JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was looking around the Lane county fair website and came across this page, http://www.atthefair.com/Faq/Display/guest-services/. If you look under "Can I bring..." you will see that they say I can't bring my gun with me. Can they ban firearms from public land during a county funded event. Yes I have a CHL and almost always carry concealed anyways, I'm just curious if there is any legal weight behind this? I know they contract the games out to Funtastic ,so if they don't want firearms on the rides that's their right. Just curious?

Marion county and the State Fair had a big deal about this some years back I forget how it turned out.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/13548-concealed-carry-oregon-state-fair.html

State of Oregon Backs Down, Agrees to Admit Concealed Weapons Licensees to State Fair

You might try to find out if the fair grounds are public property or private. If Public since Lane county has no law against even open carry and Fair buildings are not on any list of prohibited places CC should be no sweat.

I'm not sweating the carrying, I've CC to many things at the fairgrounds. I did witness a guy get asked to leave a roller derby event last year when a security guard saw his grip when bending over. But that event wasn't sponsored or paid for by the county, simply a space rented from the county by a private organization so it was treated as a private property venue. As far as I could find out the grounds and buildings are owned by the county. Just one of those things I found that made me wonder if they even had a legal stance to enforce. :)

They tried that same BS at the Clark County fair in WA State a few years ago. Claimed that because the fair was run by a "private" corporation preemption didn't apply. Unfortunately for them it was pointed out that they were the "Official Clark County Fair" (agents acting for Clark County, on County owned property) AND the County Sheriff who provides security for the fair announced that his deputies would not enforce any CCW bans. That killed the ban. .

They tried that same BS at the Clark County fair in WA State a few years ago. Claimed that because the fair was run by a "private" corporation preemption didn't apply. Unfortunately for them it was pointed out that they were the "Official Clark County Fair" (agents acting for Clark County, on County owned property) AND the County Sheriff who provides security for the fair announced that his deputies would not enforce any CCW bans. That killed the ban. .

I'd like to see all good folks contact their local law enforcement through phone calls or letters to encourage them to trust and accept citizens who exercise their Constitutional and Natural Right to keep and bear arms.

The only way we're going to get the fence sitters to realize that Pro-2A folks are good for society is for them to know we are here and that we are a force for good.
Glenn Beck wrote a book called CONTROL earlier this year. I don't listen to talk radio, so I didn't have preconceived notions about GB... Thankfully.

<broken link removed> ... 1476739870

Hope it's not a spoiler, but it's a very well written and carefully backed up exposure of the fallacy that is gun control.

Amazon has it listed for $9.05 (and free shipping) and I'd be willing to chip in for a group buy for several.

It will NOT change a rabid anti into a Pro-2A person, but it will show a fence sitter the facts.

Seriously... the facts. GB takes study after study, many that are vetted carefully and were paid for by organizations that are NOT pro-2A, and the studies consistently show that efforts that make it more difficult for the average citizen to keep and bear arms result in a higher crime rate in the affected areas.

The Clark County Fair is SAFER with a good person CC'ing (and probably even safer yet with OC, except for the public paranoia.)

From what I understand... These are State laws which preempt all local laws.
Local laws do not cover CHL holders.
Pretty much you can carry where you want in Oregon as long as you have a CHL.
Except for Federal buildings, tribal and posted private property is where you can't carry.
And carrying on posted private is "tresspassing".
This info is from here Handgunlaw.us

166.370 Possession of Firearm or Dangerous Weapon in Public Building or Court Facility; Exceptions; Discharging Firearm at School.
(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.
(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.
(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building

ORS 166.173 Authority of City or County to Regulate Possession of Loaded Firearms in Public Places.
(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]

ORS 166.170 State Preemption.
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.
(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

This seems like one of those situations where if you conceal properly as if it was just another regular day and have become unnoticeable, the only person who will know is you. But if you accidently reveal, you might as well plan on going to jail, and sitting tell Monday court, even if you are correct, you get to then pay a lawyer, miss a day at work and some more later on, and may even still get convicted.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top