JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
don't forget we're talking about 7.62x39 here.

This is the post I was referring to;

Shoot all the wolf you want, it is dirty, so be prepared to clean a little more often, but it will not "wear out your gun"......besides, the only brass cased out there besides Winchester and maybe S&B is gonna be Yugo surplus, which is corrosive....not something I'd subject a non-chrome lined AR to....

Which is about ARs, unless I missed something and he was talking about a x39 AR.

Here is post #7
7.62x39 AR with 1:10 twist/

Oh thanks stitch, I totally missed that they were talking about x39 ARs running wolf after that.

Either way, I've run wolf in pretty much all of my guns, its dirty and inconstant, but I've never had any problems. Recently wolf prices have gone up quite a bit, so it seems worth it to spring for the brass stuff.

Oh thanks stitch, I totally missed that they were talking about x39 ARs running wolf after that.

Either way, I've run wolf in pretty much all of my guns, its dirty and inconstant, but I've never had any problems. Recently wolf prices have gone up quite a bit, so it seems worth it to spring for the brass stuff.

Which goes back to the hunt for brass cased 7.62x39 for running in an AR equipped for that caliber. Can you post a list of brass cased mfr's of 7.62x39 if you have one close at hand? :s0155:

My reason for asking is I'm contemplating a similar build.

Which goes back to the hunt for brass cased 7.62x39 for running in an AR equipped for that caliber. Can you post a list of brass cased mfr's of 7.62x39 if you have one close at hand? :s0155:

My reason for asking is I'm contemplating a similar build.

Remington
Winchester
Federal
Surplus (romanian stuff should be non-corrosive)
Hot Shot
Fiocchi
American Eagle

Ive been looking for brass cased ammo and it does seem to be more expensive than the metal stuff. About the cheapest Ive found so far (as well as the metal cased stuff) is from cabelas. I have also seen the "brass coated" ammo in my 7.62x39mm size. What do you guys think of that? Would it be good to run in my new AR?

Remington
Winchester
Federal
Surplus (romanian stuff should be non-corrosive)
Hot Shot
Fiocchi
American Eagle

Ah ha....I see where you went before....ya, I was talking x39.

The only brass cased surplus I can remember is Yugoslavian, Romanian is green "laquer", and correct me if I'm wrong, but the "hot shot" is just commercially packaged Romanian. There is old chinese copper washed stuff that turns up from time to time....

Hmm...looks like a google project for me....

I was talking about the golden bear 7.62x39mm brass plated steel case ammo. Was wondering if that was good as well as any other brass plated steel case ammo for the AR's? Also, are all the magazines for the AR the same?

Yeah the brass cased stuff is going to be more expensive than the steel stuff. But if the AR platform (regardless of caliber) generally "prefers" brass cased ammo then I'd be more inclined to use it.

I'll spend a little more on ammo if I can reload the brass (look for brass specifically labelled as "reloadable" or at the least make sure it's boxer primed).

The metal stuff is not reloadable.

Mags will be a bit tougher for you in the x39 AR (availability and cost as compared to AR or Ak mags) but it "should" shoot circles around an AK group size wise. Post your accuracy results when you shoot it.

The place I ordered the AR from said something about the 5.56 30 round mag will hold 25 of the 7.62x39. But I cant remember if he said that they have to modify the mags or not. When I pick it up Ill ask again. Could someone explain too me what the grain size in ammo means? Thanks.

The place I ordered the AR from said something about the 5.56 30 round mag will hold 25 of the 7.62x39. But I cant remember if he said that they have to modify the mags or not. When I pick it up Ill ask again. Could someone explain too me what the grain size in ammo means? Thanks.

Grain is a unit of weight, so it is the weight of the bullet (the projectile) in grains, good idea for conversion is that 1 pound = 7000 grains

Do yourself a favor and pick up some C-products 7.62x39 mags... from what I've heard some 7.62x39 uppers can have issues and supposedly it's mostly mag related... apparently the Cproducts mags are GTG, dunno about other 7.62x39 mags...

Oh, by the way guys, M4s have 14.5" barrels... 16"ers =/= true M4 clones ;)

Do post on how the upper performs for you, I'm curious...

So far I have mags by 3 mfgrs. Colt, Plastic, and CProducts (Steel) Both the Colt and the Plastic Mags are tight in the mag well.:( If you "Tap" seat the plastic ones you have to pry them out.:s0131: The ones by CProd work great and drop out when you push the mag release.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top