Couple new releases from Ruger and S&W

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by BaggerRyder, Jul 12, 2016.

1. BaggerRyder

BaggerRyder
    The Couv

Ruger finally released an SR1911 9mm and S&W released a .45 Shield.
    Been waiting for Ruger to release an SR1911 in 9mm but wanted a full size. They released a lightweight commander. Guess I will either have to wait another year for the full size or stick with the plan of buying a Springfield 1911 in 9mm.
    Not sure I care about the Shield that much but that's a great pistol to have an option in that caliber.
    Who's going to run out and get one of either?

2. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer
    SE Washington state

1. Kind of puzzling to me. Doesn't the 9mm operate at 50% higher pressure than the .45 ACP? Wouldn't a steel frame make for a more durable 9mm pistol? That would seem more Ruger like, in my opinion. I suppose the lighter weight aluminum frame would make for more comfortable carry, but can it really compete with the plastic "wonder 9's"?

3. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    Oregon

I.....dunno', an aluminum wonder nine might just row my boat! I could go for, a couple ounces heavier vs the strength of aluminum, trade off!:D

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. Pops1911

Pops1911
    Kent

Don't know if I would want a Shield in .45 and I love my .45acp rounds. 9mm is good to go in the Shield.

5. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington

Sig and Beretta have been using aluminum frames for 9mm and 45 for years. Not to mention 40 S&W and 357 SIG which are loaded to even higher pressures.

Dyjital and bmtm09 like this.
  6. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs
    South Willamette Valley Oregon

Now girls can carry a 45 too!!

swmp_45.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

Here are some announcements about it:

Smith & Wesson Announces M&P45 Shield Pistol (https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/5/20/smith-wesson-announces-mp45-shield-pistol/)

New from Smith & Wesson: M&P45 Shield - The Truth About Guns (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/05/daniel-zimmerman/new-smith-wesson-mp45-shield/)

And a video from Smith & Wesson all about the new 45 Shield for girls: