JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In who's world? You mean like the alphabet telling everyone you can't buy an 80% frame or reciever without a SN and going through an FFL, but the courts said, "that's not the way it works"... so retailers are selling them.... despite not having gotten permission from the alphabet agency?

Legal is legal. Alphabet permission to follow the law... before you are allowed to follow the law... is not required.

It's that simple.
No it's not. A district court doesn't tell the ATF what to tell it's licensed manufacturers how to conduct business. In the case of all of the AK receiver manufacturing companies the ones who were selling 80% were told to stop or they would lose their manufacturing licensing so they stopped. It's either going to have to go all the way to SCOTUS like Thompson center did or the ATF isn't going to allow it. You can believe otherwise but I'm not sure the ATF cares about your belief system all that much.

Happy Independence Day!

District court Judge Reed O'Conner just granted the motion for summary judgement and VACATED the alphabets frame and receiver rule.

(clickin to embiggin)

1688173735615.png

HB2005 references that federal rule for how to serialize. Doesn't this technically mean it is referencing nothing at this point? In theory doesn't this work out better for OR's politicians as you can't even get your PMF's serialized before September 24?

HB2005 references that federal rule for how to serialize. Doesn't this technically mean it is referencing nothing at this point? In theory doesn't this work out better for OR's politicians as you can't even get your PMF's serialized before September 24?
No. The ATF didn't change their ruling because of what a district court says. They dont ever work like that.

I see so the rule is only vacated for the 5th district? We would have to file a similar lawsuit in the 9th or have the supreme court see the case for any relief.
Under the APA, vacating the rule has nationwide (universal) affect. IOW, the affect of a nationwide injunction... not limited to the 5th district.

Obviously, it's going to be appealed, but we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Under the APA, vacating the rule has nationwide (universal) affect. IOW, a nationwide injunction... not limited to the 5th district.

Obviously, it's going to be appealed, but we'll have to wait and see how that goes.
My understanding was it was nationwide too ... How can you be charged with a felony under hb2005 (if this holds) for having 2-80% receivers without serial numbers when what hb2005 references on how to do it can't be enforced?

My understanding was it was nationwide too ... How can you charge someone with a felony under hb2005 (if this holds) for having 2-80% receivers without serial numbers when what the law references how to do it can't be enforced?
Because the ruling only applied to the alphabets rule... not to individual state laws.

Serializing... I'm not versed enough to know the exact impact it may or may not have. I'm kind of thinking there are plenty of other alphabet sections pertaining to serialization. It wouldn't take much to change the citation as a correction(?) Would it even be necessary(?)

I honestly don't know how that plays. I'm fairly confident though that it won't matter to OR. If it bungles them up, they either won't care and enforce it anyway under some twisted logic, or make some kind of backdoor play to validate the requirements.

Because the ruling only applied to the alphabets rule... not to individual state laws.

Serializing... I'm not versed enough to know the exact impact it may or may not have. I'm kind of thinking there are plenty of other alphabet sections pertaining to serialization. It wouldn't take much to change the citation as a correction(?) Would it even be necessary(?)

I honestly don't know how that plays.
I get it doesn't apply to state law, but the state law says to do what the federal law says to do in terms of how to serialize and to some extent who can. PMF's before this rule didn't have a legal mechanism to be serialized by FFLs under federal law.

The rule also opened it up so 01 FFL gunsmiths/dealers could serialize, now if vacated only an 07 manufacture can serialize. Even if the state wants to enforce the past tense it can't change what FFLs are allowed to do from a Federal perspective unless I am missing something here.

I get it doesn't apply to state law, but the state law says to do what the federal law says to do in terms of how to serialize and to some extent who can.
The ATF has had a rule/reg for quite some time as to what a serial number and other markings (manufacturer, etc.) should be and how it should be applied. Also that all guns manufactured after 1968 need to follow this rule.

But this only applied to licensed manufacturers (FFL 06, 07, 10), and importers - not to private citizens who make a firearm for themselves.

The ATF has had a rule/reg for quite some time as to what a serial number and other markings (manufacturer, etc.) should be and how it should be applied. Also that all guns manufactured after 1968 need to follow this rule.

But this only applied to licensed manufacturers (FFL 06, 07, 10), and importers - not to private citizens who make a firearm for themselves.
Yes since 1968 for firearms they directly manufactured not one someone else has. The state law assumes the FFL will comply with the frame and receivers rule on how to serialize a pmf.

This voids the instructions for how to do this kind of transfer. The rule also tells ffls how to log a pmf into their books and how to transfer a pmf to another party.

Last Edited:
As an example a manufacture must serialize within 7 days making a firearm. In this case how do they accept one made previously that they can't verify the timeline on. They would be serializing it with the old rules that shows them as the manufacturer so they would have violated the law?

As an example a manufacture must serialize within 7 days making a firearm. In this case how do they accept one made previously that they can't verify the timeline on. They would be serializing it with the old rules that shows them as the manufacturer so they would have violated the law?
Rules for manufacturers are different in most states. Federally when I build a gun for my business I have to serialize within a time frame. An individual doesn't have to do that. He only has to serialize if it sells through an FFL and most FFL's want nothing to do with that unless they happen to have laser engraving onsite they can charge for. Thats the rub here . While one district court might say this is on hold for dealers the ATF controls dealers and the ATF isn't going to budge for licensed dealers nationwide. They dont act by district. Dealers risk their licenses if they process transfers without serialization. Its really a moot point for most of the country outside of Oregon as there probably haven't been more than a handful of these guns serialized by dealers as most of that stuff would go private party anyway unless its an interstate sale and those are rare for 80%. Ive done them so its not totally unheard of. . Oregon doesnt fall in the 5th district so it wouldn't apply to Oregon anyway.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads