Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Courtney moves to limit CHL holders’ rights

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Morpheus, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

2. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Woodburn Oregon Active Member

Called and emailed this morning.

3. wabbithunter

wabbithunter PDX Member

so, did it pass??

4. VW_Factor

Why don't you call? You should. Also, they are likely going to vote on it today.

5. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Called and emailed. Like he's listening.

6. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

I tried calling and sent emails.

7. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

email I rec. from Floyd.

House Bill 4045, the CHL privacy bill, is expected to finally be scheduled in the Senate Rules Committee for a hearing at 4:00 p.m. today. Also, the Oregon Sheriff's Association announced its strong support for the amended bill, noting that they have been working for years to realize such a law and crediting Rep. Kim Thatcher and me for making it happen. While Kevin Starrett wants to give me all the credit for the amendment, Rep. Thatcher was equally instrumental in getting this compromise moved forward (as noted in the Sheriffs’ letter of support). I expect it will be on the Senate floor tomorrow, hopefully for third reading and passage.

You can read the Sheriffs’ full letter of support, here: www.oregonsheriffs.org/news/2012/CHL Privacy Law.pdf.

As noted in today’s typical OFF “alert,” Senate President Courtney introduced a new senate bill (SB 1594) today and referred it to the Senate Rules Committee. From what I understand, it is a rewrite of SB 1550 (which I stopped in the Judiciary Committee), but will include an “opt-out” provision for local schools. This provision will permit individual schools to decide if they want to allow guns on their campuses. I'm told the bill will also be heard today in Senate Rules.

Floyd

8. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Call and/or write your State Senator plus all the members of the Rules Committee, and Senate President Courtney, NOW! (Yes, I wrote a fairly stern email to Sen. Burdick, not that she'll pay it any mind..... Screw it, at this point, I very well MAY run against her in 2014...)

9. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

Called and wrote.......

For me, it's not that they're against my rights that frustrate me(I'm sure ignorance and hubris are bliss), it is the indignance and arrogance with which they choose to usurp the process by which we, the public, provide input I find intolerable.

10. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

They should add a provision for me opt out from paying taxes too, or rather, if they chose to opt out they lose financial support.
    It's disgusting that something like it is even considered in politics.

Bunny and (deleted member) like this.
  11. VW_Factor

Its really annoying to know that these law makers are intent at attacking our rights.

12. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

It passed. Hopefully, we can get it stopped. The way this bill has evolved is deplorable.

Oregon Firearms Federation

13. RW-Ore

RW-Ore Oregon Well-Known Member

Had to call Peter's number twice to get through , left a voice mail with my personal phone number and ask him to call knowing full well he won't also sent two , not one but two emails to him also.

14. Gaius

Gaius Oregon Member

Emailed today.

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

I trust people are emailing/calling their own OR Senator and Representatives as well?
    Because Peter's doesn't care about us. It will only be us influencing our own to get it voted down in the general now that will stop it.
    M

16. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

I've had some passing encounters with Jefferson Smith, the only Portland-area Representative to vote for CHL privacy, and I'll be asking him to try to educate his fellow Democrats on the issue of personal rights. (And, upon learning he is for CHL privacy, my choice in the Portland mayoral race is getting more clear.)

17. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Salem Well-Known Member

I just emailed both reps and the state senator the following: Vote NO ON SB 1594! Stop restricting our right to bear arms, and bypassing rules to get it done. This bill will not reduce crime. CHL holders are not the criminals you hope to derail, you are just ensuring law abiding citizens will not be armed if they need to be to try and stop a crime or defend the safety of themselves and others. This is absolutely shameful. A yes vote on this will equal a no vote by myself and many others the next time you are up for reelection!
    Thank you

18. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

That was brought up to Ginny Burdick on OPB radio a few weeks back... her reply was, " if someone is intent on breaking the law, they will".... WTH does THAT have to do with anything?

19. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

Often times, if it's not written by a Republican, it's 'gutted and stuffed', according to the OFF. STFU. Really, the partisan crap has got to stop.

In fact, NRA's LaPierre is the same, and that's why I freakin' hate the NRA, "RIGHT WING OR NOTHING!" SIGH.

Fail. There's a bigger universe, people.

Just celebrate that our privacy has been withheld. Crimony, people. Yeah Burdick is a Leftist tool, but honestly, some of you righties think all lefties are the same, well you are patently WRONG.

20. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

The privacy bill was changed including the method protection was offered. I don't think anyone is good or bad based just on party affiliation. What's your take on Courtney who was elected to lead the Senate?