JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I recently acquired a Ruger 77/44 in .44 Magnum to replace a Destroyer carbine in 9㎜ Largo that didn't work out. So far I have found I like it very much as a light-handling, hard-hitting carbine. Once approved, I'll be adding a silencer to said. Anywho, two questions:

#1. I'm thinking a ghost ring sight would be neat-o. Ruger's Scout line has something like that that attaches on the scope mount like here:

mount.jpg

Anyone have recommendations for such a sight?

#2 The last time I was out I had, out of about 60 rounds fired, three stuck in the chamber and had to be plucked out. The ammo was el Cheapo 240-grain Lax. Normally I am really bad about cleaning guns these days, but this one actually had a thorough cleaning and lubrication the last time I took it out, so I don't suspect funkiness, though the sticking did happen towards the end of the shooting session. It was no big whoop, but just curious if anyone could hazard a guess as to cause.

Thanks much. :)

Hmm, so the LAX stuff *may* not be so great? Be interested to see if you get the same performance from it in the 29 after several cylinders.

No issues whatsoever with the Lax stuff in the Model 29. It was one of three firearms I brought to the home range on Sunday. And I know I've shot a bunch of it through said revolver in the past.

OT, but I figured, what-the-heck: I noticed that IQ Munitions finally got an inventory of 10 round
magazines for the 77/44. I already have a handful of Ruger magazines but wanted to toss one
of the 10 rounders into the bag just for kicks. If you've considered one, you may want to put in
your order as the magazine maker (out of Montana, I recall) is a low volume maker. The price
is a bit steep but I'll use my covid check to cover it.

IQ Munitions - Davis is the boss, I think, and he is great to talk with on the phone...reminds me
of Tom Denall. You may need to call him if the online order balks at your address. I'm not sure
why, but it refused to accept WA and OR addresses. Davis is aware of this but is scratching his
head as to why. Once I got in touch with him by phone, he was receptive to changing my ID
ship-to address (which was accepted online) to my preferred WA address (rejected online).

I have two IQ Munition 10-round magazines.

The Good: They work without issue, at least in my 77/44. They load super easy. I haven't had to bother, but they look easy enough to take apart for cleaning. It is nice having 10-rounds of .44 Magnum on tap. (Parenthetically, I find myself tempted by a Ruger Deerfield self-loader now, but I cannot justify said due to things that have come up this year.)
The Bad: They aren't cheap. But the small amount I acquired, I didn't care.
The Ugly: The company appears to be a small and not a particularly organized bunch. They are abysmal about communication. Orders can take weeks to even ship the item and there is no indication on their site, at least when I placed orders, that they had anything in stock.

YMMV.

Slow to the thread - I don't have an iron sight recommendation but loved my 77/44 and never had a malfunction of any kind after probably 1,500 rounds.

I ran it hard, and some practice days ran it until the barrel smoked. Mostly used HPR new ammo or reloaded HPR brass with IMR 4227. I also used three stock Ruger mags in rotation. Maybe your ammo.

They use to run these with integrated suppressed in New Orleans to control the nutrias that dig into the flood control levy down there.

77/44 is an outstanding heavy hitting gun...great gun!! :)

i may have gotten lucky or they've improved then. my mag is being shipped out in less than 24 hrs and he said he was throwing in something extra as a thank you

I have two IQ Munition 10-round magazines.

The Ugly: The company appears to be a small and not a particularly organized bunch. They are abysmal about communication. Orders can take weeks to even ship the item and there is no indication on their site, at least when I placed orders, that they had anything in stock.

YMMV.

update: I received the 10-round magazine and my first thought was "holy crap...this is built like an A-10 Warthog!"
no space age plastic, or 3D printing to save weight. I guess I'll head to the range to see how it feeds/functions.

When I was ordering the mag, I considered getting the extended magazine release but after a minute, decided
it was a little too expensive for me at the momentl Guess what fell out of the box along with the magazine? :-D
they had shipped one, gratus, as a thank you for helping to identify their order form glitch...and posting of
the magazine availablity on the gun forums.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top