JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Considering that these wastes of oxygen and viable organs had ALREADY broken down the community's gate in an act of forcible invasion... it's a safe bet that if they don't respect an outside gate they won't respect the boundaries of your door either.

This article seems to indicate that the "protestors"/vandals were on their property.

A protester wearing a T-shirt that read, "Hands up, don't shoot," urged participants to relocate into the street in an attempt to defuse the situation.

Should you defend yourself or your home if threatened or attacked...Yes.
But...
Defend should mean many things and utilize many different tactics....
More options for you and less options , for the intruder is the idea.

Standing on your porch , close together , with no cover or concealment...is not a good option in my mind.
Did it work in this case...Yes.
With that said...
So what...
All that means is that it worked , in this particular case...it may not work out so well for someone else.
Andy

Did it work, though?

It could be just as true that property damage did not occur to their home in spite of their actions, not because of them.

Considering that these wastes of oxygen and viable organs had ALREADY broken down the community's gate in an act of forcible invasion... it's a safe bet that if they don't respect an outside gate they won't respect the boundaries of your door either.

1593468978149.png

It could be just as true that property damage did not occur to their home in spite of their actions, not because of them.

Wait... What?

Whatever works.
Pretty sure crazy lady with an itchy trigger finger did more to plant fear and trepidation in potential rioters minds than many are giving credit.

Perfect illustration of everyday civilians - trained or not - not taking it anymore.

So many children learning the definition of, "NO!" way too late in life.

Agreed - have a better plan.

Was the protest group a mob? Unknown. I don't believe that anything besides the fence at entrance was harmed.

Did these two have "castle doctrine" laws at their backs? I believe that's also an unknown. Yes, the protestors were on private property but it was the HOA's property, not these homeowners. As far as we know, no protestor stepped foot on their actual property.

Did they have the right to brandish their weapons? I don't think so but opinions on this will differ. I don't think you should be pointing a weapon at anyone unless you intend to shoot - obviously not the case here.

The group had an objective target and it was not this couple's house. Did they make themselves a target by standing in the yard armed? Would the protest have simply walked on by had they never walked outside?

Yes, you can argue that they have the right to be in their yard and armed as well. Just like I've got the right to walk downtown during the protests, armed as well. The question is, is it a wise idea? In both cases, I think not.

With the lack of training that these two show, I can't help but wonder why they thought it a good idea to go confront the protest in the first place? They had to know that their actions would be confrontational, antagonizing, and escalating...so why make that decision?

No protest is going to be walking down my section of suburbia, nor mob, riot, counter riot, et. al. But, assuming that there was, I see no reason to make my house a target by standing out front armed...especially if any sort of violence towards my house or my neighbors or the people in them has not been done.

Was the protest group a mob?

At the moment any member of a 'protest group' commits any act of vandalism, assault, etc they have now crossed the line from 'protest group ' to being a 'mob'.

From the perspective of a homeowner, it would be difficult - or impossible - to distinguish four or five do-bads from the rest of a group coming into view. Even then, someone in the group who seems to be on the side of the angels could suddenly turn around and attack or destroy the homeowner and his property.

My guess is that this couple saw the video of that other couple who was beaten by a mob. In that case, the husband was armed with a golf club. He stood no chance against the attackers. This couple was much better prepared.

The protesters - and maybe most of the left-leaning folks - seem to think it's okay to destroy property, and then look the other way when the mob attacks ordinary citizens.

Well. I'm not an attorney, but that's how it looks to me. This couple might get into hot water for brandishing their firearms, but I'm not sure many folks would have faced the mob much better than they did.

Did it work, though?

it I am reading correctly...
Seems to be missing my one of my points...
Point being is that the crowd did go away ....
Maybe be with less damage done or maybe not...

Would other actions have done just as well....Maybe...
Would their actions work again or for another home owner....again maybe....

You can what if or maybe yourself to death here.

My main points were ( and are ) :
Defense of self and home , should include many things and actions...
As well as providing you with more options than what is provided to the threat.
Standing close together on your porch , with no cover or concealment is not a good option in my mind.
Andy

Wait... What?

Whatever works.
Pretty sure crazy lady with an itchy trigger finger did more to plant fear and trepidation in potential rioters minds than many are giving credit.

Perfect illustration of everyday civilians - trained or not - not taking it anymore.

So many children learning the definition of, "NO!" way too late in life.

If you are sick with a cold and sign up to try a new drug, but wind up in the placebo group...if you get over your cold, did the drug have any effect? No, you were getting better anyway.

The homeowner's goal was, I assume, to ensure that damage did not occur to their property.

So, were their actions simply a placebo?

You're assuming causation between their actions and the goal of avoiding property damage. My point is, we could be looking at a case where they thought they had to do something because of one reason or another and overreacted to the situation. The protest group, as far as I know, did not damage any other home nor the Mayer's home (which was their target house). This would seem to indicate that they were not there to cause mayhem but were there to protest in front of the Mayer's home.

I haven't seen any evidence to support the idea that they were intent on causing harm to that property, so their actions were not needed to stave off the damage.

If you are sick with a cold and sign up to try a new drug, but wind up in the placebo group...if you get over your cold, did the drug have any effect? No, you were getting better anyway.

The homeowner's goal was, I assume, to ensure that damage did not occur to their property.

So, were their actions simply a placebo?

You're assuming causation between their actions and the goal of avoiding property damage. My point is, we could be looking at a case where they thought they had to do something because of one reason or another and overreacted to the situation. The protest group, as far as I know, did not damage any other home nor the Mayer's home (which was their target house). This would seem to indicate that they were not there to cause mayhem but were there to protest in front of the Mayer's home.

I haven't seen any evidence to support the idea that they were intent on causing harm to that property, so their actions were not needed to stave off the damage.

We view placebos in an entirely different way. I give humans more credit than they realize. I'm an ardent proponent of manifestation myself. Everyone is doing it whether they know it or not. The mechanics of 'faith' are potent. But that's an entirely different topic for another day.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Who knows what was in their minds. A mob crashed the gate and flowed in. They were fearful - and lawyers - and did what they did. And maybe... juuuust maybe... it was a combined defensive position along with a big 'ol - in your face statement... Maybe they were just saying, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH." That alone...? Fine by me. "Fire for effect" was always effective for the purpose.

Now - let's do, "Roof Koreans"!

Last Edited:
Without adding a bunch of conjecture, bias, pre-conceived notions, back-seat driving, hypothetical analysis of unknown factors, arm-chair quarterbacking, whatif-ism, shoulda/woulda/coulda scenario proposals, and of course fashion critique, my considered opinion and analysis of this is ...............................
uhhhhhh...........I like puppies?

Yer opinion may vary.

Another situation where it would have been good if there were vid cams recording everything on the outside of the house.

Yes given a large mansion I would have expected video cameras, glass breakage, motion and entry detectors, driveway detectors, automatic light at night with and alarm etc. Not saying that they don't have.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads