JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like many of us I order from That Potter & Field company occasionally but not as much as I would like and not as much as I would like to spend. I recently ordered some sundry items and to fill out the order I bought a mil surplus item. The kind that has like 3 grades to choose from at 3 different prices wher you pay more for better condition. I think I picked mid range on this to fill out the order to complete what I budgeted to spend.

Cool item to have for making own IFAK for GHB/Bob but when I pulled it out of the plastic wrap I did a double take. It sure looks like you know what. I was a bit taken aback. Hopefully the photo will show why I was surprised. I have very mixed emotions about it. What do you all think? I don't even know how these surplus items are sourced these days.

Brutus Out

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yes, it does look like blood. Actually blood someone tried to clean with bleach. Just seemed a bit odd to be selling through a big mail order store, kind of irreverent to me.
At least I know my eyes aren't playing tricks. Probably won't use it for the wife's BOB:eek:

Brutus out

Maybe I can't see it well in the picture, but it looks like its from a fine, aerosol type spray; it appears quite lite, not iron rich red. If it were blood, it's be bio-haz issue, technically. Not that it couldn't get missed, but blood contaminated gear would be discarded into bio-hazard trash normally.

Maybe I can't see it well in the picture, but it looks like its from a fine, aerosol type spray; it appears quite lite, not iron rich red. If it were blood, it's be bio-haz issue, technically. Not that it couldn't get missed, but blood contaminated gear would be discarded into bio-hazard trash normally.

My thoughts exactly re: biohazard disposal. No it's not aerosol spray pattern and depending on the nap of the fabric it is deeper color then lightens. Definitely serviceable dis colorization and all. Don't think hole is bullet hole but wear or if truly blood shrapnel tear.

I just envision the high heel lady waltzing in to Larry's den and dropping this on his desk...."Are we really THIS desperate for cash?":oops:

Brutus out

My thoughts exactly re: biohazard disposal. No it's not aerosol spray pattern and depending on the nap of the fabric it is deeper color then lightens. Definitely serviceable dis colorization and all. Don't think hole is bullet hole but wear or if truly blood shrapnel tear.

I just envision the high heel lady waltzing in to Larry's den and dropping this on his desk...."Are we really THIS desperate for cash?":oops:

Brutus out
Yeah I can't see any of that from the picture so from your assessment I'd send it back simply because if you can't rule out blood then it's suspect, period.

Blood rarely stays red for long periods, you could shine a black-light on it, use some Lumisol or just lick it and check the taste, failing that soak it in cold salt water

maybe its from a red sharpie. that's not a grenade pouch, that's a 100rd SAW/Utility pouch from the SAW Gunner Kit. It's also possible the staining is from a red dye of some sort.... Ive had gear with a little bit dried blood on it, and the blood stains were more brownish. Just drops and it looked like someone went to the effort of cleaning it as much as possible...
With tri-walls full of random gear from the Gov Liquidation sites; it's always possible that one or two pieces got through without being tagged bio-hazmat. I also have a BHI Omega Vest I got online that has what appears to be shrapnel burn marks on the shoulders.... no bloodstains though.

Upon closer examination with mag glass in very bright light it looks like the original very faded red cross and then some one put a deeper red pigment on the pull tab, and the tab only. No splatter or droplet pattern. Thus, not blood. Larry is off the hook.

Brutus Out

Yes blood will fade to a very deep red/brownish over time. If it's mil-surp, I would expect it to be old enough to have faded already. Chances are that its not biological.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top