JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So heres my problem.... I REALLLLLY REALLLLLY REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want a 1911 style subcompact. Iv found that I really like the caliber of .40 and thats what my hand guns are ( G27 and Sig P239) but the problem is the only .40 1911 i can seem to find is the EMP .40 which is around 1000, and I DONT want to spend that much $$$.. So I have been looking At RIA (Rock Island Armory) online and they have 3.5" .45's for about 450, but im just not sure if going to another caliber is worth it just cause i love the looks of a gun.... :confused::confused::confused: I do have a Smith n Wesson CS .40 on layaway, and i found it for 400 the only reason i havent bought it is cause im not sure if i REALLY want it or will like it.. it seems to be quite large in the grip...

loving the looks of a gun is a valid reason to buy, if you understand the nature of the beast you are buying. officer size 1911s are a bit finicky about ammo, less reliable than their full and midsize brethren, and more maintenance intensive. the ruduced mass of the slide increases its velocity, and the slide travels less distance, wich makes the recoil spring heavier and wear out more often. frame battering can become an issue. recoil is increased too. magazine rpring replacement intervals become imperitive, they only have so much time to push the next round up into the path of the breach face. the length of the barrell necessitates the use of a bull barrel and reverse cut recoil plug, wich often require tools to dissasemble.

but that is not really a reason not to buy one as long as you know what your getting into.

as far as 40 vs. 45. are you really never going to own any other caliber other than 40? at no point down the road are you going to buy a 32? 9mm? 38, 357, 10mm, 44, 45, 48, or 50? why the aversion to all but 40? get the 45 if you want it.

let me ask you this though. if you have a g27 and a p239, it sounds like you have your carry guns sorrted out and have no need of another. would the mini 1911 be another carry gun or would it be relegated to range toy? if its a carry gun i would think long and hard about the above mentioned attributes. or get the emp and spend the bucks. how much is your life worth? if its a range gun, then why get the mini? why not get a full or mid size in 40 or 45 that is easier to maintain and not quite so intemperate? easier to shoot and more accurate?

as far as the cs40 is concerned, if it doesn't feel right, it won't be. the 3rd gen smiths are some great guns, if you like the feel of it.

What's a S&W CS? I love my 1911 but it is a range toy. I seriously considered an EMP but upon further consideration decided a DAO like my PM40 , XD40, or your G27 are a better choice for CC. I think every collection should include a 1911 and .45 ACP is what the 1911 was designed to shot. For the price range you are talking about I would look at a used gun like the STI Spartan that was on this forum a couple weeks ago.

as far as 40 vs. 45. are you really never going to own any other caliber other than 40? at no point down the road are you going to buy a 32? 9mm? 38, 357, 10mm, 44, 45, 48, or 50? why the aversion to all but 40? get the 45 if you want it.

let me ask you this though. if you have a g27 and a p239, it sounds like you have your carry guns sorrted out and have no need of another. would the mini 1911 be another carry gun or would it be relegated to range toy? if its a carry gun i would think long and hard about the above mentioned attributes. or get the emp and spend the bucks. how much is your life worth? if its a range gun, then why get the mini? why not get a full or mid size in 40 or 45 that is easier to maintain and not quite so intemperate? easier to shoot and more accurate?

as far as the cs40 is concerned, if it doesn't feel right, it won't be. the 3rd gen smiths are some great guns, if you like the feel of it.

i honestly just dont like full size guns... imo i like to have a gun i can carry with me anytime,and conceal if needed... some may think its stupid but thats me lol....

As for am i really going to stick with .40? i would really like to.. I just think its easier to buy one kind of ammo and stick with that... Why have 2-5 different calibers? if i have one caliber i dont have to worry about leaving a gun at home because i dont have ammo for it..

in that case, there are some other options beside the emp.

sti makes a mini in 40. fusion can make you a mini in 40. none are gonna be cheap. good guns arn't though.

fwiw, i like as wide a variety as possible. that way no matter what ammo i find i know i've got a gun to fire it with.

Every one should have a 1911 once in their life. The little 3" is touchy about ammo and harder to shoot than the 4.25" or 5". Having guns in only one caliber has its advantages but it sounds like you have 40 pretty well covered and one 45 ACP should not be too much trouble. You may find that you like shooting the 45 better. I like shooting and reloading for a number of different calibers, but we are all different. If you want a 1911 in 40, then you will probably not be happy with something else, so just bight the bullet and get what you want. JMHO

Full size 45 is still the choice of many leos, with a little mild work it can be made to feed empty cases, so reliability is not an issue. Probably the most "smithed" gun on the planet. Truly a one size fits all platform. I have had a few and loved them all, my best shooter was a springfield that shot perfect out of the box, a parkerized plain jane I bought in '97 and gave to my dad. That being said I grew tired and hunted for the most reliable 45 double action all steel pistol I could find, the S&W 4506 was just too much to handle the ergonomics were wrong for me, then I hit on the 45 witness, perfect fit! I now have 2, one fullsize and one compact, they function flawlessly, I am hitting a 9" circle at 100 feet, one handed standing. good enough for me.

.45s are easy to reload, easy to pick up and sort from other cases, and feed much easier than longer rounds. Also for those on the the business end of a 45....That barrel opening looks imposing and almost shotgun like. I carry a Para-Ord LDA cause I like 1911s. Full size I like as target/IPCS usage. Got an old blue Para-Ord 14-45 Limited that's incredibly accurate and I will never part with it.

You have to have a 45 sometime in your life.

Get one of those Rock Islands and have a ball, trust me,I have Sigs, Smiths, Rugers, Colts and the Rock Island is a bargain, lot of fun, good gun, fantastic warranty, well made. You can't go wrong andthe price is right. Bill

GlockGuy,

If you are getting a gun based on its looks then get the 1911 you want and be happy with it. Personally as your handle says "GlockGuy", I agree stick with what you know.

Other then my S&W .357 model 27 revolver (bought for nostalgia reasons, and fun to shoot) and my Ruger .380 LCP (my pocket pistol), all my other handguns are and have been Glocks. You develop a feel for a brand and style of weapon and that works to your advantage in the long run. My favorite cannon is my Glock Model 30 .45ACP. Has a great feel to it and is accurate beyond belief for a large caliber handgun. I have .40 cal., 9 mm, and 10mm Glocks also. The .45 ACP is my favorite to shoot by far.

I have never owned a 1911 but I have several friends that do and they swear by them but in the next breath they say what a pain in the you know what they are to maintain after use. I can put 500 rounds down any of my Glocks and do ZERO maintenance/cleaning and they fire as if they had just been cleaned, no jams or misfeeds on any of them.

The only Glock .45 I did not like was the Model 36 I believe it is, the smallest one they make. Too small for my large hands. Good luck to you with your decision.

1911 = .45, there are plenty of 40 cal to be had why buy a 1911 in 40 cal? Also you must think of resale, the people looking for a 1911 will definitely turn their nose up to a 40 cal 1911. I'm not a 40 cal hater I have an XD40, a P229 40, a Beretta 96d 40, and a Sig Mauser 40 also I have a 1911 in .45. I personal wouldn't even consider a 1911 in 40 cal.

When I shoot a 1911 I want to know there is a bullet the size of a beer can flying at my target!

So, If you are serious about a .45, split the difference. I'm not wild about full size so the 'Commander' .45 is my favorite, for handling, accuracy and can be concealed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top