JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
email I rec. from Floyd.

House Bill 4045, the CHL privacy bill, is expected to finally be scheduled in the Senate Rules Committee for a hearing at 4:00 p.m. today. Also, the Oregon Sheriff's Association announced its strong support for the amended bill, noting that they have been working for years to realize such a law and crediting Rep. Kim Thatcher and me for making it happen. While Kevin Starrett wants to give me all the credit for the amendment, Rep. Thatcher was equally instrumental in getting this compromise moved forward (as noted in the Sheriffs' letter of support). I expect it will be on the Senate floor tomorrow, hopefully for third reading and passage.

You can read the Sheriffs' full letter of support, here: www.oregonsheriffs.org/news/2012/CHL Privacy Law.pdf.

As noted in today's typical OFF "alert," Senate President Courtney introduced a new senate bill (SB 1594) today and referred it to the Senate Rules Committee. From what I understand, it is a rewrite of SB 1550 (which I stopped in the Judiciary Committee), but will include an "opt-out" provision for local schools. This provision will permit individual schools to decide if they want to allow guns on their campuses. I'm told the bill will also be heard today in Senate Rules.

Floyd

Call and/or write your State Senator plus all the members of the Rules Committee, and Senate President Courtney, NOW! (Yes, I wrote a fairly stern email to Sen. Burdick, not that she'll pay it any mind..... Screw it, at this point, I very well MAY run against her in 2014...)

Called and wrote.......

For me, it's not that they're against my rights that frustrate me(I'm sure ignorance and hubris are bliss), it is the indignance and arrogance with which they choose to usurp the process by which we, the public, provide input I find intolerable.

It passed. Hopefully, we can get it stopped. The way this bill has evolved is deplorable.

Oregon Firearms Federation

With barely an hour's notice, the Senate Rules Committee passed two gun bills: HB 4045, which had been Kim Thatcher's CHL privacy bill, and SB 1594, a bill by Peter Courtney and Ginny Burdick to outlaw self-defense firearms on school property.

HB 4045 was "gut and stuffed" with language that Floyd Prozanski wrote. None of the original bill was left. Whether the new bill actually extends any protections remains to be seen, but since the bill's sponsor agreed to the changes, any hope of saving the original, clean, understandable bill was gone. All members of the Rules Committee voted "yes".

Many of you may have received an email from Floyd Prozanski in which he said "While Kevin Starrett wants to give me all the credit for the amendment, Rep. Thatcher was equally instrumental in getting this compromise moved forward (as noted in the Sheriffs' letter of support)."

He included a URL for the Sheriff's letter:

<broken link removed>

It is correct that the Sheriffs' lobbyist issued a press release about the bill. However if you read it you will see that they stated "Senator Floyd Prozanski (D- South Lane and North Douglas Counties), the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has been instrumental in drafting minor changes to assist in getting the measure adopted in the Senate."

I guess the Sheriffs' lobbyist read different amendments than we did. In fact, the entire original bill was removed. Maybe they consider that a "minor change." We don't.

In any event, that bill is off to the full Senate. There will be no opportunity for Senators to vote for the clean bill. It's unfortunate that they never had the chance.

The committee did not allow the public to testify on the new version of the bill. To no one's surprise, Ginny Burdick was not even satisfied with the the "gut and stuff" and voted "no." Diane Rosenbaum voted to move the bill out of committee and reserved the right to oppose it on the floor. That's what "compromise" gets you.

SB 1594 was the last minute backstab by Peter Courtney at the request of Ginny Burdick. This bill is essentially the same as her SB 1550 which would make you a criminal if you took responsibility for protecting yourself or others on "school property." This has been one of the most shameful abuses of the process we have ever seen.

The bill was essentially recreated this morning and heard this afternoon with no opportunity for public input. And make no mistake. That was the point. The bill was passed out of committee on a party-line vote with Ginny Burdick, Dianne Rosenbaum and Lee Beyer, all Democrats, voting to make schools "criminal-safe" zones and Ted Ferrioli and Jason Atkinson voting "no." No public testimony was allowed on this bill either. None.

The bills now move to the Senate floor where it is unclear when they will be heard. It could be tomorrow or Thursday.

Please contact your State Senator and tell them in no uncertain terms NO on SB 1594. You can use the link below even if you do not know who your Senator is.

<broken link removed>

Short and sweet. "NO ON SB 1594"

We will add info to this alert on our website if necessary.

Thanks for your activism.

Had to call Peter's number twice to get through , left a voice mail with my personal phone number and ask him to call knowing full well he won't also sent two , not one but two emails to him also.

I trust people are emailing/calling their own OR Senator and Representatives as well?
Because Peter's doesn't care about us. It will only be us influencing our own to get it voted down in the general now that will stop it.
M

I've had some passing encounters with Jefferson Smith, the only Portland-area Representative to vote for CHL privacy, and I'll be asking him to try to educate his fellow Democrats on the issue of personal rights. (And, upon learning he is for CHL privacy, my choice in the Portland mayoral race is getting more clear.)

I just emailed both reps and the state senator the following: Vote NO ON SB 1594! Stop restricting our right to bear arms, and bypassing rules to get it done. This bill will not reduce crime. CHL holders are not the criminals you hope to derail, you are just ensuring law abiding citizens will not be armed if they need to be to try and stop a crime or defend the safety of themselves and others. This is absolutely shameful. A yes vote on this will equal a no vote by myself and many others the next time you are up for reelection!
Thank you

This bill will not reduce crime. CHL holders are not the criminals you hope to derail, you are just ensuring law abiding citizens will not be armed if they need to be to try and stop a crime or defend the safety of themselves and others.

That was brought up to Ginny Burdick on OPB radio a few weeks back... her reply was, " if someone is intent on breaking the law, they will".... WTH does THAT have to do with anything?

Often times, if it's not written by a Republican, it's 'gutted and stuffed', according to the OFF. STFU. Really, the partisan crap has got to stop.

In fact, NRA's LaPierre is the same, and that's why I freakin' hate the NRA, "RIGHT WING OR NOTHING!" SIGH.

Fail. There's a bigger universe, people.

Just celebrate that our privacy has been withheld. Crimony, people. Yeah Burdick is a Leftist tool, but honestly, some of you righties think all lefties are the same, well you are patently WRONG.

Often times, if it's not written by a Republican, it's 'gutted and stuffed', according to the OFF. STFU. Really, the partisan crap has got to stop.

In fact, NRA's LaPierre is the same, and that's why I freakin' hate the NRA, "RIGHT WING OR NOTHING!" SIGH.

Fail. There's a bigger universe, people.

Just celebrate that our privacy has been withheld. Crimony, people. Yeah Burdick is a Leftist tool, but honestly, some of you righties think all lefties are the same, well you are patently WRONG.

The privacy bill was changed including the method protection was offered. I don't think anyone is good or bad based just on party affiliation. What's your take on Courtney who was elected to lead the Senate?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews