JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I like the idea.

You can see this for serious students. Those who go to party need not apply.
" "Something like this could have never been done before — mainly because the separation of a college experience from colleges was never possible. They held the college experience for ransom, and now that they've shifted to online learning, there is an opportunity to do something like this," Bragg said. "

oh ya.... THAT'S going to work.

Fort Lauderdale can rent hotel/motel rooms too.... Spring Break can be year-round!:s0139:

and, students can hire an immigrant to do the on-line classes "that Americans don't want to do", y'know, between their picking produce and gardening jobs.

So why would the students not do this from home and avoid the expense of a hotel - besides being away from the parents and being in a place like Hawaii?

I suppose for the well heeled, it would have some appeal, but again, why not just do it on your own?

So why would the students not do this from home and avoid the expense of a hotel - besides being away from the parents and being in a place like Hawaii?

I suppose for the well heeled, it would have some appeal, but again, why not just do it on your own?
Good question, and I believe the majority of community colleges will be going to a home based online system, but there is a possibility that some Universities and Tech Institutes would need at least an excuse to charge room and board safely :rolleyes: as if dormitories aren't basically hotels without the maids... :rolleyes:

Why Hawaii - earlier adapters need an exotic location.

Why at a resort / hotel - When I was 18 I wanted/needed to be out of the house. Some of you had no choice, you were invited to our uncle's house - but I chose to go 300 miles from home. Go Owls!

Ability to study with / around those in similar classes/programs.

You could imagine Delta Tau Chi opening an apartment complex, with a diner for their members as an alternative to a resort.

I did a summer medical program that involved me and others being at a hotel for some time. It was centrally located to two universities that offered medical degrees and one hospital that had a viewing gallery for an OR.

Being in a hotel for the sake of being there seems a waste...but I can see why you'd want to be in a place where the majority of your class work can be done in room but the location still offers benefits to your education.

I haven't looked into OP's sighted program, just sharing that the concept is not entirely new and has been, at least for me, successful.

I did a summer medical program that involved me and others being at a hotel for some time. It was centrally located to two universities that offered medical degrees and one hospital that had a viewing gallery for an OR.

Being in a hotel for the sake of being there seems a waste...but I can see why you'd want to be in a place where the majority of your class work can be done in room but the location still offers benefits to your education.

I haven't looked into OP's sighted program, just sharing that the concept is not entirely new and has been, at least for me, successful.

In specific cases maybe.

Hawaii? I doubt there is anything there that is beneficial to getting a degree at Harvard

Why Hawaii - earlier adapters need an exotic location.

Why at a resort / hotel - When I was 18 I wanted/needed to be out of the house. Some of you had no choice, you were invited to our uncle's house - but I chose to go 300 miles from home. Go Owls!

Ability to study with / around those in similar classes/programs.

I left home as soon as I could, but not to go to college as I could not afford it.

I was 27 when I went to college and rooming in a rented house was a necessity due to being on the GI bill with no other income. After college I swore to never ever share housing with anybody else, and after some years in an apartment building, to never be in one of those either.

You can see this for serious students. Those who go to party need not apply.
Personally I think the college experience is overrated. going back 20 years, a buddy of mine registered in the engineering program at U of O. He had all his prerequisites out of the way at a community college, and was there to learn, not to party.

He got in contact with several other students to rent and share a big house. That lasted a week, until he realized that for most of them it was all about booze and sex. He left that arrangement and instead rented a small room from a little old lady in a retirement community. He worked his butt off, and when Intel came around a few weeks before graduation to hire the best and the brightest, he had a very good job the day he left school. He's still with Intel to this day.

Retired now, but used to hire 1-2 college interns each year. Learned right away to never, ever hire a freshman or sophomore. By the junior year all the party animals had flunked out and anyone still making good grades in the geography program was going to actually be interested in learning real world applications.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top