Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

could use help picking out a new or used rifle

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MikeLewallen, Jun 16, 2012.

1. MikeLewallen

MikeLewallen Forest Grove, Oregon, United States New Member

I could use some input on this one. I am currently looking to buy a new/used rifle for the little lady. She is 5'2" and has a short reach. Seems anything similar to my Rem 700 is too long and heavy for her. I would like to get her something she can use when black bear or dear hunting with me. Any suggestions?

2. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

If you like Remington, the 600's, 660's and 673's are great rifles. Some accuse them of being ugly, but they are short, light and wonderful in timber or brush. Lever actions in .357 or .44 magnum can pack a lot of punch with little recoil. Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for. Kip.

3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I don't know where your located as i am posting via phone but these is a nice Remington 600 for sale in the classifieds. Its 308 and short. I am nit affiliated with the seller I just happened upon it this morning.

4. MikeLewallen

Thanks for the input guys.

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WAIT a minute its not what model will fit. BUT what the rifle is fit for. Have your wife hold your rifle with the butt on the inside of her shooting side elbow. She should extend her trigger finger across the trigger guard and at the point of her last joint take that measurement.

How To: Measure YOUR Length of Pull

How to measure your LOP

Gunsmithing - Length of Pull - Making It Nearly Perfect - YouTube

this will get her close. My wife who is 5'5" uses a lenght of pull of 12 3/4" your wife being shorter depending on her arms would most likely use a shorter LOP.

you can adjust LOP with various butt plates or sometimes you have to cut the stock down.

Once the LOP is correct the rifle will balance much better. A smaller frame person will most likely be more comfortable with a lighter weight rifle.

One of the members here has a TINY girlfriend whos about 5' -5'2 and she shoots a bolt action .270 (I think its a Vanguard) but its fit to her.

My daughter (she's 32) is barely 5' and she shoots a 7.5lb Savage 30-06 that has been cut to fit her.

My wife shoots a 8lb muzzleloader with a 30" barrel in competition (all events standing) and has no trouble because the rifle is made to fit her.

6. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Take a look at a mini-mauser. I think you can get one in 7.62x39. They are small and well made for around 5 hunnert

7. MikeLewallen

thanks for all the input folks, we ended up going with a Savage Arms "Axis Youth" Model chambered in .243win She tried a few rifles off the shelf and felt best with this one.

8. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

My immediate thought was some sort of lever action carbine rifle.

9. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

A big - Large pistol. The pistol of your dreams. Come home way after dark, get lost but don't run out of gas getting home. Get the Idea?
    Just saw this is an - Old Post - Could not save him.