Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Could this happen to you?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Lance Jacobs, May 26, 2015.

1. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

This man suddenly realized over the weekend that one of his guns was not where he last put it. He started checking the rest of his gun collection, only to discover to his horror, that someone had stolen all of his best firearms from his extensive collection, guns that are worth over $30,000!

Could such a horror story happen to you? Only some of his firearms were in a safe, but even some of those are missing. He explained that he had real nice Browning shotguns inside cases that were stacked on top of his safe. And here his home is protected by an expensive burglar alarm too. How could the burglar have obtained the combination to his safe, and also his security code for his burglar alarm too??

This is really quite a mystery. Very perplexing and difficult to explain. What do you think of this story?

http://wishtv.com/2015/05/25/greenwood-man-says-30k-in-guns-stolen-from-home/

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Smaug notices when one piece a gold has been looked at.. he's no Smaug.

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

In side job as usual.
    And why wouldn't you have access to your own security videos? That's just stupid

4. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

It could happen to anyone.

I can see someone knowing the security code to get into the house (they may have looked over his shoulder), but into the safe? No. Only one or two people should know that outside of the owner, for emergencies. No one should be there when you open the safe.

I trust my daughter and SIL with all of my possession - they will get them all eventually anyway - but I don't even tell anyone else what I have, and most don't know I even have firearms.

I suspect the video will show who did it, and he is announcing that now in the hope that they will come clean before he has to have them arrested. Slim hope, the firearms are probably already gone at a fraction of what they are worth.

5. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Unlikely to happen to me, even with three gun cabinets. All of my guns together with both my cars aren't worth $30K...

Here in UK, ALL our guns have to be kept in safes.

Not having much sympathy, me, for somebody who has so many guns that he really doesn't notice when some of them are gone. :rolleyes:

tac

6. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

This will be an easy situation to resolve.

When the thief and his customer head over to the local guns store to transfer ownership via UBC.....

7. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Maybe related, maybe not... this dude doesn't seem senile - but I remember my grandmother telling me how awful it was to watch and experience my great-grandmother slip into dementia as she aged... and the worst part was her (great-grandmother) accusing her children and friends of stealing her stuff - stuff that she'd given to them and then forgotten she'd done it.

40calruler, IronMonster and tac like this.
  8. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

Yeah that is sad. My Grandmother got senile in old age and one time decided to give me a wad of cash for "missing so many of my birthdays"....She had not missed a one.
    I said no and that she had already given me plenty. She then put the money in a different drawer....Few minutes later she tried again forgetting the previous conversation. She opened the first drawer and then started screaming about how one of my cousins was there and she always did hate that kid. I pointed out what happened but the rampage about the cousin continued. The biggest thing for me is I agreed about the cousin...just knew that he had not stole THAT money. Would not have surprised me if he had taken it though.

9. Lance Jacobs

Here is an interesting point to consider:

Assuming that he has insurance and the guns are indeed long gone and he does not get them back and the insurance company pays out for the guns, who then legally owns the stolen guns at that point in time?

What if years later police recover one or more of the guns, and trace it back to him. Would he be able to get the gun or guns back from the police in that sort of scenario?

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Nope, once the insurance pays him they own them, although they might give him a chance to buy them back.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    NRA Recruiter
    Defender of Freedom Award
    Washington Arms Collector Member
    Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

11. Lance Jacobs

So do the police actually return such guns to insurance companies? What would an insurance company do with a gun?

12. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Wrong. The guns that are recovered by police will come back
    to the original owner they were stolen from. The police hace no
    idea what insurance company may have replaced what. I have
    a friend who had a handgun stolen twice. Replaced by insurance
    company twice. And recovered by the police twice!!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    mjbskwim likes this.
  13. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Generally at that point, the insurance company owns what it paid out on, whether it is a car or guns or some other stolen item. Same as when they total your car - they then own it.

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Sure the insurance company would kinda own it,if they went thru a FFL to do the transfer,lol
    But as ron was eluding to,the insurance company probably would never here of the recovery unless you notifies them.
    The police go to the last dealer the gun was sold from.That's all the got,unless it was WA and transferred after 591 went into effect.So if it was a private sale,they would go to whoever the ffl sold it to first

15. Lance Jacobs

So did the police return the handgun to him each time? Did he have to pay the insurance company before taking delivery of the gun?

I'm just trying to figure out what the police would typically do, and how much hassel a gun owner might experience in getting back a stolen gun that was insured. Would some police departments perhaps demand a release from the insurance carrier, before giving the gun back to its owner? Or would they even bother to ask if it was insured?

I'm wondering if police departments would have some discretion in handling such a matter. I did some Internet searching of Oregon's Statutes, and could not find any actual law that seems to cover this subject. Would it be considered more a civil matter?

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  16. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

I and I alone know my safe's combination. I guess they could take the safe but it would make a hell of a racket doing so.

Koda likes this.
  17. Lance Jacobs

Same with me. No one else knows either my safe combo, or the security code for my home's burglar alarm system either.

Setting up a video camera system never seem worthwhile to do to me. I want to stop the burglary in the first place. Instead I invested money in putting enhanced locks on all of my external doors, and even putting a heavy metal exterior security door on the outside of my front door. So before anyone could even deal with my front door, they would have to first overcome the metal door on the outside. Then I built a nice tall fence to deny access to the sides or backyard of my home. The only gate to my backyard has a big padlock on it.

I actually had two attempts by prowlers to get into my backyard. Just having a locked gate and a high fence, though, proved to be enough to stop them. But the incidents, which actually took place while I was at home, prompted me to eventually get a home security system.

The overwhelming majority of burglaries here where I live are done by drug addicts. They are really not that bright, and just simple measures like denying access to your backyard can often be enough to stop them.

18. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

When the gun was stolen he reported it to police as stolen with the
    serial number. The home owner's policy replaced it. A couple years
    later the police contacted him they took the firearm from a person
    after running the serial number to find out it was stolen.
    The handgun was stolen again from his pickup truck when it was broken
    into. Home owner's insurance policy replaced it and several more years
    later it was recovered by police and returned to him. This happened in
    Portland Metro area. I think it is none of the police business if it was insured
    and if it was replaced by the insurance company. How would the police know this?

mjbskwim likes this.
  19. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Why would they care?

20. Lance Jacobs

Well, others here have stated that technically the gun would no longer legally belong to you.