JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I never thought I would see the day when 3030 ammo would be crunched. I can find well stocked hunting ammo at Sportsmans in many common popular calibers but for weeks now the 3030 shelf has been empty. For some reason 3030 ammo is on the same level as pistol ammo during this crunch.

Can anyone help me find a web link selling Hornandy Leverrevolution 160g FTX 3030 ammo?

ammoseek.com
Im searching on gunbot currently but no luck but ammoseek is next. Hoping for a direct link to the Hornandy but a close second is ammo from Federal. I found some Federal ammo but I know my rifle holds a good group with that Hornandy load (what I last zeroed with) so Im hoping to not have to change zeros.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed.
Looks like targetsportsusa is out also.

Maybe granpappy's ol' Winchester got a second look when things got hairy and munitions were becoming scarce. 'Corse the 30 WCF is still the reigning champ of deer guns hence the normal availability of said cartridge.

ammoseek.com

Heretic for the win. I couldn't find any on gunbot, but found only 3 suppliers on ammoseek. Ammoseeks search tool is more efficient. Now I just hope that the random internet store I just bought from is legit.

The interesting thing here is how good ol 3030 ammo is so scarce, when other popular hunting ammo is not. Why is that?

I never knew that the classic lever action tube magazine .30-30 MUST have round nose ammo. Learned it in hunter safety when my boy was like 11 and we did it together. MUST have round nose ammo. Just putting that out in case anyone is like I use to be.

Ammoseek doesn't always cover every ammo supplier - just the common one.

One of my favorite, Recoil Gunworks, which has good prices on specific ammo it sells (common self- defense ammo) - maybe a couple dozen specific cartridges - never shows up on ammoseek.com

I never knew that the classic lever action tube magazine .30-30 MUST have round nose ammo. Learned it in hunter safety when my boy was like 11 and we did it together. MUST have round nose ammo. Just putting that out in case anyone is like I use to be.
kaboom?

Hornady changed the old rule book with their new and improved LeVERevlolution ammo.
Notice the soft rubber tip.

1590888260281.png

Last Edited:
I bought a case of Federal Fusion 30-30 a couple years ago, when it was on sale, then I have some odds and ends from picking some up here and there. I didn't even have a .30-30 rifle most of the time. About 7 years ago I did pickup a nice youth model Marlin in .30-30 with a scout scope mount on it - so now I have one. Before I had a few Winchesters off and on. The family heirloom model 94 went to my older brother.

Got half a box of projectiles if needed.

I'll take em if your offering. If I recall were in the same area...

I've never factored hunting ammo into an ammo crunch preps. What happened here is over the winter I put a new scope on my deer rifle and need some extra boxes to sight in. It doesn't help that 3030 isn't really a precise ammo, so even a few extra rounds helps.

Theoretically. Never heard of it actually happening. I have heard of people trying to make it happen without success.

Best to not tempt fate and you won't find very much spire tipped tube mag ammo except for Hornady.
understood. heard the same.

I thought there was a good story in there.

I bought a case of Federal Fusion 30-30 a couple years ago, when it was on sale, then I have some odds and ends from picking some up here and there. I didn't even have a .30-30 rifle most of the time. About 7 years ago I did pickup a nice youth model Marlin in .30-30 with a scout scope mount on it - so now I have one. Before I had a few Winchesters off and on. The family heirloom model 94 went to my older brother.
I cant even find Federal Fusion. I stopped by Sportsmans in Hillsboro and the hunting ammo was well stocked except for this completely bare shelf labeled 3030.

My guess is 3030 still has a practical self defense application, the ol lever gun is technically the worlds first assault rifle. My guess is all the fudds are buying up the ammo for their old cowboy shooter.

I'm fairly certain, there are a lot of 30-30s out there.

So I'm not entirely surprised.

Reminds me of the book 1 second after, where the neighborhood all had 30-30s but almost a box of ammo combined.

Oh most assuredly .30-30 can fill in several roles of firearms, hunting, self-defense, and just plain fun. Also, very popular obviously.

I have some .30-30 Accelerator IIRC, and I think I have some dies too. Also (I need to check) I may have some handloads.

But I think the reason the shelves are bare is probably similar to why there was no TP for a while; everybody saw that it was leaping off the shelves so they thought to get in on it too, whether they needed it or not.

Even if I still hunted (I don't), I would have more than enough to last me the rest of my life. I have at least 260 rounds of .30-30 if I only count the ammo I put into my inventory and not the odds and ends I have elsewhere. If I only used 5 round to sight in each year, and used 5 to take a couple of deer every year, that would last me over 20 years - probably beyond my projected lifetime, and surely beyond the age where I would be able to hunt, even if it was from my porch (which I can do where I live).

Then I have .45-70 ammo, .44 mag, .30-06, .308 and 7.62x39, all of these I have bolt or lever actions for in case my mil-spec rifles get lost in a tragic boating accident.

The last deer I took I shot at 10 yards or less with the family heirloom .30-30. Here where I live, I have seen deer 10 feet away from my living room and my kitchen. I see them all the time in my driveway and backyard. I don't really need a rifle, almost any one of my handguns would put down a deer at those ranges, not to mention the crossbow I have.

Once things settle, I will probably get some more .30-30 ammo just for barter. The fact that there is none on the shelves right now kind of speaks to the debate about which is better to have in a SHTF situation; common ammo, or not so common ammo.

My answer is that initially the shelves in a store or online will be the source for ammo, but once it is all gone, it will be better to have ammo that is more common because that is what most other people will have - whether they need it, or whether they have extra to sell (like me). I will more likely be able to sell 7.62x51 ammo like I did yesterday, than I would be able to sell or buy something like 6.5x47 Lapua.

Last Edited:
The fact that there is none on the shelves right now kind of speaks to the debate about which is better to have in a SHTF situation; common ammo, or not so common ammo.
hands down, not so common ammo will never be a commodity in SHTF times. The 3030 is very popular though and does fit many roles and many fudds who are against AR15s welcome the old lever action assault rifle (hypocritically....).

Speaking of common ammo... the past month at Sportsmans the self defense pistol shelf has been virtually barren of 9mm and 45acp but there has always been some 40S&W hollowpoints to buy. There is some of that tacticool streaker ammo nobody is buying too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top