JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a friend gave me a bunch of sized and primered brass, hand cleaned (a while ago). can i throw it in the tumbler?

i have a bunch of steel case 45acp that im taking the bullets out of cause they were inconsistent. can i load the unfired steel cases? btw im pulling the bullets with a momentum hammer style puller.

thanks

I wouldent put primed brass in the tumbler, dust could clog the flash holes. And I guess you could reload the steeL cases but getting the bullets in them might scrape the jacket off if you don't bell them and that might become an issue

I had read in one of the gun/hunting magazines I look at, and they showed that steel cases could be reloaded.I have not seen any with a boxer primer style hole in the center but they had found some. It was harder to resize them but it didn't hurt the die. In your case you need to remove the decpping pin, but then proccess the cases just like you would brass ones. If you try this let us know how it goes.

for the price of once fired brass .45ACP cases I would never bother trying to reload steel cases.

I would also NEVER put primers in a tumbler or vibratory cleaner. The primers would be ruined and you would run the risk of having one or more being set off. If you really need to clean the brass. I would put 2 drops of WD-40 oil in the cases allow them to stand up in their heads and sit over night then punch the primers out with a pin punch and a hammer (you will need a little anvil with a hole in it like the one that Lee sells in there Lee loader sets) or use the deprimer tool in your press. Wash the brass with dish soap and HOT water placing it on a cookie sht and in the oven at 150 degrees for a couple hours to dry before lubing resizing repriming and continuing on.

hey thanks for the feedback, thats about what i expected. some of the anvils separated from the cups when i pushed the primers out. is there a way to put them back together without setting off the primer?

btw the steel cases are boxer primed

I had read in one of the gun/hunting magazines I look at, and they showed that steel cases could be reloaded.I have not seen any with a boxer primer style hole in the center but they had found some. It was harder to resize them but it didn't hurt the die. In your case you need to remove the decpping pin, but then proccess the cases just like you would brass ones. If you try this let us know how it goes.

Sellier & Bellot sold a ton of steel cased pistol ammo with boxer primers in this country. When loading on a progressive you can tell instantly when you encounter one. All of a sudden the pressure needed to resize the case is 2-3 times what it takes for the brass cases. I finally took to using a huge magnet to "sort" my brass before putting it in the case feeder. It CAN be reloaded but it's a pain all around. Reloaded cases split far sooner than the brass cases so it's not worth it.

hey thanks for the feedback, thats about what i expected. some of the anvils separated from the cups when i pushed the primers out. is there a way to put them back together without setting off the primer?

btw the steel cases are boxer primed

WHAT? throw the primers away. If you have punched them out they are JUNK do not reuse a primer that has been removed from a case for any possible reason.

Don't put primers in a tumbler (loaded, loose, or otherwise).
Don't reassemble primers that have fallen apart. It isn't safe, nor reliable, and they are cheap.
Don't reload steel cases. They aren't meant to 'flex' (size up or down). If you are lucky, some will fire, some won't. It isn't good for your dies.

Buy any decent reloading manual. Read the introduction. These topics are covered.

Nate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads