JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
hands down, not so common ammo will never be a commodity in SHTF times. The 3030 is very popular though and does fit many roles and many fudds who are against AR15s welcome the old lever action assault rifle (hypocritically....).

Speaking of common ammo... the past month at Sportsmans the self defense pistol shelf has been virtually barren of 9mm and 45acp but there has always been some 40S&W hollowpoints to buy. There is some of that tacticool streaker ammo nobody is buying too.
With the onslaught of recent police trade in 40sw that were for sale right before Covid, I'd say 40sw got a little wind in its sails recently.

I just missed a good deal on some .40 PDX/SXT yesterday because I had to leave to sell some 7.62x51 and I didn't get back online when I got home. By the time I was ready to buy it, it was all gone. That's ok, I have more than I need.

At this point I have a few gaps in my inventory that I will fill in when there is a good price on it, but nothing really important. E.G. I don't think I will need a whole lot of .45 LC or .44 mag

I know there are a few 30-30's banging around the place.
A couple good ones!
Only 67 years apart! 1899 & 1966.
W.jpg

Last Edited:
During the last fake/real shortages, 30-30 FACTORY LOADED ammunition and almost ALL RELOADING stock including reloading bullets, 30 Caliber, etc., were short out here in MT.

Round nose, flat nose, etc.

Stuff for 30-30. Stuff for 30-06 too. NOT just the .308 ammo.

^^^ FACTORY AMMO and various bullet TYPES in reloading stock.

Many other hunting and other calibers (Factory ammo.) where short when it came to rifles.

IT was on the local MT stations and across this nation. Some men could NOT believe that there was a SHORTAGE on some things. Hunting season came and they were dumb struck and OUT of luck.

ONE MAN WARNED A BUNCH OF GUN GUYS. They thought that he was nuts!

ONE MAN reloaded for his brother and a friend or they would NOT have gone shooting/hunting. HE WAS OUT OF BOZEMAN, MT!

That story was ALL OVER OUR NEWS!

The same thing happened with some shotgun gauges and specific loads.

We found some specific 20 gauge factory loaded shotgun shells in this town FINALLY for a friend close on the MT/ID border during that time frame. When he came to our town, he picked them up from us.

Cate

Last Edited:
During the last fake/real shortages, 30-30 FACTORY LOADED ammunition and almost ALL RELOADING stock including reloading bullets, 30 Caliber, etc., were short out here in MT.

yes, I remember the last ammo crunch hunting ammo was in short supply too. Whats interesting about this one, and specific to my local gun store is their shelf right now it literally FULL of 30-06, 308, 7mm mag, 6.5 Creed and many other popular hunting calibers but the 3030 shelf has been empty for almost a month now.
My observation is that among hunting ammo, the 3030 has a nich following for some reason, my only guess is it serves a dual purpose as a self defense round.

Im searching on gunbot currently but no luck but ammoseek is next. Hoping for a direct link to the Hornandy but a close second is ammo from Federal. I found some Federal ammo but I know my rifle holds a good group with that Hornandy load (what I last zeroed with) so Im hoping to not have to change zeros.
I've seen this in the past.
During the spring and summer months, .30-30 is almost non-existant, and then a couple of weeks before deer huntin' season starts up, there's cases of boxes sitting around the counter, and a nice sale usually starts up (I can remember them going for $2.99 a box just before hunting season, and $8 all the rest of the year).
So don't fret, .30-30's are like swallows....they always come back.

Dean
P.S....but hey, if you can't wait, order a box or 17 from your favourite local retailer.

I never thought I would see the day when 3030 ammo would be crunched. I can find well stocked hunting ammo at Sportsmans in many common popular calibers but for weeks now the 3030 shelf has been empty. For some reason 3030 ammo is on the same level as pistol ammo during this crunch.

Can anyone help me find a web link selling Hornandy Leverrevolution 160g FTX 3030 ammo?
I've seen this in the past.
During the spring and summer months, .30-30 is almost non-existant, and then a couple of weeks before deer huntin' season starts up, there's cases of boxes sitting around the counter, and a nice sale usually starts up (I can remember them going for $2.99 a box just before hunting season, and $8 all the rest of the year).
So don't fret, .30-30's are like swallows....they always come back.

Dean
P.S....but hey, if you can't wait, order a box or 17 from your favourite local retailer.

Not terribly surprised 30-30 is affected, for two possible reasons: 1) Lever actions are probably seen as "the next best choice" for a rifle if one can't get a semi-auto so I gotta figure a lot of first time buyers were/are getting into them. 2) Some first buyers that CAN find semi-autos might wet the bed at the thought of an AR in the home, and so might be drawn to lever actions as they're less scary and thus more approachable.

Watch the links CAREFULLLY.
Site says "in stock", but when you get to the ad, it often says "out of stock".

Interesting - -when I posted that last night I didn't look at all the ads, but I hit a few on the first page and a few on the last and all were in stock. Anyway, no tool is perfect but that one does do a reasonable job of finding stuff.

Sorry awshoot, no offense meant.
I just noticed that all the hits at the website said the ammo was "in stock", but when I clicked on the link, the ad would say "out of stock".
Those ads may have changed by now.

Dean

Sorry awshoot, no offense meant.
I just noticed that all the hits at the website said the ammo was "in stock", but when I clicked on the link, the ad would say "out of stock".
Those ads may have changed by now.

Dean

I didn't take offense -- just responding. I don't own the site or get a commission. ;-) It's all good.

I figure most aggregators are going to have some errors.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top