JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need to order a new set of dies for my Grendel build, the Redding set I've decided on includes a micrometer bullet seating die (I'm building a bolt action, not an AR). I've noticed that Redding sells different stems in various calibers for the VLD style bullets. Seems like most of the 6.5 bullets are pretty long anyway, so it seems reasonable that the VLD profile would be standard, but was just wondering if anyone had any direct experience. I also don't see a VLD stem offered specifically for the Grendel, although there are a couple of other 6.5's.

Next, I've converted my Rock Chucker press to use the Hornady LnL bushings, I really like the quick change convenience, and for the most part, I haven't had any major issues. Yes, they need to be snugged down occasionally, I had one pop out once before I realized it was a possible issue. To date, I haven't really tried to load precision ammo with the LnL bushings, but will be doing so with the Grendel. As there is some built in flex with these, am I asking for issues with ammo consistency? In other words, would I be better off switching back to a solidly threaded die installation? Thanks.

Dave

I don't think any precision hand loader worth his salt would introduce another variable in the name of convenience.

Might work just fine, but I think you could loose a degree of consistency with the LNL bushings.

Bushings make no difference. As long as they are the same when the press hits top of stroke.

I have a lee bushing single stage, my cousin converted a Rock Chucker to Hornady LNL bushings and his loading is damn near perfect enough to hit milk jugs at 800y with a 28 Nosler.

The tool operating the press is more important than the press. I can take my Lee hand loader and make just as consistent ammo as the next high end press.

Edited to add:
You measure off the ogive anyway right? So you'd know if a COAL wasn't to spec.

Last Edited:
Bushings make no difference. As long as they are the same when the press hits top of stroke.

I have a lee bushing single stage, my cousin converted a Rock Chucker to Hornady LNL bushings and his loading is damn near perfect enough to hit milk kings at 800y with a 28 Nosler.

The tool operating the press is more important than the press. I can take my Lee hand loader and make just as consistent ammo as the next high end press.

Edited to add:
You measure off the ogive anyway right? So you'd know if a COAL wasn't to spec.
What is a milk King? Is it bigger than a queen or jester?
:D

I converted my Rock Chucker and have had no issues what so ever with any part of it!:)
I understand your question with the bushing, but its not an issue as long as its tight, and you WILL feel it if it isnt!
Im a fan of the Redding dies any way, so you made a good choice:D

I use the LNL bushings with my single stage, really speeds up the die changes. I notice no issues with accuracy. Some even seem to say that it might reduce your runout, since if the die can float it will be self centering. I dont know about that but they certainly do no harm.

Bag that and get LE Wilson dies and an arbor press
After watching the Short Range BR guys I ran out and got a LE seater and arbor press but after a few hundred rounds, I went back to using my standard setup with the LNL bushings, since I found no advantage. I will note that I did not have a "force pack" setup on my arbor so maybe I wasn't getting all the benefits.

Last Edited:
Okay, not getting a Co-Ax or an arbor press anytime soon :eek:, but thanks for all the info, guys, you've put my mind at ease on the LnL use. Got dies and associated stuff in my cart at Midway, just need to hit the check-out button. Was kind of hoping to shoot it first, in case that "triggered" needing something else, but the dies are on sale right now, so I don't want to wait too long. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads