doing thatg is THE number one thing to do,so u can see we dress plain to fancy, use mostly 1873 Uberti's but a cheaper rfossi 92 will work for entry level. Shotguns the 1897 pump rules the roost but a double barrel is still viable as lng as it has extractors, not ejectors that kick the hulls out...Stoeger is the go-to but there are some better made ,for more money.
repeat, go see a match,Albany has a locked gate so get ahold of someone involved with the Old West Shooting Society . Man it's a ton o fun !!

I was out there a couple weeks ago shooting in an adjoining bay and that is what peaked my intrest. Sat and watched for a couple hours asked a few questions but didn't get a ton of information on firearms or what was acceptable. I have two safes full of everything from 22 to 375 H&H but am certainly lacking knowledge, the correct "cowboy" firearms and accompanied hardware. As I said above I am not planning to reload in the foreseeable future so trying to find a happy medium for cost/availability of ammo and firearm selection untill I decided if this is indeed for me.

I was out there a couple weeks ago shooting in an adjoining bay and that is what peaked my intrest. Sat and watched for a couple hours asked a few questions but didn't get a ton of information on firearms or what was acceptable. I have two safes full of everything from 22 to 375 H&H but am certainly lacking knowledge, the correct "cowboy" firearms and accompanied hardware. As I said above I am not planning to reload in the foreseeable future so trying to find a happy medium for cost/availability of ammo and firearm selection untill I decided if this is indeed for me.
the SASS shooter's hand book at sassnet.com will answer a ton of questions, as to calbier .38' rule the roost these days, less recoil =staying on target for better score times. Lead bullets or coated lead.
Next match is the 18th,Holy Rider is match director, get there early say 9 ish, tell him Throckmorton sent ya, he's a great Pard .Visitors always welcome have good ears and eyes along, no charge to watch.
reading the handbook is very very informative.

Since the link was provided about "OOWSS".
I can say without a doubt that PaleWolf Burnelle is one awesome Territorial Governor. I use to often read his posts at the SASS Wire Forum. He's a wealth of information. His email is right there on the OOWSS site.

I don't travel to "away matches". But yes......some people do. And, they usually have a lot of fun while shooting at the various clubs around the country. That's how I met PaleWolf for the first time. He showed up at the club where I do my SASS shooting.

Aloha, Mark

PS......Aloha! "Throckmorton".

Last Edited:
Well I am a bit closer to entering the fold. I was able to find a decent 1897 a bit ago and had it cut down. Last weekend I got my two pistols. I got these https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-p-4-3-4-357-magnum-4-3-4-in.html. Now I am on the hunt for the rest of my kit. Any leads/ideas on a holster maker? Would prefer local if at all possible instead of something off ETSY or the like but it is not that critical. As my first rig should I get a weak side cross draw or two standards? Where to go for reasonable clothing? Getting pretty excited!

Go again and do more talking. I have not shot this style for many years, but when I did before I bought stuff everyone was happy to let me try theirs.

for leather,a fellla that shoots at Albany sells all kinds of gear. alias is slick elic mackenzie (sp) I'm inclduing a scrn shot of his contact info, that shooter's list is on the OOWSS web site.
1670369699665.png

Hummm.....clothing?

Keep your "CB character" in mind when dressing.

My first outfits (boots, pants, shirts, suspenders, etc..).....were off of various websites advertised in the SASS monthly chronical. LOL. My hat was from a western style store that I found while visiting Las Vegas.

If you want to try a DIY project at making your own "Western Style Suspender Pants" try this advice (my post from an old SASS Forum thread......

Lookin' for CB pants on the cheap (inexpensive)? There ain't no "clothing police." If it looks CB, it's good. Though, some things, "just ain't right." So, please look at the rule book.

That being said……how about this DIY project.

I bought NEW black jeans......little less than $10. You might want to find "button fly" black jeans (though, might cost a little more). Your mileage will vary.

Bought 2 packs (4 to a pack) of No-Sew Dungree Buttons at Wal Mart.......about $4.00

Only six buttons were used in the project. So, call it $16 for the project.

1) Got home and removed all the belt loops.
2) Next.....fold the pants so, you'll see the full front, and when flipped over, the full back.
3) On the back side of the pants using the center line, measure about 1-3/4 inches to the left and right of the center line. Then, about half way down the waist band, insert your tacks (from the inside, points will be on the outside), left and right. IF it looks too wide or not wide enough.......adjust it. When it looks correct, put the button tops on the tack points......it's self locking. Now, it won't come off (unless you break it).
4) Next, flip the pants to work on the front side.
5) On the front side of the pants, look at the pants and note on the waist band about 1/3 of the way from the left edge and 1/3 of the way from the right edge. Use white chalk to mark the positions. This will be the "1/3 center line" for the next pairs of tacks. Measure 1-3/4 inches left and right of your 1/3 center lines (remember, half way down the band), insert the tacks. Does that look good? IF not, adjust it. IF so, put the button tops on the tacks.

Remove the white chalk lines and you're done (unless, you want to remove the back pockets). Decide now, cause once your jeans fades in color, it won't look right.

Now, go find some button style braces (suspenders).

IHMO......forget about the newer clip style of braces.
1670385145120.png
They are just not my style.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
If you are not going to reload 38 spl is by far the cheapest and easiest to get.
I started with Uberti copy's and a Big 5 Marlin in 45 colt. If I had it to do again, I would have started with Ruger's . They are just longer lasting.
Good Luck, it's an addicting sport! DR

Well I have little by little got some reloading stuff together but I really am spread thin time wise. My lever is in 44mag so a 357/38 lever really needs to enter the fold if I am going to reload. I do reload for some rifle but not any pistol and it is all on a single stage.

I've shot Cowboy action twice with a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt and one in 32 H&R. My lever gun was a M-92 Rossi in 44-40 and someone let me borrow their Stoger 20ga Coach gun. Fun times but after the second time they did ask that I dress a little closer to the game. No baseball hats, cordura holsters or combat boots.

If I may suggest.......

For me.......38 special has been my choice for a rifle (1894 Marlin Carbine) and both of my pistols (Ruger new model Vaqueros). The 1897 Winchester pump in 12 gauge is my choice for a shotgun. Cheap promo 12 gauge ammo (probably cheaper than reloading) use to be found at Bi-Mart. Stock up when you can. Yeah.....that's how it is nowadays.

On average, at the club that I shoot with (Wolverton Mountain Peacekeepers).....I'll usually expend about 3 boxes of .38 special and one box of 12 gauge. Though that count could go higher or lower depending on the match scenario and "other circumstances". LOL.

Yes......reloading will help greatly with the budget. It was the biggest reason for me to choose the .38 special cartridge over the larger calibers.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......when you get to one of those CB matches......ask around. Oftentimes, someone will probably have some CB guns that they might want to sell. And/or they could also give you their recommendations on CB products and suppliers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads